emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* org-version reported as 6.33x after upgrading to the "latest and greatest" with Emacs' Package Manager
@ 2012-01-30 11:40 Angel de Vicente
  2012-01-30 13:45 ` Jambunathan K
  2012-01-30 17:50 ` Jambunathan K
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2012-01-30 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I'm running Emacs 23.2.1 (bundled with Ubuntu 11.04), and until now I
was running the org-mode package that came with it (6.33x). Today I
decided to update to the latest org version, and I followed the
instructions at http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#installing-via-elpa

When I do M-x locate-library RET org I get:
Library is file ~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120129/org.elc

which looks good, but if I do M-x org-version I get:
Org-mode version 6.33x

In my .emacs file I have 
;; Org-mode
;;********************************************
(require 'org-install)
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))
(define-key global-map "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(define-key global-map "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(define-key global-map "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)
(global-font-lock-mode 1)
(setq org-log-done t)

and at the end of the file

(setq load-path (cons "~/Emacs-custom" load-path))
(require 'package)
(package-initialize)

Did I miss something else that I should do? I was planning on getting
rid of the version that comes with Emacs, but I thought I should ask
first...

Thanks,
-- 
Ángel de Vicente
http://angel-de-vicente.blogspot.com/

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: org-version reported as 6.33x after upgrading to the "latest and greatest" with Emacs' Package Manager
  2012-01-30 11:40 org-version reported as 6.33x after upgrading to the "latest and greatest" with Emacs' Package Manager Angel de Vicente
@ 2012-01-30 13:45 ` Jambunathan K
  2012-01-30 15:30   ` Angel de Vicente
  2012-01-30 16:35   ` Sankalp
  2012-01-30 17:50 ` Jambunathan K
  1 sibling, 2 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-01-30 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angel de Vicente; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running Emacs 23.2.1 (bundled with Ubuntu 11.04), and until now I
> was running the org-mode package that came with it (6.33x). Today I
> decided to update to the latest org version, and I followed the
> instructions at http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#installing-via-elpa
>
> When I do M-x locate-library RET org I get:
> Library is file ~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120129/org.elc
>
> which looks good, but if I do M-x org-version I get:
> Org-mode version 6.33x
>
> In my .emacs file I have 
> ;; Org-mode
> ;;********************************************
> (require 'org-install)
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))
> (define-key global-map "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
> (define-key global-map "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
> (define-key global-map "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)
> (global-font-lock-mode 1)
> (setq org-log-done t)
>
> and at the end of the file
>
> (setq load-path (cons "~/Emacs-custom" load-path))
> (require 'package)
> (package-initialize)
>
> Did I miss something else that I should do? I was planning on getting
> rid of the version that comes with Emacs, but I thought I should ask
> first...

1. Did you restart Emacs?
2. If you remove (require 'org-install) does it help?
3. Emacs-24.1 (currently in pre-test) has the latest and greatest Org.

> Thanks,

-- 

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: org-version reported as 6.33x after upgrading to the "latest and greatest" with Emacs' Package Manager
  2012-01-30 13:45 ` Jambunathan K
@ 2012-01-30 15:30   ` Angel de Vicente
  2012-01-30 17:02     ` Jambunathan K
  2012-01-30 16:35   ` Sankalp
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2012-01-30 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[-- Warning: decoded text below may be mangled, UTF-8 assumed --]
[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 956 bytes --]

Hi,

Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:

> Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> writes:
>> which looks good, but if I do M-x org-version I get:
>> Org-mode version 6.33x

[...]


> 1. Did you restart Emacs?

yes

> 2. If you remove (require 'org-install) does it help?

no

> 3. Emacs-24.1 (currently in pre-test) has the latest and greatest Org.

but for the moment I would prefer not to upgrade Emacs.

Any idea on how to test if org is getting confused with 6.33 beyond
reporting that as its version?

Thanks,
-- 
Ángel de Vicente
http://www.iac.es/galeria/angelv/          
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADVERTENCIA: Sobre la privacidad y cumplimiento de la Ley de Protección de Datos, acceda a http://www.iac.es/disclaimer.php
WARNING: For more information on privacy and fulfilment of the Law concerning the Protection of Data, consult http://www.iac.es/disclaimer.php?lang=en

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: org-version reported as 6.33x after upgrading to the "latest and greatest" with Emacs' Package Manager
  2012-01-30 13:45 ` Jambunathan K
  2012-01-30 15:30   ` Angel de Vicente
@ 2012-01-30 16:35   ` Sankalp
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Sankalp @ 2012-01-30 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Angel de Vicente, emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1896 bytes --]

On 30 January 2012 19:15, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running Emacs 23.2.1 (bundled with Ubuntu 11.04), and until now I
> > was running the org-mode package that came with it (6.33x). Today I
> > decided to update to the latest org version, and I followed the
> > instructions at http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#installing-via-elpa
> >
> > When I do M-x locate-library RET org I get:
> > Library is file ~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120129/org.elc
> >
> > which looks good, but if I do M-x org-version I get:
> > Org-mode version 6.33x
>

Try going to the *scratch* buffer, doing an M-x load-library org and
evaluating the value of the sexp "org-version" (using C-j with the cursor
placed immediately after it).
Does that give you a different result, or is it still 6.33x?


> >
> > In my .emacs file I have
> > ;; Org-mode
> > ;;********************************************
> > (require 'org-install)
> > (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))
> > (define-key global-map "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
> > (define-key global-map "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
> > (define-key global-map "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)
> > (global-font-lock-mode 1)
> > (setq org-log-done t)
> >
> > and at the end of the file
> >
> > (setq load-path (cons "~/Emacs-custom" load-path))
> > (require 'package)
> > (package-initialize)
> >
> > Did I miss something else that I should do? I was planning on getting
> > rid of the version that comes with Emacs, but I thought I should ask
> > first...
>

If you get the newer org installed and running,  I don't see a reason to
manually "remove" the one that comes with Emacs, unless you've got space
issues.


> 1. Did you restart Emacs?
> 2. If you remove (require 'org-install) does it help?
> 3. Emacs-24.1 (currently in pre-test) has the latest and greatest Org.
>
> > Thanks,
>
> --
>
>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 3127 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: org-version reported as 6.33x after upgrading to the "latest and greatest" with Emacs' Package Manager
  2012-01-30 15:30   ` Angel de Vicente
@ 2012-01-30 17:02     ` Jambunathan K
  2012-01-31  5:19       ` Angel de Vicente
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-01-30 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angel de Vicente; +Cc: emacs-orgmode


> Any idea on how to test if org is getting confused with 6.33 beyond
> reporting that as its version?

In your .emacs file, *just before* package-initialize add this and
restart Emacs.

(when (featurep 'org)
  (error "Some mysterious force has already loaded org. Investigate why
  this is so."))

In the above operation, if you see that some mysterious force is indeed
operating, demystify the force by adding the following line to the *top*
of your .emacs and restart emacs.

(setq debug-on-error t)
(eval-after-load 'org '(error "Some mysterious force is loading Org"))

Note that Org could be loaded automatically from system path, if
somewhere in the init sequence an Org file is visited (are you using
desktop save or session save related libraries?) or you have some custom
org related code.

It is possible that backtrace may give you an hint on what possibly
could be happening in your load sequence.

Jambunathan K.

In my .emacs file I have 
;; Org-mode
;;********************************************
(require 'org-install)
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))
(define-key global-map "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(define-key global-map "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(define-key global-map "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)
(global-font-lock-mode 1)
(setq org-log-done t)

and at the end of the file

(setq load-path (cons "~/Emacs-custom" load-path))
(require 'package)
(package-initialize)

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: org-version reported as 6.33x after upgrading to the "latest and greatest" with Emacs' Package Manager
  2012-01-30 11:40 org-version reported as 6.33x after upgrading to the "latest and greatest" with Emacs' Package Manager Angel de Vicente
  2012-01-30 13:45 ` Jambunathan K
@ 2012-01-30 17:50 ` Jambunathan K
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-01-30 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angel de Vicente; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> writes:

> and at the end of the file
>
> (setq load-path (cons "~/Emacs-custom" load-path))
> (require 'package)
> (package-initialize)
>
> Did I miss something else that I should do? I was planning on getting
> rid of the version that comes with Emacs, but I thought I should ask
> first...

If there is a mysterious force loading Org from the *system path* *and*
if you *don't* have Org checked out in one of your local directories ,
then you can as well move the above three lines to the top of your
.emacs. This way your elpa path will override system location.

-- 

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: org-version reported as 6.33x after upgrading to the "latest and greatest" with Emacs' Package Manager
  2012-01-30 17:02     ` Jambunathan K
@ 2012-01-31  5:19       ` Angel de Vicente
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2012-01-31  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[-- Warning: decoded text below may be mangled, UTF-8 assumed --]
[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 2034 bytes --]

Hi,

Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:

>> Any idea on how to test if org is getting confused with 6.33 beyond
>> reporting that as its version?
>
> In your .emacs file, *just before* package-initialize add this and
> restart Emacs.
>
> (when (featurep 'org)
>   (error "Some mysterious force has already loaded org. Investigate why
>   this is so."))

Yes, there were mysterious forces... :-)

As I recall it I had two problems in my .emacs file:

1) a line:

(find-file "~/org/MAIN.org")

2) and 
;; Remember-Mode
(org-remember-insinuate)
(setq org-directory "/home/angelv/org/")
(setq org-default-notes-file (concat org-directory "/notes.org"))
(define-key global-map "\C-cr" 'org-remember)

Those were forcing the bundled org version to load.

Issue solved by:

* Moving line in 1) right after the (package-initialize) right at the
bottom of my .emacs

* Getting rid of lines in 2) and substituting them by:
(setq org-directory "/home/angelv/org/")
(setq org-default-notes-file (concat org-directory "notes.org"))
(define-key global-map "\C-cc" 'org-capture)

* Putting out of the way the directory where the bundled ORG was
  (probably not needed, but for extra peace of mind)


BUT, I still could not capture anything with C-cc, and I got an error
about org-called-interactively-p not being valid/defined.. (don't
remember now). It looks like the new org was byte-compiled when the old
org was active and there were some issues in there. Deleting all the
.elc files, making sure that only the new org was active and then
byte-compiling the .el files again did the trick.

Cheers,
-- 
Ángel de Vicente
http://www.iac.es/galeria/angelv/          
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADVERTENCIA: Sobre la privacidad y cumplimiento de la Ley de Protección de Datos, acceda a http://www.iac.es/disclaimer.php
WARNING: For more information on privacy and fulfilment of the Law concerning the Protection of Data, consult http://www.iac.es/disclaimer.php?lang=en

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2012-01-31  5:19 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 7+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2012-01-30 11:40 org-version reported as 6.33x after upgrading to the "latest and greatest" with Emacs' Package Manager Angel de Vicente
2012-01-30 13:45 ` Jambunathan K
2012-01-30 15:30   ` Angel de Vicente
2012-01-30 17:02     ` Jambunathan K
2012-01-31  5:19       ` Angel de Vicente
2012-01-30 16:35   ` Sankalp
2012-01-30 17:50 ` Jambunathan K

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).