* feature request: changing the way numeric priorities are calculated
@ 2011-06-05  3:51 Filippo A. Salustri
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2011-06-05  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

As I understand org - at least as of v7.4, the numeric values of
priorities as calculated in org-get-priority, are variable and based
on multiplying things by 1000.
I can understand why this is done this way, but it is a little restrictive.

I would like to suggest that the numeric values of priorities be fixed
between 0 and some value that can be user-defined, and that
org-get-priority be tweaked to return a value between 0 and the max
value, based on the range of priorities (i.e. from org-lowest-priority
to org-highest-priority).

So, for instance if you set the max numeric priority to 10, it
wouldn't matter if you had 3 priority levels or 100, they'd all range
between 0 and 10.

In my case, I'm asking for this because I'm writing a user-defined
comparator function that combines a number of features into a single
measure of 'importance' (toodledo does something similar), and having
the ability to essentially 'weight' the priority with respect to other
values would be very useful.

I'd try to do the changes myself, but I'm just not up to the task these days.

Thoughts?
Cheers.
Fil Salustri

--
\V/_
Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.

* Re: feature request: changing the way numeric priorities are calculated
@ 2011-06-05  4:26 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-06-05  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I do

(defun alpha-org-priority-score (&optional sg)
  (case (alpha-org-entry-priority-letter sg)
    (?A 2)
    (?B 0)
    (?C -1)
    (t (error "Case exhausted for priority"))))

I support the Whittemore-Peterson Institute (WPI)
===
Extreme bigotry against people with deadly serious diseases is still
extreme bigotry.

* Re: [OT] feature request: changing the way numeric priorities are calculated
@ 2011-06-05 11:11   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-06-05 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Samuel

Someone has gotta speak.

1. Please quote the relevant text in your replies.

2. If you really intend to help may be you should add more words to your
   text. I feel your replies are Latin to me. I do think many feel
   likewise. Save your precious key strokes for the nth problem that you
   yourself will report in the future but wouldn't condescend to debug
   yourself.

Jambunathan K.

* Re: [OT] feature request: changing the way numeric priorities are calculated
@ 2011-06-05 11:26     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-06-05 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Samuel
>
> Someone has gotta speak.
>
> 1. Please quote the relevant text in your replies.
>
> 2. If you really intend to help may be you should add more words to your
>    text. I feel your replies are Latin to me. I do think many feel
>    likewise. Save your precious key strokes for the nth problem that you
>    yourself will report in the future but wouldn't condescend to debug
>    yourself.

So refrain from replying to other's maladies.

@ 2011-06-05 17:23   ` Filippo A. Salustri
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2011-06-05 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could you explain (alpha-org-entry-priority-letter sg), and where you
would use alpha-org-priority-score.
Also, while I see what you're doing in the code, I would prefer
something not so rigid (i.e. expecting only 3 levels of priority and
having the values for those priorities hardwired into the code).
Cheers.
Fil

--

@ 2011-06-05 20:36     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-06-05 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5.6.2011, at 13:11, Jambunathan K wrote:

> Samuel
>
> Someone has gotta speak.
>
> 1. Please quote the relevant text in your replies.
>
> 2. If you really intend to help may be you should add more words to your
>   text. I feel your replies are Latin to me. I do think many feel
>   likewise. Save your precious key strokes for the nth problem that you
>   yourself will report in the future but wouldn't condescend to debug
>   yourself.

Hi Jambunatan (and others who are not aware of this),

Samuel has, IIUC, a severe illness which limits his ability
to write extended amounts of text.  We (I certainly, but I
think many others) have come to accept that his mails are
not always easily understandable without some effort
and looking for context in the thread.  I ignore the
ones I cannot grasp.  I good moments, Samuel is a clear
thinker who has contributed many ideas and bug reports for
many years.  If you look back in the archives you will
be able to appreciate this.

With kind regards

- Carsten