From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, po4a-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org,
	emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: 3 manuals fail to export to PO (gnus, idlwave, org)
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 18:00:58 +0300	[thread overview]

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 21:33:18 +0900
>
> 3 manuals distributed with emacs fail to export to po format when using the following command:
>
> po4a-gettextize -f texinfo -M utf8 -m name.texi -p name.texi.fr.po
>
> gnus.texi
>
> Use of uninitialized value $newfilepath in string eq at /opt/local/lib/perl5/5.24/Locale/Po4a/TeX.pm line 961.
> po4a::tex: Can't find gnus.texi with kpsewhich

I don't understand what this error message means, in terms of the
Texinfo sources.  Can you explain, please?  Taken at face value, it
looks like a bug in TeX.pm, whereby a variable is not initialized.

> idlwave.texi
>
> idlwave.texi:370: (po4a::tex)
> unmatched end of environment 'html'
> idlwave.texi:1242: (po4a::tex)
> unmatched end of environment 'html'
> idlwave.texi:2964: (po4a::tex)
> unmatched end of environment 'html'
> idlwave.texi:3101: (po4a::tex)
> unmatched end of environment 'html'
> idlwave.texi:3497: (po4a::tex)
> unmatched end of environment 'html'
> idlwave.texi:3559: (po4a::tex)
> unmatched end of environment 'html'
> idlwave.texi:4021: (po4a::tex)
> unmatched end of environment 'html'
> idlwave.texi:4078: (po4a::tex)
> unmatched end of environment 'html'

These all seem bogus, because the source looks correct to me.  Here's
the first instance:

  @html
  <A NAME="TUTORIAL"></A>
  @end html

I see nothing wrong here; do you?

(Maybe you are using an old version of the manual; I looked in what's
currently on the emacs-26 branch of the Emacs Git repository.)

> idlwave.texi:4088: (po4a::tex)
> un-balanced { in 'Whenever an IDL error occurs or a breakpoint is hit, I get'

Nothing wrong here, either:

  @enumerate

  @item @strong{Whenever an IDL error occurs or a breakpoint is hit, I get
  errors or strange behavior when I try to type anything into some of my
  IDLWAVE buffers.}

The Texinfo manual says it's okay to have multi-line text after @item:

     Write the text of the enumerated list in the same way as an itemized
  list: write a line starting with '@item' at the beginning of each item
  in the enumeration.  It is ok to have text following the '@item', and
  the text for an item can continue for several paragraphs.

Looks like po4a doesn't support this feature of the Texinfo language?

> org.texi
>
> perl just keeps churning data without outputting anything.

Hard to do anything with this, without more diagnostic data.

> A number of other manuals output errors but are properly exported to po:

These looks bogus as well.  E.g.:

> cmdargs.texi:726: (po4a::tex)
> unmatched end of environment 'vtable'

There's a matching "@vtable @env" on line 674.

So I submit these problems are bugs in po4a, and the Emacs manuals are
OK.

Thanks.