* What sport should I practice today, random TODO generator: bugfixing help requested
@ 2011-12-27  3:16 Franz Sommer
From: Franz Sommer @ 2011-12-27  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I have a small lisp code block evaluation problem generating org-mode style output.
Motivation and so on, see below.

Would appreciate the communities help.
Gladly will return feedback once my setup has advanced and you are interested.

Tks in advance, Franz

=======
= Goal:=
=======
Hava a random (weekly) generator of activities and / or todo items.  Think of everyday question like sports (shall I go cycling , swimming or running) May also be used for creativity teasers and any other kind of randomizable decission making.

(see why here:
http://books.google.de/books?id=m5vQHbj2Vi0C&pg=PA71&dq=o+reilly+mind+hack+random&hl=de&sa=X&ei=4TH5Tv3lOcStsgaZ3dzgDw&ved=0CEMQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=o%20reilly%20mind%20hack%20random&f=false
)

=================================
= Current Stage / Actual Debug Problem  =
=================================
I like to get
** TODO running
and not
| ** TODO running :random: |

What is wrong with my approach ?
(Yes I am new to lisp, but I hope that does not matter here to much. )

=======
=Code:=
=======

#+headers: :results value varbatim replace
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
	(defun table '())
		(add-to-list 'table "** TODO running :random:")    ;; later on some scheduling and tracking properties will be added
		(add-to-list 'table "** TODO cycling :random:")

	(setq returnlist '() )

	;;later a loop shall be here to say make list of 5 items  )

		(add-to-list 'returnlist (nth (random (length table)) table)))

(returnlist)
#+end_src

#+results:
| ** TODO Cereals :random: |

* Re: What sport should I practice today, random TODO generator: bugfixing help requested
@ 2011-12-28  6:56 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-12-28  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Franz,

Franz Sommer wrote:
> I have a small lisp code block evaluation problem generating org-mode style output.
> Motivation and so on, see below.
>
> Would appreciate the communities help.
> Gladly will return feedback once my setup has advanced and you are interested.
>
> Tks in advance, Franz
>

> =======
> = Goal:=
> =======
> Hava a random (weekly) generator of activities and / or todo items. Think of
> everyday question like sports (shall I go cycling , swimming or running) May
> also be used for creativity teasers and any other kind of randomizable
> decission making.
>

> (see why here:
> http://books.google.de/books?id=m5vQHbj2Vi0C&pg=PA71&dq=o+reilly+mind+hack+random&hl=de&sa=X&ei=4TH5Tv3lOcStsgaZ3dzgDw&ved=0CEMQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=o%20reilly%20mind%20hack%20random&f=false
> )
>
> =================================
> = Current Stage / Actual Debug Problem  =
> =================================
> I like to get
> ** TODO running
> and not
> | ** TODO running :random: |
>
> What is wrong with my approach ?
> (Yes I am new to lisp, but I hope that does not matter here to much. )
>
> =======
> =Code:=
> =======
>
> #+headers: :results value varbatim replace

                           ^ verbatim
                             or scalar

> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> 	(defun table '())
> 		(add-to-list 'table "** TODO running :random:")    ;; later on some scheduling and tracking properties will be added
> 		(add-to-list 'table "** TODO cycling :random:")
>
> 	(setq returnlist '() )
>
> 	;;later a loop shall be here to say make list of 5 items  )
>
> 		(add-to-list 'returnlist (nth (random (length table)) table)))
>
> (returnlist)
> #+end_src
>
> #+results:
> | ** TODO Cereals :random: |

Also, please note that, in order to be effectively replaced, your results
should maybe be wrapped in a =begin_result= block. See `:results wrap' for
this.

Best regards,
  Seb

--