* [babel] Some variables with no default value don't provoke an error
@ 2011-09-14  9:05 Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-09-14  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Eric,

As said previously, I've been forced to add a default value to many code
blocks I had in my local LOB, which I ingest in my `.emacs' file:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
 (when (try-require 'ob-lob)
   (org-babel-lob-ingest "~/emacs/site-lisp/my-local-lob.org"))
#+end_src

Weirdly enough, in the following code block, I must add a default value for
vars `table', `column' and `type' but not for the var `nullability'.

I've even been able to add fake vars `something' and `else' with no error
being reported (at ingestion time):

#+srcname: add-column-in-table(table="", column="", something, type="", else, nullability)
#+begin_src sql
-- add column `$column' (if column does not exist yet)
IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT *
               FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS
               WHERE TABLE_NAME = '$table'
               AND COLUMN_NAME = '$column')
BEGIN
    ALTER TABLE $table
    ADD $column $type $nullability
END
#+end_src

Note that, in the above state, the code block is ingested with no error, but,
if I remove the default value of var `table', it then generates back an
error...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: [babel] Some variables with no default value don't provoke an error
@ 2011-09-15 15:26 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-09-15 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> As said previously, I've been forced to add a default value to many code
> blocks I had in my local LOB, which I ingest in my `.emacs' file:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>  (when (try-require 'ob-lob)
>    (org-babel-lob-ingest "~/emacs/site-lisp/my-local-lob.org"))
> #+end_src
>
> Weirdly enough, in the following code block, I must add a default value for
> vars `table', `column' and `type' but not for the var `nullability'.
>
> I've even been able to add fake vars `something' and `else' with no error
> being reported (at ingestion time):
>
> #+srcname: add-column-in-table(table="", column="", something, type="", else, nullability)
> #+begin_src sql
> -- add column `$column' (if column does not exist yet)
> IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT *
>                FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS
>                WHERE TABLE_NAME = '$table'
>                AND COLUMN_NAME = '$column')
> BEGIN
>     ALTER TABLE $table
>     ADD $column $type $nullability
> END
> #+end_src
>
> Note that, in the above state, the code block is ingested with no error, but,
> if I remove the default value of var `table', it then generates back an
> error...

I've just pushed up a check for these functional-syntax variables which
will ensure that each is given a default value.  Since this check takes
place at the location of the code block it /does/ include the name of
the code block in the error message.

Cheers -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: [babel] Some variables with no default value don't provoke an error
@ 2011-09-16  9:42   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-09-16  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Eric,

Eric Schulte wrote:
> "Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> Weirdly enough, in the following code block, I must add a default value for
>> vars `table', `column' and `type' but not for the var `nullability'.
>>
>> I've even been able to add fake vars `something' and `else' with no error
>> being reported (at ingestion time):
>>
>> #+srcname: add-column-in-table(table="", column="", something, type="", else, nullability)
>> #+begin_src sql
>> -- add column `$column' (if column does not exist yet)
>> IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT *
>>                FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS
>>                WHERE TABLE_NAME = '$table'
>>                AND COLUMN_NAME = '$column')
>> BEGIN
>>     ALTER TABLE $table
>>     ADD $column $type $nullability
>> END
>> #+end_src
>>
>> Note that, in the above state, the code block is ingested with no error, but,
>> if I remove the default value of var `table', it then generates back an
>> error...
>
> I've just pushed up a check for these functional-syntax variables which
> will ensure that each is given a default value.  Since this check takes
> place at the location of the code block it /does/ include the name of
> the code block in the error message.

If you have a couple of minutes, can you clarify some points to be sure I can
understand:

- What do you call functional-syntax vars?  The ones in the #+srcname, next to
  the block name, as opposed to the ones declared as :var arguments?

  The fact, then, that we can get a clearer message in case of error, seems to
  me an incentive to use that type of declaration...

- Why was `nullability' not detected to have no default value?  Why were
  `table', `column' and `type' well correctly detected?

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2011-09-16 14:07     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-09-16 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

"Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Eric Schulte wrote:
>> "Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:
>>> Weirdly enough, in the following code block, I must add a default value for
>>> vars `table', `column' and `type' but not for the var `nullability'.
>>>
>>> I've even been able to add fake vars `something' and `else' with no error
>>> being reported (at ingestion time):
>>>
>>> #+srcname: add-column-in-table(table="", column="", something, type="", else, nullability)
>>> #+begin_src sql
>>> -- add column `$column' (if column does not exist yet)
>>> IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT *
>>>                FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS
>>>                WHERE TABLE_NAME = '$table'
>>>                AND COLUMN_NAME = '$column')
>>> BEGIN
>>>     ALTER TABLE $table
>>>     ADD $column $type $nullability
>>> END
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> Note that, in the above state, the code block is ingested with no error, but,
>>> if I remove the default value of var `table', it then generates back an
>>> error...
>>
>> I've just pushed up a check for these functional-syntax variables which
>> will ensure that each is given a default value.  Since this check takes
>> place at the location of the code block it /does/ include the name of
>> the code block in the error message.
>
> If you have a couple of minutes, can you clarify some points to be sure I can
> understand:
>
> - What do you call functional-syntax vars?  The ones in the #+srcname, next to
>   the block name, as opposed to the ones declared as :var arguments?

yes, that's exactly it, I don't know what "functional-syntax" is a good
or descriptive term, but it is used in the source code so I'm now
repeating it.

>   The fact, then, that we can get a clearer message in case of error, seems to
>   me an incentive to use that type of declaration...

I personally prefer the traditional ":var" style, I'll have to add
similar error checking there...

> - Why was `nullability' not detected to have no default value?  Why were
>   `table', `column' and `type' well correctly detected?

Meaning after you assigned values to the first three no error was thrown
when the fourth (nullability) wasn't assigned a value?  Could you
provide a minimal example?

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: [babel] Some variables with no default value don't provoke an error
@ 2011-09-16 19:54       ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-09-16 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Eric,

Eric Schulte wrote:
> "Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> Eric Schulte wrote:

>>> I've just pushed up a check for these functional-syntax variables which
>>> will ensure that each is given a default value.  Since this check takes
>>> place at the location of the code block it /does/ include the name of
>>> the code block in the error message.
>>
>> If you have a couple of minutes, can you clarify some points to be sure I can
>> understand:
>>
>> - What do you call functional-syntax vars?  The ones in the #+srcname, next to
>>   the block name, as opposed to the ones declared as :var arguments?
>
> yes, that's exactly it, I don't know what "functional-syntax" is a good
> or descriptive term, but it is used in the source code so I'm now
> repeating it.

OK.

>>   The fact, then, that we can get a clearer message in case of error, seems to
>>   me an incentive to use that type of declaration...
>
> I personally prefer the traditional ":var" style, I'll have to add
> similar error checking there...

Good to know.

>> - Why was `nullability' not detected to have no default value?  Why were
>>   `table', `column' and `type' well correctly detected?
>
> Meaning after you assigned values to the first three no error was thrown
> when the fourth (nullability) wasn't assigned a value?  Could you
> provide a minimal example?

Yes, you summed up exactly what I (can assure you that) observed yesterday.
Though, now that the message includes the src-name, it is somehow fixed. I
can't reproduce it anymore... Thanks.

Best regards,
  Seb

--