* Following a date in a drawer fails
@ 2015-01-20  8:16 Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2015-01-20  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I just started to use appointment entries like

* Angela Merkel                                               :breakfast:
  :PROPERTIES:
  :APPT_DATE: <2015-01-21 Wed 09:00>
  :APPT_LOCA: Berlin
  :END:

I would have expected to be able to follow the link to the date with M-x
org-open-at-point (as always.)  But this is not the case.

Message: org-open-at-point: Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p, nil

Is this behavior intentional?  Am I missing something?

Best regards,  Marco
--
http://www.wahlzone.de
GPG: 0x49010A040A3AE6F2

* Re: Following a date in a drawer fails
@ 2015-01-20 20:48 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-01-20 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Wahl; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> writes:

> I just started to use appointment entries like
>
> * Angela Merkel                                               :breakfast:
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :APPT_DATE: <2015-01-21 Wed 09:00>
>   :APPT_LOCA: Berlin
>   :END:
>
> I would have expected to be able to follow the link to the date with M-x
> org-open-at-point (as always.)  But this is not the case.
>
> Message: org-open-at-point: Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p, nil

Fixed.

> Is this behavior intentional?  Am I missing something?

Actually, this is an ambiguous situation. As a convenient feature,
`org-open-link' is sloppy and can follow links and timestamps in
comments and properties drawers.

However, syntax doesn't allow timestamps in properties drawers, so
behaviour is undefined if you expect to use it for anything else (e.g.,
adding the entry in the agenda).

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Following a date in a drawer fails
@ 2015-01-21  7:44   ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2015-01-21  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Nicolas Goaziou

> Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I just started to use appointment entries like
>>
>> * Angela Merkel                                               :breakfast:
>>   :PROPERTIES:
>>   :APPT_DATE: <2015-01-21 Wed 09:00>
>>   :APPT_LOCA: Berlin
>>   :END:
>>
>> I would have expected to be able to follow the link to the date with M-x
>> org-open-at-point (as always.)  But this is not the case.
>>
>> Message: org-open-at-point: Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p, nil
>
> Fixed.

Thanks!

>> Is this behavior intentional?  Am I missing something?
>
> Actually, this is an ambiguous situation. As a convenient feature,
> `org-open-link' is sloppy and can follow links and timestamps in
> comments and properties drawers.
>
> However, syntax doesn't allow timestamps in properties drawers, so
> behaviour is undefined if you expect to use it for anything else (e.g.,
> adding the entry in the agenda).

Ahh, good to know.  Actually I counted on those entries appearing in the
agenda.  So it's time to change my appointment notations.

Ciao,  Marco
--
http://www.wahlzone.de
GPG: 0x49010A040A3AE6F2