Nick Dokos writes: > Jambunathan K wrote: > >> >> Nick >> >> What Brian is saying is this and I am interpreting. >> >> There is a line by line correspondence between the two files. So, See the attached screenshot. >> 1. Put the English file under version control and check it in. This is recital.txt.~HEAD~ in the upper window. >> 2. Overwrite the English file with the Sanskrit file (remember to >> preserve line by line correspondence) and check the sanskrit file in. Just overwrite but don't check it in. This recital.txt is in the lower window. >> 3. Now do a C-x v u to launch ediff on the two versions of the file. Two >> windows will pop up and IIRC, you can arrange for the windows to be >> either arranged side by side or one on top of another. >> 4. Press q on Ediff control panel so that diff overlays are removed >> while leaving the windows intact. >> The command should be C-x v = which I have arranged so that it launches ediff for me with the two buffers arranged one below the other. (I have some customizations and I can dig out my customization if you need. My customizations pre-date Emacs-24.1) But Emacs-24.1 does have a vc-ediff. So I believe C-x v = can rebound to vc-ediff if it isn't already. Also note the cursors in the two windows. > I don't understand what the first four steps do for you. My setup is so old (and is so part of the way I do commits for as long as I remember) that I confused myself into thinking that they are part of Emacs. I am not to blame here, only my memory. >> 5. Now do M-x scroll-all-mode so that the two windows scroll >> together. Cursor position in the two windows can be used to guiding >> the eyeballs of the audience. >> > > All you need for this is two side-by-side windows with the two files and > scroll-all-mode[fn:1]. Ediff (and source control) is irrelevant - > correct? Correct. Ediff is not needed. But it is convenient. No C-x C-fs twice over or splitting windows (atleast in my case) > If only hl-line-highlight played well with scroll-all-mode... We can make a feature request. > >> An advanced option will be to siphon off each stanza in the recital in >> to separate files of their own and put the sanskrit and english files in >> separate directories (but with the same name) as below. >> >> english/stanza1 >> english/stanza2 >> >> sanskrit/stanza1 >> sanskrit/stanza2 >> >> Then one can do M-x ediff-directories to have all the stanzas show up >> and then launch ediff on each of the stanzas. >> > > I might try this to see how it works but it'd take more time than I can > afford right now. > > Thanks, > Nick > > Footnotes: > > [fn:1] I was looking for that and didn't find it - thanks for pointing > it out. I thought at first that follow-mode was what was needed, > but that wasn't it.