From: "Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org>
To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: Add number of items in the lists
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 22:43:05 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Bastien,

Bastien wrote:
> "Sebastien Vauban" writes:
>
>> * org-agenda.el (org-todo-list): Add the number of items in the lists.
>
> I don't think this is useful in general, but might be useful for some users
> with a lot of items in their agendas :)

I personally think that, even for small numbers, it is a nice nice-to-have...

> Maybe some `org-agenda-header-format' custom variable could do.

But I have no problem to make that optional.

What do you have in mind: something like `org-clock-file-time-cell-format'
where one can write %s or not (for disabling the display of the number), and
to add decorations around, such as parentheses or spaces or ...?

> Also have a look at `org-agenda-title-append' which is currently
> only used by org-mobile to add stuff here.  But could be combined
> with a format string, or an option to add an overlay...

I must admit I did not really understand how `org-agenda-title-append' is
used, not using OrgMobile myself. IIUC, it's a property (i.e., not displayed
as such in the buffer, right?).

You also evoke an overlay (instead of a real string inserted in the buffer):
any reason for preferring that approach?

FYI, my patch works well, except that the number is not updated when we apply
tag filtering (while the list of items is well reduced). Does this (in your
point of view) exclude any of the mentioned alternatives to go?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban