* Release 6.23
@ 2009-02-20 10:23 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-20 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Orgmode

Hi,

I have released version 6.23 of org-mode.  This is a release
with some important changes, and I recommend to read the
release notes carefully.

Changes in Version 6.23
=======================

Overview
~~~~~~~~~

- Capture state change notes into a drawer
- Clock lines are now captured into the LOGBOOK drawer as well
- Added org-R.el to contrib directory
- Allow individual formatting of each TODO keyword in HTML export
- New hooks for add-ons to tap into context-sensitive commands
- Publishing files irrespective of extension
- New variable index in the manual
- The ORDERED property also influences checkboxes
- The ORDERED property can be tracked with a tag
- You may now specify line breaks in the fast tags interface
- When a TODO is blocked by checkboxes, keep it visible in agenda
- LaTeX can import Org's in-buffer definitions for TITLE, EMAIL etc.

Incompatible changes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- CLOCK lines will now be captured into the LOGBOOK drawer.
   See below for details.

Details
~~~~~~~~

Capture state change notes into a drawer

State change notes can now be captured into a drawer `LOGBOOK',
to keep the entry tidy.  If this is what you want, you will need
this configuration:

   (setq org-log-into-drawer "LOGBOOK")

Thanks to Wanrong Lin for this proposal.

Clock lines are now captured into the LOGBOOK drawer as well

The `CLOCK' drawer will be abandoned, clock lines will now also
end up in a drawer `LOGBOOK'.  The reason for this is that it's a
bit useless to have two different drawers for state change notes
and clock lines.  If you wish to keep the old way, use

   (setq org-clock-into-drawer "CLOCK")

Added org-R.el to contrib directory
====================================

Dan Davison has contributed /org-R.el/ which is now in the
contrib directory.  Org-R performs numerical computations and
generates graphics.  Data can come from org tables, or from csv
files; numerical output can be stored in the org buffer as org
tables, and links are created to files containing graphical
output.  Although, behind the scenes, it uses R, you do not need
to know anything about R.  Common operations, such as tabulating
discrete values in a column of an org table, are available "off
the shelf" by specifying options on lines starting with `#+R:'.
However, you can also provide raw R code to be evaluated.  The
documentation is currently the worg tutorial at
[http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-R/org-R.php]

Thanks to Dan for this great contribution.

Allow individual formatting of each TODO keyword in HTML export

TODO keywords in HTML export have the CSS class `todo' or `done'.
In addition to this, each keyword has now itself as class, so you
could do this in your CSS file:

   .todo { font-weight:bold; }
   .done { font-weight:bold; }
   .TODO { color:red; }
   .WAITING { color:orange; }
   .DONE { color:green; }

Thanks to Wanrong Lin for this request, and to Sebastian Rose for
help with the implementation.

New hooks for add-ons to tap into context-sensitive commands

Some commands in Org are context-sensitive, they will execute
different functions depending on context.  The most important
example is of course `C-c C-c', but also the `M-cursor' keys fall
into this category.

Org has now a system of hooks that can be used by add-on packages
to install their own functionality into these keys.  See the
docstring of `org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-hook' for details.  The other
hooks are named like `org-metaleft-hook' or
`org-shiftmetaright-hook'.

Publishing files irrespective of extension

If you set the `:base-extension' property for a publishing
project to the symbol `any', all files in the directory will be
published, irrespective of extension.

Thanks to Richard Klinda for a patch to this effect.

New variable index in the manual
=================================

A new index in the manual lists all variables mentioned in the
manual, about 200 variables in total.

The ORDERED property also influences checkboxes

When an entry has the ORDERED property set, checkboxes in
the entry must be completed in order.  This was already the case
for children TODO items, now it also applies for checkboxes.

Thanks to Rainer Stengele for this proposal.

The ORDERED property can be tracked with a tag

The `ORDERED' property is used to flag an entry so that subtasks
(both children TODO items and checkboxes) must be completed in
order.  This property is most easily toggled with the command
`C-c C-x o'.  A property was chosen for this functionality,
because this should be a behavior local to the current task, not
inherited like tags.  However, properties are normally
invisible.  If you would like visual feedback on the state of
this property, configure the variable
`org-track-ordered-property-with-tag'.  If you then use `C-c C-x
o' to toggle the property, a tag will be toggled as well, for
visual feedback.

Note that the tag itself has no meaning for the behavior of TODO
items and checkboxes, and that changing the tag with the usual
tag commands will not influence the property and therefore the
behavior of TODO and checkbox commands.

You may now specify line breaks in the fast tags interface

Up to now, the fast tags interface tried to lump as many tags as
possible into a single line, with the exception that groups would
always be on a line by themselves.

Now, if you use several lines to define your tags, like

   #+TAGS: aa(a) bb(b) cc(c)
   #+TAGS: dd(d) ee(e) ff(f)

then there will also be a line break after the "cc" tag in the
fast tag selection interface.  You may also write

   #+TAGS: aa(a) bb(b) cc(c) \n dd(d) ee(e) ff(f)

to achieve the same effect, and you can use `\n' several times in
order to produce empty lines.  In `org-tag-alist', newlines are
represented as `(:newline)'.

Thanks to Christopher Suckling for a patch to this effect.

When a TODO is blocked by checkboxes, keep it visible in agenda

When the variable `org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks' is set to
`invisible', tasks that are blocked will not be visible in the
agenda.  If the blocking is due to child TODO entries, this does
make sense because the children themselves will show up in the
TODO list.

However, as John Rakestraw has pointed out, if the blocking is
done by checkboxes, no trace of these subtasks is left.
Therefore, when the blocking is done by checkboxes, we now
overrule the `invisible' setting and replace it with mere dimming
of the task.

LaTeX can import Org's in-buffer definitions for TITLE, EMAIL etc.

If you configure `org-export-latex-import-inbuffer-stuff',
in-buffer definitions like #+TITLE will be made available in the
LaTeX file as `\orgTITLE'.

This was a request by Russel Adams.

* Re: Release 6.23
@ 2009-02-20 12:14 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-02-20 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2009-02-20 10:23 +0000, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> I have released version 6.23 of org-mode.  This is a release with some
> important changes, and I recommend to read the release notes
> carefully.

Will this or its bug fix release get into 23.1? I do hope so tho.

Best wishes,
--
.: Leo :. [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ] .: I use Emacs :.

* Re: Re: Release 6.23
@ 2009-02-20 14:48   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-20 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 20, 2009, at 1:14 PM, Leo wrote:

> On 2009-02-20 10:23 +0000, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> I have released version 6.23 of org-mode.  This is a release with
>> some
>> important changes, and I recommend to read the release notes
>> carefully.
>
> Will this or its bug fix release get into 23.1? I do hope so tho.

The issues I consider serious bug are still fixed in Emacs 23.1
No new features though.

So everything in the ist of changes is *not* going to make it.
Only the bugfixes that confirm here on the mailing list
with "fixed, thanks" usually make it.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Release 6.23
@ 2009-02-20 19:08   ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2009-02-20 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Glad to have different faces for TODO keywords now in HTML export. I
would think it is logical to extend that idea to tags too. Anybody
agrees? Thank you.

Wanrong