* bug#11710: 24.1.50; Bidi attributes are not exported in org-mode html output
       [not found] <CA++fsGGSgAUPUGuy6n=G0xB=7oHa3MHuDy+CxOnoNPAae3i+ug@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-06-14 19:42 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <8362aty921.fsf@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-06-14 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dov Grobgeld; +Cc: 11710

> Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:20:17 +0300
> From: Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>
>
> When using bidi (bi-direction) reordering together with org-mode, all
> paragraphs automatically become either RTL or LTR according to the
> emacs' Bidi heuristic algorithm.

Did you customize Emacs to dynamically determine the paragraph
direction in Org buffers?  By default they are forced to be
left-to-right.

> But when exporting to HTML, the resolved paragraph direction is not
> included. In HTML the paragraph directions must be set explicitly,
> e.g. by <div dir="RTL">...</div>, and they should be set according
> to the directions resolved by emacs.

To the Org maintainers: the resolved paragraph direction at character
position N in the current buffer can be retrieved like this:

  (save-excursion
    (goto-char N)
    (current-bidi-paragraph-direction))

@ 2012-06-15  6:17   ` Dov Grobgeld
       [not found]   ` <CA++fsGEeiz7E3n7FpdYOceEeKsxX5WZr-ZKH_qFzF86t9eh29w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Dov Grobgeld @ 2012-06-15  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 11710

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Eli Zaretskii
> > [stuff deleted]
>
> Did you customize Emacs to dynamically determine the paragraph
> direction in Org buffers?  By default they are forced to be
> left-to-right.

Yes, I changed that. Org-mode appears to me to work fine in dynamic
Bidi mode, so I don't understand the reasoning that it was turned off
by default.

> > [stuff deleted]
> To the Org maintainers: the resolved paragraph direction at character
> position N in the current buffer can be retrieved like this:
>
>  (save-excursion
>    (goto-char N)
>    (current-bidi-paragraph-direction))

Ok, thanks. Perhaps I'll have a go at it on my own.

Regards,
Dov

@ 2012-06-15  7:55     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-06-15  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dov Grobgeld; +Cc: 11710

> Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 09:17:36 +0300
> From: Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>
> Cc: 11710@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Eli Zaretskii
> > > [stuff deleted]
> >
> > Did you customize Emacs to dynamically determine the paragraph
> > direction in Org buffers?  By default they are forced to be
> > left-to-right.
>
> Yes, I changed that. Org-mode appears to me to work fine in dynamic
> Bidi mode, so I don't understand the reasoning that it was turned off
> by default.

2 reasons:

 . If you maintain Org files with mixed L2R and R2L contents, having
   some items on the left and some on the right looks messed up,
   especially if the parent item is on the other side of the window.

 . Performance.  Dynamic detection of paragraph direction can slow
   down redisplay, if you have long stretches of items without empty
   lines to separate them.  When sub-trees are hidden, this could
   cause an annoying effect whereby moving cursor past one visible
   line causes a perceptible delay (because there are many hundreds of
   hidden lines Emacs needs to move through in the buffer).  This
   punishes Org users who don't use bidirectional scripts, which are
   the majority of Org users.  So in traditions of democracy, the
   majority wins...

> >  (save-excursion
> >    (goto-char N)
> >    (current-bidi-paragraph-direction))
>
> Ok, thanks. Perhaps I'll have a go at it on my own.

Please consider reporting here if you get it to work, because Org
maintainers may wish to use your code.

TIA

* bug#11710: Status: 24.1.50; Bidi attributes are not exported in org-mode html output
@ 2020-05-22 11:41 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-05-22 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug#11710

bug#11710 <11710@debbugs.gnu.org> writes:

> retitle 11710 24.1.50; Bidi attributes are not exported in org-mode html output
> reassign 11710 emacs,org-mode
> submitter 11710 Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>
> severity 11710 normal

Closing this old bug, as there was no follow-up.

If the problem still exists, please report it to emacs-orgmode@gnu.org.

--
 Bastien