* Collaborating on a shared project
@ 2012-08-15 11:27 Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-08-15 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

After months, if not years, of insistence, I've convinced (even VI) colleagues
to use Org as the format for keeping tracks of tasks to do, and of time spent
on them.

Now, as projects involve more people than me only, I'm a bit stuck because I'd
like to get all tasks (of everybody) in _one unique_ file (currently, with
tags for the assignee), and I require them to track time with Org.

Doing so, that file being part of my `org-agenda-files', I have the following
problems:

- By default, I see *their* tasks in my basic agenda view. OK, that can be
  solved by filtering on tags, eventually making up a customized agenda view
  for me. Not a real problem, then.

- I see *their* clock lines when checking the clocks (for gaps or overlaps).

The workaround I had until now was to put all project information in one
unique file, but the clock times (and the corresponding tasks) in personal
(but public among us) files.

That solved the problem of (much more) conflicts when committing updates to
the Org project file as well.

However, there is now good view of the tasks, even INCLUDE'ing those Org files
in the project file, as everybody has made up its own structure for the tasks,
and tasks about a same subject may be spread over multiple personal files.

If I want a nice HTML project page, with tasks logically ordered, I must
return to the "one big file" view.

But what happens with the tasks done by others?  If one task is begun by
someone, then finished by another, do I need to create two tasks, as I use
tags for setting the assignee?  It does not make real sense, semantically, as
we speak of the same task.

Then, the clock lines should be owned by some user (identified by kind of a
tag): they could be set under the same task, and the "clock check" functions
should be improved to take into account some sort of identifier.

That's, here, the current results of my thoughts about how to resolve the
above problem. I'd be interested to hear other solutions or workaround, and I
think we should have a way to upgrade Org to more than a *personal* organizer
-- of course, it already is much more, but I'm emphasizing here over
"personal".

Best regards,
  Seb

--