* Orgmode and filling
@ 2010-10-06 14:07 Guy Wiener
From: Guy Wiener @ 2010-10-06 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I noticed that org-mode buffers has a funny behavior with regards to line
wrapping: When the cursor crosses the edge of the frame, instead of placing
a "long line" marker and moving to the next line, the entire buffer is
shifted to the left and the cursor remains on the same line.
Can this behavior be disabled, and replaced the the same behavior as
in fundamental text editing? It is really annoying, especially when using
auto-fill mode.

Thanks,
  Guy.

* Re: Orgmode and filling
@ 2010-10-06 15:22 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2010-10-06 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guy Wiener; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Guy Wiener <wiener.guy@gmail.com> writes:

Hi, Guy,

> When the cursor crosses the edge of the
> frame, instead of placing a "long line" marker and moving to the next
> line, the entire buffer is shifted to the left and the cursor remains
> on the same line.

> Can this behavior be disabled, and replaced the the same behavior as
> in fundamental text editing? It is really annoying, especially when
> using auto-fill mode.

M-x toggle-truncate-lines          does help?

so that "Truncate long lines disabled".

Or place in your .emacs:
(setq truncate-lines t)

cheers,
Giovanni

* Re: Orgmode and filling
@ 2010-10-07 10:04   ` Guy Wiener
From: Guy Wiener @ 2010-10-07 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yes, that seems to do the trick - Thanks!
Btw, why is this option the default in org-mode? It is the opposite of
the fundamental mode.

:- Guy

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Giovanni Ridolfi
<giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it>wrote:

> Guy Wiener <wiener.guy@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi, Guy,
>
> > When the cursor crosses the edge of the
> > frame, instead of placing a "long line" marker and moving to the next
> > line, the entire buffer is shifted to the left and the cursor remains
> > on the same line.
>
> > Can this behavior be disabled, and replaced the the same behavior as
> > in fundamental text editing? It is really annoying, especially when
> > using auto-fill mode.
>
> M-x toggle-truncate-lines          does help?
>
> so that "Truncate long lines disabled".
>
> Or place in your .emacs:
> (setq truncate-lines t)
>
> cheers,
> Giovanni

* Re: Orgmode and filling
@ 2010-10-07 10:21     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-07 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guy Wiener; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 7, 2010, at 12:04 PM, Guy Wiener wrote:

> Yes, that seems to do the trick - Thanks!
> Btw, why is this option the default in org-mode? It is the opposite
> of the fundamental mode.

Because tables and source code look bad with lines wrapped around.
I have put a feature request into Emacs, asking for truncate-lines
to become a text property, then I could exclude tables from wrapping -
but until then, I'll keep the truncation default.

- Carsten

> :- Guy
>
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it
> > wrote:
> Guy Wiener <wiener.guy@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi, Guy,
>
> > When the cursor crosses the edge of the
> > frame, instead of placing a "long line" marker and moving to the
> next
> > line, the entire buffer is shifted to the left and the cursor
> remains
> > on the same line.
>
> > Can this behavior be disabled, and replaced the the same behavior as
> > in fundamental text editing? It is really annoying, especially when
> > using auto-fill mode.
>
> M-x toggle-truncate-lines          does help?
>
> so that "Truncate long lines disabled".
>
> Or place in your .emacs:
> (setq truncate-lines t)
>
> cheers,
> Giovanni

- Carsten

* Re: Orgmode and filling
@ 2010-10-07 10:32     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-10-07 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Guy Wiener <wiener.guy@gmail.com> writes:

Hi!

> Btw, why is this option the default in org-mode? It is the opposite of
> the fundamental mode.

It makes no big difference when using filling, because then you don't
have long lines that are truncated anyway.  The only lines that won't be
filled and might get long are headlines.  And those look weird when
being broken across many lines. (Try it out!)

Bye,
Tassilo