* [WIP] OpenOffice Exporter
@ 2010-10-10  6:39 Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2010-10-10  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am working on a Org->OpenOffice/ODT exporter.

This is a WIP announcement. I am posting this with an intention to hear
of and preferably avoid any parallell efforts.

I am basing it on org-html.el.

As it stands now in my own work area, it can export an outline structure
and has support for

1. character styles
   - bold, italic, underline, strikethrough, code, verbatim

2. paragraph styles
   - quote, verse, center, example and source code

3. lists
   - numbered, bulleted and description lists

4. table of contents

Still a long a way to go ...

Jambunathan K.

* Re: [WIP] OpenOffice Exporter
@ 2010-10-10  7:54 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2010-10-10  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 12:09:50PM +0530, Jambunathan K wrote:

> I am working on a Org->OpenOffice/ODT exporter.
>
> This is a WIP announcement. I am posting this with an intention to hear
> of and preferably avoid any parallell efforts.
>
> I am basing it on org-html.el.
>
> As it stands now in my own work area, it can export an outline structure
> and has support for
>
> 1. character styles
>    - bold, italic, underline, strikethrough, code, verbatim
>
> 2. paragraph styles
>    - quote, verse, center, example and source code
>
> 3. lists
>    - numbered, bulleted and description lists
>
> 4. table of contents
>
> Still a long a way to go ...
>
> Jambunathan K.

Is there a problem exporting to HTML and just opening that in OOffice?

That's my normal solution, works in Word too.

* Re: [WIP] OpenOffice Exporter
@ 2010-10-10 10:14   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2010-10-10 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 12:09:50PM +0530, Jambunathan K wrote:
>>
>> I am working on a Org->OpenOffice/ODT exporter.
>>
>> This is a WIP announcement. I am posting this with an intention to hear
>> of and preferably avoid any parallell efforts.
>>
>> I am basing it on org-html.el.
>>
>> As it stands now in my own work area, it can export an outline structure
>> and has support for
>>
>> 1. character styles
>>    - bold, italic, underline, strikethrough, code, verbatim
>>
>> 2. paragraph styles
>>    - quote, verse, center, example and source code
>>
>> 3. lists
>>    - numbered, bulleted and description lists
>>
>> 4. table of contents
>>
>> Still a long a way to go ...
>>
>> Jambunathan K.
>
> Is there a problem exporting to HTML and just opening that in OOffice?

AFAICS, No.

> That's my normal solution, works in Word too.

If a new exporter is available and is as good as your normal solution,
would you abandon your current preference in favour of the new exporter

Jambunathan K.

* Re: [WIP] OpenOffice Exporter
@ 2010-10-11  8:28 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-10-11  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 12:09:50 +0530, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am working on a Org->OpenOffice/ODT exporter.
>
> This is a WIP announcement. I am posting this with an intention to hear
> of and preferably avoid any parallell efforts.
>
> I am basing it on org-html.el.
>
> As it stands now in my own work area, it can export an outline structure
> and has support for
>
> 1. character styles
>    - bold, italic, underline, strikethrough, code, verbatim
>
> 2. paragraph styles
>    - quote, verse, center, example and source code
>
> 3. lists
>    - numbered, bulleted and description lists
>
> 4. table of contents
>
> Still a long a way to go ...

but sounds good so far.  Although org->html->OOo works fine, I would
definitely like to remove the one unnecessary step.

How are you going to handle images?  I want to make sure that the
document that is exported has images "inside" the document (as opposed
to links), at least optionally, so that I can share documents
properly.  Will this be possible?

Thanks,
eric

Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

* Re: Re: [WIP] OpenOffice Exporter
@ 2010-10-11  9:35     ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2010-10-11  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi, Jambunathan,

> Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 12:09:50PM +0530, Jambunathan K wrote:
>>>
>>> I am working on a Org->OpenOffice/ODT exporter.
>>>

>> Is there a problem exporting to HTML and just opening that in OOffice?
>
> AFAICS, No.
>
>> That's my normal solution, works in Word too.
>
> If a new exporter is available and is as good as your normal solution,
> would you abandon your current preference in favour of the new
> exporter

There is also the org-DocBook exporter. DocBook files can be read by OOo
see:
http://xml.openoffice.org/xmerge/docbook/index.html

cheers,
Giovanni

* Re: [WIP] OpenOffice Exporter
@ 2010-10-11 13:11   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2010-10-11 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eric

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 12:09:50 +0530, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I am working on a Org->OpenOffice/ODT exporter.
>>
>> This is a WIP announcement. I am posting this with an intention to hear
>> of and preferably avoid any parallell efforts.
>>
>> I am basing it on org-html.el.
>>
>> As it stands now in my own work area, it can export an outline structure
>> and has support for
>>
>> 1. character styles
>>    - bold, italic, underline, strikethrough, code, verbatim
>>
>> 2. paragraph styles
>>    - quote, verse, center, example and source code
>>
>> 3. lists
>>    - numbered, bulleted and description lists
>>
>> 4. table of contents
>>
>> Still a long a way to go ...
>
> but sounds good so far.  Although org->html->OOo works fine, I would
> definitely like to remove the one unnecessary step.

Export should be as simple as C-c C-e o nothing more. That's what I have
defined as the default key binding for Open Office exporter.

> How are you going to handle images?

I like this question.

It looks like Org->html->OOo exporter falls short of expectations
atleast wrt working with images. This in itself will justify my
development efforts [1].

> I want to make sure that the document that is exported has images
> "inside" the document (as opposed to links), at least optionally, so
> that I can share documents properly.  Will this be possible?

Short answer:
Yes it is possible.
I will make embedding images in the ODT document an optional feature.

Long answer:
I tried the Org->html>OOo route and I understand what you mean.

I 'hand edited' the resulting odt file the following way and was able to
accomplish what you desire.

1. Unzip it (dot file is just a *.zip archive)
2. Create Pictures folder within the Unzipped archive and copy over the
   needed images in to that folder.
3. Fixup META-INF/manifest.xml to contain entries for the images that
   moved over.
4. Update content.xml with the new path for the images.
5. Zip up the archive with an ODT extension.
6. The document is ready to be served.

Footnotes:

[1] There are some discussions about issues with cross-references +
bibliographic entries in the existing Org-><Intermediate Format>->ODT
conversion sequence.

It would be good if the users record the limitations with such export
procedures in specific details in this thread.

@ 2010-10-11 13:22       ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2010-10-11 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi

Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> writes:

> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi, Jambunathan,
>
>> Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

>>> Is there a problem exporting to HTML and just opening that in OOffice?
>>
>> AFAICS, No.
>>
>>> That's my normal solution, works in Word too.
>>
>> If a new exporter is available and is as good as your normal solution,
>> would you abandon your current preference in favour of the new
>> exporter
>
> There is also the org-DocBook exporter. DocBook files can be read by OOo
> see:
> http://xml.openoffice.org/xmerge/docbook/index.html

Thanks for the suggestion. If I run in to some serious road-block with
my new converter I think I can consult existing converters to show me
the way forward.

Do you use this converter personally? What are your observations?

The entries in the issue tracker seem to be anywhere between 3-7 years
old. The converter is quite stable I suppose.

@ 2010-10-11 14:08         ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2010-10-11 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jambunathan,

>> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:
>>
> Do you use this converter personally? What are your observations?
Actually, I don't use the org-DocBook exporter since I mainly work under
windows.

> The entries in the issue tracker seem to be anywhere between 3-7 years
> old. The converter is quite stable I suppose.

I think so.
Moreover Baoqiu is active in this list and he's *extremely responsive*,
when it comes to bugs in the exporter he wrote.

Please, see his last (I think) email: Fri, 14 May 2010 21:01:07 -0700

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-05/msg00452.html

I invite you to try the docBook, and submit bug reports if any...
also not to reinvent the wheel ;-)

cheers,
Giovanni

* Re: Re: [WIP] OpenOffice Exporter
@ 2010-10-11 16:26           ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2010-10-11 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Giovanni

Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> writes:

> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:
>

> Hi Jambunathan,
>>
>>> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>> Do you use this converter personally? What are your observations?
> Actually, I don't use the org-DocBook exporter since I mainly work under
> windows.
>>
>> The entries in the issue tracker seem to be anywhere between 3-7 years
>> old. The converter is quite stable I suppose.
>
> I think so.
> Moreover Baoqiu is active in this list and he's *extremely responsive*,
> when it comes to bugs in the exporter he wrote.
>
> Please, see his last (I think) email: Fri, 14 May 2010 21:01:07 -0700
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-05/msg00452.html

I am aware of the Org->Docbook bridge. I have been in this list for a
while now (8+ months). I keep track of discussions that take place on a
day to day basis.

To avoid any confusion, the queries in my original post were related to
the Docbook->Openoffice bridge that you linked to and not to the
Org->Docbook bridge.

Docbook->Openoffice in this case or the second converter in the chain
(in general) seem to be a vital component in the whole scheme of things
as it stands today.

> I invite you to try the docBook, and submit bug reports if any...
> also not to reinvent the wheel ;-)

Nothing is going to dissuade from putting an effort.

Jambunathan K.

@ 2010-10-12 19:26       ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2010-10-12 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 5:35 AM, Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it
> wrote:

> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:
>

> There is also the org-DocBook exporter. DocBook files can be read by OOo
> see:
> http://xml.openoffice.org/xmerge/docbook/index.html
>
> I have had a lot of trouble with this route, so a direct export would be
far better for me.  I would love to see support for features like footnotes,
though, if that can somehow be done.  Thanks for doing this, Jambunathan!
matt

* Re: Re: [WIP] OpenOffice Exporter
@ 2010-10-12 20:02         ` Karl Maihofer
From: Karl Maihofer @ 2010-10-12 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

For me it would be very helpful to be able to export footnotes to
OpenOffice format. This is something that doesn't work via HTML-export.
Do you plan to add support for footnotes?

* Re: [WIP] OpenOffice Exporter
@ 2010-10-13  1:59         ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-10-13  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 5:35 AM, Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> wrote:
>
>     Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:
>
>     There is also the org-DocBook exporter. DocBook files can be read by OOo
>     see:
>     http://xml.openoffice.org/xmerge/docbook/index.html
>
> I have had a lot of trouble with this route, so a direct export would be far better for me.  I would love to see
> support for features like footnotes, though, if that can somehow be done.  Thanks for doing this, Jambunathan!
> matt

I haven't managed to get embedded images into an OO or Word document
satisfactorily using the org -> HTML -> MS Word route yet.  An exporter
that handles this correctly would be great!

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Re: [WIP] OpenOffice Exporter
@ 2010-10-13 11:30           ` Tom Short
From: Tom Short @ 2010-10-13 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
> I haven't managed to get embedded images into an OO or Word document
> satisfactorily using the org -> HTML -> MS Word route yet.  An exporter
> that handles this correctly would be great!

Bernt,

I've had decent luck with embedded images via the HTML route, mainly
EPS files. See here:

    http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/29585

What type of images are you having problems with? That said, I'm
excited about Jambunathan's direct export option.

- Tom

* Re: Re: [WIP] OpenOffice Exporter
@ 2010-10-13 11:37             ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-10-13 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Short; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Tom Short <tshort.rlists@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
>> I haven't managed to get embedded images into an OO or Word document
>> satisfactorily using the org -> HTML -> MS Word route yet.  An exporter
>> that handles this correctly would be great!
>
> Bernt,
>
> I've had decent luck with embedded images via the HTML route, mainly
> EPS files. See here:
>
>     http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/29585

Thanks for the link.  I'm trying to embed ditta and graphviz graphics
files (mainly PNGs)

-Bernt

> What type of images are you having problems with? That said, I'm
> excited about Jambunathan's direct export option.
>
> - Tom

* Re: [WIP] OpenOffice Exporter
@ 2010-10-14  4:22           ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2010-10-14  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Maihofer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Karl

Karl Maihofer <ignoramus@gmx.de> writes:

> For me it would be very helpful to be able to export footnotes to
> OpenOffice format. This is something that doesn't work via HTML-export.
> Do you plan to add support for footnotes?

Yes, I will add support for footnotes.

In the first release, I hope to support the most common (if not all of)
Orgmode features *natively* in OpenOffice.

Jambunathan K.

* Re: [WIP] OpenOffice Exporter
@ 2010-10-14  8:04             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-10-14  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Oct 14 2010, Jambunathan K wrote:

> Hi Karl
>
> Karl Maihofer <ignoramus@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> For me it would be very helpful to be able to export footnotes to
>> OpenOffice format. This is something that doesn't work via HTML-export.
>> Do you plan to add support for footnotes?
>
> Yes, I will add support for footnotes.
>
> In the first release, I hope to support the most common (if not all of)
> Orgmode features *natively* in OpenOffice.

*Really* looking forward to all this…