* graphviz dot block export and evaluate
@ 2012-09-28 16:51 Dmitri Makarov
From: Dmitri Makarov @ 2012-09-28 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi all,

Has anyone successfully exported and evaluated src blocks with graphviz dot code?
I'm trying to export this block

   #+BEGIN_SRC dot :export both
     digraph G {
       A -> B
     }
   #+END_SRC

and I'm getting the error

org-babel-exp processing...
executing Dot code block...
file-name-extension: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

How do you debug such problems?

Regards,

Dmitri

* Re: graphviz dot block export and evaluate
@ 2012-09-28 17:07 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-28 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitri Makarov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Dmitri,

Dmitri Makarov <dmakarv@gmail.com> writes:

>    #+BEGIN_SRC dot :export both
>      digraph G {
>        A -> B
>      }
>    #+END_SRC

You need a :file parameter:

#+BEGIN_SRC dot :file test.png :export both
digraph G {
  A -> B
}
#+END_SRC

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: graphviz dot block export and evaluate
@ 2012-09-28 17:14 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-09-28 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitri Makarov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Dmitri Makarov <dmakarv@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone successfully exported and evaluated src blocks with
> graphviz dot code?
> I'm trying to export this block
>
>    #+BEGIN_SRC dot :export both
>      digraph G {
>        A -> B
>      }
>    #+END_SRC
>
> and I'm getting the error
>
> org-babel-exp processing...
> executing Dot code block...
> file-name-extension: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>
> How do you debug such problems?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dmitri

Aloha Dmitri,

Currently, you can debug such problems by looking at the source code of
ob-dot.el.  Or, by asking the list, as you did.

Your example is lacking a :file header argument.  dot source code blocks
produce graphics files and babel leaves it to the user to name the
output file.  The file-name-extension function is looking for the value
of the :file header argument, so that it can configure the call to dot.
It is expecting to see a string, but gets nil because the header
argument is absent.

Also, the correct keyword is :exports, with a final "s".

You can find an example of dot code use here:
http://www.jstatsoft.org/v46/i03

hth,
Tom
--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: graphviz dot block export and evaluate
@ 2012-09-28 17:27   ` Dmitri Makarov
From: Dmitri Makarov @ 2012-09-28 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Tom and Bastien,

Thank you, your answers helped a lot.
My fault that I used "export" not "exports" and that I didn't read the section Specific header arguments in the Org manual.

Thanks!

Dmitri