* Hiding Properties and Log drawers from export.
@ 2011-03-14 13:12 John Tarbotton
From: John Tarbotton @ 2011-03-14 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have some headings with notes following.  I would like to use the settings.
 '(org-agenda-add-entry-text-maxlines 5)
 '(org-agenda-entry-text-maxlines 5)
The issue I have is that I get all the property drawers cluttering up the file.
 Is there a way to prevent the Property and Logfile Drawers from being exported?
 I also would like them not to show when I use the E command but that is a
smaller issue. As it is I do an export and then edit the HTML files to remove
the unwanted stuff to print out my list.

I tried to find the answer by searching online but unfortunately I was unable to
come up with a search pattern which gave me the needed information. Is there a
better mailing list to post usage questions like this?

* Re: Hiding Properties and Log drawers from export.
@ 2011-03-14 14:37 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-03-14 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Tarbotton; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

John Tarbotton <jtarbotton@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have some headings with notes following.  I would like to use the settings.
>  '(org-agenda-add-entry-text-maxlines 5)
>  '(org-agenda-entry-text-maxlines 5)
> The issue I have is that I get all the property drawers cluttering up the file.
>  Is there a way to prevent the Property and Logfile Drawers from being exported?
>  I also would like them not to show when I use the E command but that is a
> smaller issue. As it is I do an export and then edit the HTML files to remove
> the unwanted stuff to print out my list.

Check the value of the following variable (with C-h v org-export-with-drawers <RET>):

,----

`----

> I tried to find the answer by searching online but unfortunately I was unable to
> come up with a search pattern which gave me the needed information. Is there a
> better mailing list to post usage questions like this?

Nope - this is the right place.

Nick

* Re: Hiding Properties and Log drawers from export.
@ 2011-03-14 14:46 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-03-14 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Tarbotton; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

John Tarbotton <jtarbotton@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have some headings with notes following.  I would like to use the settings.
>  '(org-agenda-add-entry-text-maxlines 5)
>  '(org-agenda-entry-text-maxlines 5)
> The issue I have is that I get all the property drawers cluttering up the file.
>  Is there a way to prevent the Property and Logfile Drawers from being exported?
>  I also would like them not to show when I use the E command but that is a
> smaller issue. As it is I do an export and then edit the HTML files to remove
> the unwanted stuff to print out my list.
>
> I tried to find the answer by searching online but unfortunately I was unable to
> come up with a search pattern which gave me the needed information. Is there a
> better mailing list to post usage questions like this?

BTW, there was a discussion of some rather more effective search methods for
things like this on the list a few weeks ago. Look at the thread that starts
here:

        http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/38219

Nick

* Re: Hiding Properties and Log drawers from export.
@ 2011-03-14 15:51   ` John Tarbotton
From: John Tarbotton @ 2011-03-14 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos <at> hp.com> writes:

> John Tarbotton <jtarbotton <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  Is there a way to prevent the Property and Logfile Drawers from
> >   being exported?
>
> Check the value of the following variable (with C-h v
> org-export-with-drawers <RET>):
>
> Nick

Thanks for the reply that would seem to be what I need. In fact it got me
half way there.  I set it nil using the menu. The LOGFILE drawers are gone
but the property drawers are still there.  The documentation indicates it
works with the PROPERTIES draw so I'll keep trying.  Maybe I did something
to the .org file that is messing it up.

* Re: Hiding Properties and Log drawers from export.
@ 2011-03-14 16:46     ` John Tarbotton
From: John Tarbotton @ 2011-03-14 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Tarbotton <jtarbotton <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > Check the value of the following variable (with C-h v
> > org-export-with-drawers <RET>):
>
> Thanks for the reply that would seem to be what I need. In fact it got me
> half way there.  I set it nil using the menu. The LOGFILE drawers are gone
> but the property drawers are still there.

I got everything working now.  I had to add PROPERTIES to the #+DRAWERS: line

* Re: Hiding Properties and Log drawers from export.
@ 2011-03-14 16:51     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-03-14 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Tarbotton; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

John Tarbotton <jtarbotton@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos <at> hp.com> writes:
>
> > John Tarbotton <jtarbotton <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >  Is there a way to prevent the Property and Logfile Drawers from
> > >   being exported?
> >
> > Check the value of the following variable (with C-h v
> > org-export-with-drawers <RET>):
> >
> > Nick
> >

> Thanks for the reply that would seem to be what I need. In fact it got me
> half way there.  I set it nil using the menu. The LOGFILE drawers are gone
> but the property drawers are still there.  The documentation indicates it
> works with the PROPERTIES draw so I'll keep trying.  Maybe I did something
> to the .org file that is messing it up.

That's strange. Maybe you can try by setting the variable in the file explicitly.
By uncommenting one of the OPTIONS lines below and leaving the other two commented
out, I can get just the LOGBOOK exported; or both LOGBOOK and PROPERTIES; or neither.

* Target

* Test
:PROPERTIES:
:COLUMNS:  %40ITEM %Link1 %Link2
:END:

** Test Heading
 :LOGBOOK:
   CLOCK: [2011-03-14 Mon 12:35]--[2011-03-14 Mon 12:35] =>  0:00
 :END:
 :PROPERTIES:
 :Link1: [[* Target]]
 :END:

** Test File
 :PROPERTIES:
 :Link1: [[file:somewhere]]
 :END:

Nick

* Re: Hiding Properties and Log drawers from export.
@ 2011-03-14 17:00       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-03-14 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Tarbotton; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

John Tarbotton <jtarbotton@gmail.com> wrote:

> John Tarbotton <jtarbotton <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > > Check the value of the following variable (with C-h v
> > > org-export-with-drawers <RET>):
> >
> > Thanks for the reply that would seem to be what I need. In fact it got me
> > half way there.  I set it nil using the menu. The LOGFILE drawers are gone
> > but the property drawers are still there.
>
> I got everything working now.  I had to add PROPERTIES to the #+DRAWERS: line

Ah, OK: that makes sense. The #+DRAWERS line doesn't augment the default
setting, it replaces it. I was trying without a #+DRAWERS line at all,
so I was getting the default org-drawers.[fn:1]

Thanks!
Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1] Well, an augmented version, but PROPERTIES is still an element of it:

,----

`----