* Moon phases
@ 2009-06-22  3:44 Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2009-06-22  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I have enabled the inclusion of astronomical information in my agenda
displays, using Diary.org, including the following:
#%%(diary-astro-day-number)
%%(diary-phases-of-moon)
#%%(diary-sunrise-sunset)

I commented out the first and last, as the clutter is unacceptable to me.
However, I realliy need to keep the phases of the moon.

Tomorrow is the new moon.  Due to time of day of the New Moon, it might
actually be tonight.  And I'd like to be notified in advance, a day or two,
and it would be interesting, for similar reasons to have notice in my agenda
of New Moons and Full Moons a day or two passed.  In fact, I really need to
know how many days past New Moon it is today, as I am watching out for
spawning of corals.

Can anyone suggest how I can do this?

Alan

"...can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd
definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

   -- Woody Allen, quoted by B. A. Palevitz

* Re: Moon phases
@ 2009-06-22  6:18 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-22  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: org-mode

On Jun 22, 2009, at 5:44 AM, Alan E. Davis wrote:

> I have enabled the inclusion of astronomical information in my
> agenda displays, using Diary.org, including the following:
> #%%(diary-astro-day-number)
> %%(diary-phases-of-moon)
> #%%(diary-sunrise-sunset)
>
> I commented out the first and last, as the clutter is unacceptable
> to me.  However, I realliy need to keep the phases of the moon.
>
> Tomorrow is the new moon.  Due to time of day of the New Moon, it
> might actually be tonight.  And I'd like to be notified in advance,
> a day or two, and it would be interesting, for similar reasons to
> have notice in my agenda of New Moons and Full Moons a day or two
> passed.  In fact, I really need to know how many days past New Moon
> it is today, as I am watching out for spawning of corals.
>
> Can anyone suggest how I can do this?

Press M in the agenda, this is your fast route.

If you really want early and late warnings in the agenda display
itself, you would have to hack the function `diary-lunar-phases',
which is not too hard, I think.

- Carsten

@ 2009-06-22 18:34   ` Jonathan Arkell
From: Jonathan Arkell @ 2009-06-22 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Actually, one of the features I missed from Planner mode is that planner would give you a couple of days notice when an entry was coming up in your diary.

I found that this could easily be emulated, (and it looks better and works nicer too) with a custom agenda command:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
  '(("f" "foo agenda"
          (agenda ""
                  ((org-agenda-overriding-header "Diary Next Week")
                   (org-agenda-ndays 7)          ; A weeks worth of lead time
                   (org-agenda-include-diary t)  ; I put all of my diary related stuff like Anniversaries in my diary \
                   (org-agenda-files nil)        ; you would need to change these if you use a file like Eiary.org
                   (org-agenda-show-all-dates nil) ; don't show days that have nothing
                   (org-agenda-use-time-grid nil))) ; don't show the timegrid for compactness.
             ...))))

On Jun 22, 2009, at 5:44 AM, Alan E. Davis wrote:

> I have enabled the inclusion of astronomical information in my
> agenda displays, using Diary.org, including the following:
> #%%(diary-astro-day-number)
> %%(diary-phases-of-moon)
> #%%(diary-sunrise-sunset)
>
> I commented out the first and last, as the clutter is unacceptable
> to me.  However, I realliy need to keep the phases of the moon.
>
> Tomorrow is the new moon.  Due to time of day of the New Moon, it
> might actually be tonight.  And I'd like to be notified in advance,
> a day or two, and it would be interesting, for similar reasons to
> have notice in my agenda of New Moons and Full Moons a day or two
> passed.  In fact, I really need to know how many days past New Moon
> it is today, as I am watching out for spawning of corals.
>
> Can anyone suggest how I can do this?

Press M in the agenda, this is your fast route.

If you really want early and late warnings in the agenda display
itself, you would have to hack the function `diary-lunar-phases',
which is not too hard, I think.

- Carsten

> Alan
>
> "...can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but
> you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."
>
>    -- Woody Allen, quoted by B. A. Palevitz

The information contained in this message is confidential. It is intended to be read only by the individual or entity named above or their designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any distribution of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete or destroy any copy of this message.