* Captions for src and example blocks
@ 2012-01-14  5:31 Christian Wittern
From: Christian Wittern @ 2012-01-14  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Orgmoders,

There was a thread last April about a way to introduce captions and
labels to src and example blocks (see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-04/msg00877.html).
 Now I would like to use captions in a similar way, but not just for
LaTex, but also for the ODT export.  So a generic org-mode solution
would be much more helpful. I wonder if somebody has any idea about
how to achieve this.

Greetings,  Chris

--
Christian Wittern, Kyoto

* Re: Captions for src and example blocks
@ 2012-01-14  8:43 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-01-14  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christian Wittern <cwittern@gmail.com> writes:

> There was a thread last April about a way to introduce captions and
> labels to src and example blocks (see
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-04/msg00877.html).
>  Now I would like to use captions in a similar way, but not just for
> LaTex, but also for the ODT export.  So a generic org-mode solution
> would be much more helpful. I wonder if somebody has any idea about
> how to achieve this.

The new export engine has support for captions and labels for almost any
element, through the use of affiliated keywords. Thus, the following
special block will have ":caption" and ":name" properties attached to
it:

#+caption: Here is /something/.
#+name: something
#+begin_something
A special "something" block.
#+end_something

Now, it doesn't mean that it will do anything during export, as
back-ends can choose to make use of those properties or ignore them.

With regards to the previous special block, the e-latex back-end
currently makes use of the :name property, but ignore the :caption one.
Though it's not hard to support this by modifying accordingly the
`org-e-latex-special-block' function.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Captions for src and example blocks
@ 2012-01-14 16:38 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-01-14 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Chris

> Dear Orgmoders,
>
> There was a thread last April about a way to introduce captions and
> labels to src and example blocks (see
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-04/msg00877.html).
>  Now I would like to use captions in a similar way, but not just for
> LaTex, but also for the ODT export.  So a generic org-mode solution
> would be much more helpful. I wonder if somebody has any idea about
> how to achieve this.

As Nicolas notes, all essential infrastructure is in place. Only thing
that needs to happen is to switch over the existing ODT backend to the
new export engine.

If you have any specific opinions on how the example blocks need to be
formatted by default - for eg, put the src blocks in a text frame, in
this font and in that size, label and caption the listings this and that
way, create an index entry for src listings, - and are willing to "show
and tell" with a sample ODT document I am all ears.

Jambunathan K.

* Re: Captions for src and example blocks
@ 2012-01-16  1:00   ` Christian Wittern
From: Christian Wittern @ 2012-01-16  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for your answer.
On 2012-01-14 17:43, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Christian Wittern<cwittern@gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> There was a thread last April about a way to introduce captions and
>> labels to src and example blocks (see
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-04/msg00877.html).
>>   Now I would like to use captions in a similar way, but not just for
>> LaTex, but also for the ODT export.  So a generic org-mode solution
>> would be much more helpful. I wonder if somebody has any idea about
>> how to achieve this.
> The new export engine has support for captions and labels for almost any
> element, through the use of affiliated keywords. Thus, the following
> special block will have ":caption" and ":name" properties attached to
> it:
It seems that the current LaTeX and ODT backends do not support this out of
the box, also there is no word of this in the manual, so I assume it is
still experimental?
> [..]
>

> Now, it doesn't mean that it will do anything during export, as
> back-ends can choose to make use of those properties or ignore them.
>
> With regards to the previous special block, the e-latex back-end
> currently makes use of the :name property, but ignore the :caption one.
> Though it's not hard to support this by modifying accordingly the
> `org-e-latex-special-block' function.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is e-latex?  Is that different from the
standard Latex export called with C-c C-e l?

Christian

--

@ 2012-01-16  1:11   ` Christian Wittern
From: Christian Wittern @ 2012-01-16  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jambunathan,

First of all, thanks for all your work with ODT, it makes org-mode so much
more useful!
On 2012-01-15 01:38, Jambunathan K wrote:
> As Nicolas notes, all essential infrastructure is in place. Only thing
> that needs to happen is to switch over the existing ODT backend to the new
> export engine.
OK, that is good to know.
> If you have any specific opinions on how the example blocks need to be
> formatted by default - for eg, put the src blocks in a text frame, in this
> font and in that size, label and caption the listings this and that way,
> create an index entry for src listings, - and are willing to "show and
> tell" with a sample ODT document I am all ears. Jambunathan K.
I don't really have so strict requirements.  I think It would be nice to be
able to treat example blocks like figures, in that they can get automatic
numbering (with #+LABEL?) and a caption.
BTW, is it currently possible to set the size for figures (I mean, included
graphic)? I know it is possible in Latex, but the Latex directive seems to
be ignored by ODT?  Anyway, I guess this problem will go away with the new
generic exporter.

ALl the best,

Chris

--

@ 2012-01-16  4:40     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-01-16  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> BTW, is it currently possible to set the size for figures (I mean,
> included graphic)? I know it is possible in Latex, but the Latex
> directive seems to be ignored by ODT?  Anyway, I guess this problem
> will go away with the new generic exporter.

Try

(info "(org) Images in ODT export")

or

M-x org-info RET
g Images in ODT export

or

See section 12.8.6 Images in ODT export in
   http://orgmode.org/manual/index.html

The direct link to the above section is:

http://orgmode.org/manual/Images-in-_003cacronym_003eODT_003c_002facronym_003e-export.html#Images-in-_003cacronym_003eODT_003c_002facronym_003e-export

* Re: Captions for src and example blocks
@ 2012-01-16 18:24     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-01-16 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christian Wittern <cwittern@gmail.com> writes:

> It seems that the current LaTeX and ODT backends do not support this
> out of the box, also there is no word of this in the manual, so
> I assume it is still experimental?

Yes. If you have the development version, you can test it.

> Excuse my ignorance, but what is e-latex?  Is that different from the
> standard Latex export called with C-c C-e l?

It's the LaTeX back-end for the new export engine, so, yes, it is
different from the one used with C-c C-e l.

Nicolas Goaziou