* Bug and feature request in HTML export
@ 2009-02-10 21:06 Rasmus Pank Roulund
From: Rasmus Pank Roulund @ 2009-02-10 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,
There seems to be a bug in HTML export.
I am using Org for making a (fancy) web site.
I define the top menu via a list which is made fancy via CSS.

The Org file looks like this:

    #+HTML: <div id="topbar">

      - [[file:index.org][Forside]]
      - [[file:eksempler.org][Eksempler]]

    #+HTML: </div>

The corrosponding HTML code looks like this:

    <ul>
    <li>
    </li>
    <li>
    </li>

    </li>
    </ul>

Thus, when I try to validate the site it gets errors! It should look
like

    </li>
    </ul>

I tried to insert a comment (#) after the list but Org still ended div
before ul.

I also have a couple of feature request/bug reports for html export:

First: it would be nice if one could specify the location of the title
similar to the [TABLE-OF-CONTENTS] option. At the moment it seems to
always be placed in the top of the page, which might not be desirable.

Second: I do not know if this is a feature, but * Heading (i.e. a first
level heading) is marked as a <h2> heading. It should probably be
<h1>. At least one should be able to define it as a <h1> heading.

Third (bug): Sometimes links are rendered wrong:
 [[http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/k/keynes/john_maynard/k44g/k44g.html]]
 notice the <sub>-tags!

Forth: Sometimes it is desirable to be able to #+HTML in links and
titles. This is not possible.
For example:
or
[[http://scripts.sil.org/xetex][
]]

Thanks,
Rasmus

* Re: Bug and feature request in HTML export
@ 2009-02-10 22:53 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-10 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus Pank Roulund; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 10, 2009, at 10:06 PM, Rasmus Pank Roulund wrote:

> Hello,
> There seems to be a bug in HTML export.
> I am using Org for making a (fancy) web site.
> I define the top menu via a list which is made fancy via CSS.
>
> The Org file looks like this:
>
>    #+HTML: <div id="topbar">
>
>      - [[file:index.org][Forside]]
>      - [[file:eksempler.org][Eksempler]]
>
>    #+HTML: </div>

Org cannot know that you do want to end the list here, the HTML
insertion might be part of the list.

I do not know how to fix this.

> I also have a couple of feature request/bug reports for html export:
>
> First: it would be nice if one could specify the location of the title
> similar to the [TABLE-OF-CONTENTS] option. At the moment it seems to
> always be placed in the top of the page, which might not be desirable.

It seems to me quite reasonable to put it at the top of the page.
Don't forget that Org is not a full HTML editor, it just tried to do
a good job at converting your file.

> Second: I do not know if this is a feature, but * Heading (i.e. a
> first
> level heading) is marked as a <h2> heading. It should probably be
> <h1>. At least one should be able to define it as a <h1> heading.

See `org-export-html-toplevel-nlevel', and also see
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-customize.php

> Third (bug): Sometimes links are rendered wrong:
> [[http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/k/keynes/john_maynard/k44g/k44g.html
> ]]
> is rendered as <a href="http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/k/keynes/john_maynard/k44g/k44g.html
> ">http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/k/keynes/john<sub>maynard</
> sub>/k44g/k44g.html</a>
> notice the <sub>-tags!

You do not have a recent version of Org-mode.  Please always
try the latest version before reporting bugs.

> Forth: Sometimes it is desirable to be able to #+HTML in links and
> titles. This is not possible.
> For example:
> or
> [[http://scripts.sil.org/xetex][
> ]]

This is not supported currently, and I am not sure we will get there.
For this specific case you will get away with

However, if you need this much or more control, maybe Muse
will be a better option.

- Carsten

* Re: Bug and feature request in HTML export
@ 2009-02-10 23:17   ` Rasmus Pank Roulund
From: Rasmus Pank Roulund @ 2009-02-10 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

Hello,

> Org cannot know that you do want to end the list here, the HTML
> insertion might be part of the list.
>
> I do not know how to fix this.
I see your point. But if i have a lot of blank lines it probably should
not be included. Somehow one needs to signal to Org that this is not
part of the list. The most obvious signal seems to be a lot of blank
lines, or does that solution contain undesirable sideeffects?

> It seems to me quite reasonable to put it at the top of the page.
Sure, but it might be useful to have the title several places on the
site. Sometimes it might be useful to place it elsewhere than the top.

> Don't forget that Org is not a full HTML editor, it just tried to do a
> good job at converting your file.

I know :-) But it is still the best HTML "editor"/parser I have used in
a looong time! The publish feature is fantanstic. Good job BTW!

> You do not have a recent version of Org-mode.  Please always try the
> latest version before reporting bugs.
I have 6.22b but the page had not been refreshed with the new
version. Sorry!

> This is not supported currently, and I am not sure we will get there.
Maybe one day :-)

> For this specific case you will get away with ...
Thanks!

> However, if you need this much or more control, maybe Muse will be a
> better option.
Org rocks. 'Nuff said :-)

BTW: Is it possible make part of a word italicized. I.e. Ti/k/Z where
the 'k' is italicized?

Thanks for Org.
-Rasmus

* Re: Re: Bug and feature request in HTML export
@ 2009-02-11  0:51     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-02-11  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus Pank Roulund; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus Pank Roulund <rasmus.pank@gmail.com> writes:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
> Hello,
>
>> Org cannot know that you do want to end the list here, the HTML
>> insertion might be part of the list.
>>
>> I do not know how to fix this.
> I see your point. But if i have a lot of blank lines it probably should
> not be included. Somehow one needs to signal to Org that this is not
> part of the list. The most obvious signal seems to be a lot of blank
> lines, or does that solution contain undesirable sideeffects?

M-x customize-variable RET org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists

will do what you need.

Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472
Fax:   +49 (0)1805 - 233633 - 11044
mobil: +49 (0)173 - 83 93 417
Http:  www.emma-stil.de

* Re: Bug and feature request in HTML export
@ 2009-02-12 18:17       ` Rasmus Pank Roulund
From: Rasmus Pank Roulund @ 2009-02-12 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Sebastian,

> M-x customize-variable RET org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists
> will do what you need.

Thank you so much. It worked like a charm. Have a nice weekend.
Cheers,
Rasmus