* Idea, configurable markup
@ 2011-09-19 18:38 Dov Grobgeld
From: Dov Grobgeld @ 2011-09-19 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I got the following idea regarding the use of markup characters in org-mode.
Currently it is possible to use *bold*, /italic/ and ~verbose~ and a few
other markups. I would have liked to have this extended as follows:

   - Allow the toggling of the display of the "formatting" characters, *, ~,
   /, etc.
   - Allow a system that allows the user to invent his own formatting. E.g.
   «variable», 〈function〉, $math$, ⌞string⌟, or whatever the user fancies. All
   these modes should be defined in an org-mode variable and the display
   attributes should be configurable, just like any other custom org-mode font.
   If the user wants to expand beyond ASCII it should be up to him.
   - Alternately, use a system like "<var>variable</var>" where the tag var
   is user definable, just like the magic characters above. The display of the
   tags should be toggable. Just like for [file:foo.bar] where the [] character
   are hidden, should the tags be hidden until someone erases one of the two
   delimiters.

Note that this is nothing more than ideas at the moment, and I'll probably
never get around to implement any of it. Still I thought I'd share it if
someone would like to have a go.

Regards,
Dov

* Re: Idea, configurable markup
@ 2011-09-19 18:47 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-09-19 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dov Grobgeld; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com> writes:

> I got the following idea regarding the use of markup characters in org-mode.
> Currently it is possible to use *bold*, /italic/ and ~verbose~ and a few
> other markups. I would have liked to have this extended as follows:
>
>    - Allow the toggling of the display of the "formatting" characters, *, ~,
>    /, etc.

This is currently possible through customization of the
`org-hide-emphasis-markers' variable

>    - Allow a system that allows the user to invent his own
>    formatting. E.g.  «variable», 〈function〉, $math$, ⌞string⌟, or
>    whatever the user fancies. All these modes should be defined in an
>    org-mode variable and the display attributes should be
>    configurable, just like any other custom org-mode font.  If the
>    user wants to expand beyond ASCII it should be up to him.  -
>    Alternately, use a system like "<var>variable</var>" where the tag
>    var is user definable, just like the magic characters above. The
>    display of the tags should be toggable. Just like for
>    [file:foo.bar] where the [] character are hidden, should the tags
>    be hidden until someone erases one of the two delimiters.

Something similar to this is possible using custom link types.  See the
info page for more information.

  (info "(org)Adding hyperlink types")

Examples that have been discussed on the mailing list include using link
types to control the color of words (both for inline display and
export).  A search in the mailing list archives should turn up more
specifics.

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: Idea, configurable markup
@ 2011-09-19 19:12 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-09-19 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Dov,

Dov Grobgeld wrote:
> I got the following idea regarding the use of markup characters in org-mode.
> Currently it is possible to use *bold*, /italic/ and ~verbose~ and a few
> other markups. I would have liked to have this extended as follows:
>
>    - Allow the toggling of the display of the "formatting" characters, *, ~,
>    /, etc.

It's already in there:

1. Choose to get them hidden by default with:

   #+begin_src emacs-lisp
     (setq org-hide-emphasis-markers t)
   #+end_src

2. Make them (dis-)appear by toggling visible-mode.

>    - Allow a system that allows the user to invent his own formatting. E.g.
>    «variable», 〈function〉, $math$, ⌞string⌟, or whatever the user fancies. All
>    these modes should be defined in an org-mode variable and the display
>    attributes should be configurable, just like any other custom org-mode font.
>    If the user wants to expand beyond ASCII it should be up to him.
>    - Alternately, use a system like "<var>variable</var>" where the tag var
>    is user definable, just like the magic characters above. The display of the
>    tags should be toggable. Just like for [file:foo.bar] where the [] character
>    are hidden, should the tags be hidden until someone erases one of the two
>    delimiters.
>
> Note that this is nothing more than ideas at the moment, and I'll probably
> never get around to implement any of it. Still I thought I'd share it if
> someone would like to have a go.

Regarding inventing new formatting and having them correctly exported, this is
already there as well:

See:

- `org-emphasis-alist' for face in Emacs and code to HTML
- `org-export-latex-emphasis-alist' for code to LaTeX

So, already done (by others!).

Just a comment on this: I would be in favor of having one or two extra formats
_by default_ -- so that it's not relying on my .emacs config file; in fact, as
much as in TeXinfo...

Currently, as "special" formats[1], we only have:

- org-code, and
- org-verbatim.

And the use case is not that clear to me (how do you code a URL, a filename,
an argument or a key binding?), as both finally gets resolved to the same
appearance (in HTML, and almost the same in LaTeX).

In TeXinfo, it seems to me we have at least:

- url,
- code,
- key binding,

not speaking of internal references.

I'd be glad if we could get the same "expressivety", by default, as the one we
have in TeXinfo[2].

Best regards,
  Seb

Footnotes:

[1] I mean: other than bold, italic, underline and striken-through.
[2] Never wrote any line in TeXinfo, but simply had to read a couple.

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Idea, configurable markup
@ 2011-09-20 15:04   ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2011-09-20 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

When I moved from Planner/Muse to Org, the ability to define custom markup
with <something>...</something> is the only thing I missed as well as the
ability to easily toggle between hide and show the markup (I thing it was
C-c C-l, but I'm not sure). This was a small thing to pay considering
everything else org-mode offered in exchange, but it would be nice to have
thi flexibility in org.

--
Darlan