* Go to today in Calendar
@ 2011-02-04 17:35 Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2011-02-04 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I just found that you can press "." in the Calendar to jump to today's date.

This saves me a gazillion keypresses, especially when you have a one-key mapping
to schedule something in agenda mode.  I have "s" mapped in agenda
mode to schedule,
so I just press "s . <Enter>".

Thanks,
--Nate

* Re: Go to today in Calendar
@ 2011-02-11 15:14 ` Bastien
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTikA=OXD=0_NrjE2TZX5p=wXJ4_fCCA17Q5A9cMo@mail.gmail.com>
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-11 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Neff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nathan,

Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:

> I just found that you can press "." in the Calendar to jump to today's
> date.

Nice one, I didn't know that!

Thanks for the tip,

--
 Bastien

* Fwd: Go to today in Calendar
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTikA=OXD=0_NrjE2TZX5p=wXJ4_fCCA17Q5A9cMo@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-02-22 15:24     ` Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2011-02-22 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> I just found that you can press "." in the Calendar to jump to today's
>> date.
>
> Nice one, I didn't know that!
>
> Thanks for the tip,

No prob.  If anyone else has short/simple tips cool things that they
find in org-mode please post them -- I enjoy reading the "Cool! I
found XXX feature" e-mails.

--Nate

* Re: Go to today in Calendar
@ 2011-02-23 10:14 ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2011-02-23 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Nathan,

Nathan Neff wrote:
> I just found that you can press "." in the Calendar to jump to today's date.
>
> This saves me a gazillion keypresses, especially when you have a one-key
> mapping to schedule something in agenda mode. I have "s" mapped in agenda
> mode to schedule, so I just press "s . <Enter>".

I wanted to use your trick, but just remembered that `s' is already mapped to
`org-save-all-org-buffers', which is a nice keybinding as well... Too bad
"save" and "schedule" share the same letter...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Re: Go to today in Calendar
@ 2011-02-25 13:44   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-02-25 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 23, 2011, at 11:14 AM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:

> Hi Nathan,
>
> Nathan Neff wrote:
>> I just found that you can press "." in the Calendar to jump to today's date.
>>
>> This saves me a gazillion keypresses, especially when you have a one-key
>> mapping to schedule something in agenda mode. I have "s" mapped in agenda
>> mode to schedule, so I just press "s . <Enter>".
>
> I wanted to use your trick, but just remembered that `s' is already mapped to
> `org-save-all-org-buffers', which is a nice keybinding as well... Too bad
> "save" and "schedule" share the same letter...

Saving is also on `C-x C-s', which is a very natural key for this task.
so using s for scheduling sounds like a very good user customization to me.

- Carsten

* Re: Go to today in Calendar
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTikA=OXD=0_NrjE2TZX5p=wXJ4_fCCA17Q5A9cMo@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-02-25 13:46   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-02-25 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 11, 2011, at 4:14 PM, Bastien wrote:

> Hi Nathan,
>
> Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I just found that you can press "." in the Calendar to jump to today's
>> date.
>
> Nice one, I didn't know that!

It is actually in the manual, I just checked.

- Carsten

* Re: Go to today in Calendar
@ 2011-02-25 15:08     ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2011-02-25 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Feb 23, 2011, at 11:14 AM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>> Nathan Neff wrote:
>>> I just found that you can press "." in the Calendar to jump to today's
>>> date.
>>>
>>> This saves me a gazillion keypresses, especially when you have a one-key
>>> mapping to schedule something in agenda mode. I have "s" mapped in agenda
>>> mode to schedule, so I just press "s . <Enter>".
>>
>> I wanted to use your trick, but just remembered that `s' is already mapped
>> to `org-save-all-org-buffers', which is a nice keybinding as well... Too
>> bad "save" and "schedule" share the same letter...
>
> Saving is also on `C-x C-s', which is a very natural key for this task. so
> using s for scheduling sounds like a very good user customization to me.

Good to know. I did not look far enough in the "describe mode" key bindings.
Thanks.

Just played with it, and experienced a problem I already saw in the past (but
never reported yet).

In the agenda, because of this entry,

** TODO 2011 !!! (from Thomas)                                        :mail:
   [2010-12-24 Fri 21:22]
   SCHEDULED: <2011-02-24 Thu>

#+begin_verse
joyeux noel et une bonne année !
#+end_verse

From [[gnus:nnimap%2Bmc:INBOX.mc#4D1500EE.9040508-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org][Email from Thomas: 2011 !!!]]

I see (as of today):

  @refile:    Sched. 2x:  TODO 2011 !!! (from Thomas)             :refile::mail:

Let's say I want to schedule it to today (I should have replied to him 2
months ago, BTW ;-))...

I do `C-c C-s' on the entry, choose today (with `.') and confirm (with RET).
After saving (currently, `s' for me) and refreshing the agenda (`g'), I see:

  @refile:    Sched. 2x:  TODO 2011 !!! (from Thomas)             :refile::mail:
  @refile:    Scheduled:  TODO 2011 !!! (from Thomas)             :refile::mail:

... I get the entry *scheduled twice*!

Looking at it, we see that there are now *2 scheduled dates*...

** TODO 2011 !!! (from Thomas)                                        :mail:
   SCHEDULED: <2011-02-25 Fri>
   [2010-12-24 Fri 21:22]
   SCHEDULED: <2011-02-24 Thu>

#+begin_verse
joyeux noel et une bonne année !
#+end_verse

From [[gnus:nnimap%2Bmc:INBOX.mc#4D1500EE.9040508-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org][Email from Thomas: 2011 !!!]]

Is it because of some order to respect in the different allowed timestamps
(active, inactive, scheduled, deadline) or a pure bug?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Re: Go to today in Calendar
@ 2011-02-26 16:39       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-26 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sébastien,

Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> Is it because of some order to respect in the different allowed timestamps
> (active, inactive, scheduled, deadline)

Yes, SCHEDULED (or DEADLINE) should come first.  In general, I tend to
avoid mixing several timestamps format for the same entry (I just allow
myself to use both SCHEDULED and DEADLINE, since that makes sense.)

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Go to today in Calendar
@ 2011-02-28  8:40         ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2011-02-28  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Bastien,

Bastien wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> Is it because of some order to respect in the different allowed timestamps
>> (active, inactive, scheduled, deadline)
>
> Yes, SCHEDULED (or DEADLINE) should come first.

OK. I did not think that mattered much, but that's no problem.

> In general, I tend to avoid mixing several timestamps format for the same
> entry (I just allow myself to use both SCHEDULED and DEADLINE, since that
> makes sense.)

I almost never mix many dates, but this comes from the following "need": I
capture emails I have to respond to, and

- I want the original date to be saved, and
- add my SCHEDULED timestamp onto it.

This is done with the following template (in which I just inversed the two
lines containing dates):

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
                  ("m" "Mail" entry
                   (file+headline ,org-default-notes-file "Tasks")
                   "* TODO %:subject%? (from %:fromname) :mail:
   SCHEDULED: %t
   %:date-timestamp-inactive

#+begin_verse
%i
#+end_verse

From %a"
                   :empty-lines 1 :immediate-finish)
#+end_src

You'll tell me that I could use PROPERTIES as well, but I think I'd loose the
ability to sort the tasks tree based on the inactive dates.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Re: Go to today in Calendar
@ 2011-03-03 11:22           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-03-03 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastien,

Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> You'll tell me that I could use PROPERTIES as well,

Indeed!

> but I think I'd loose the
> ability to sort the tasks tree based on the inactive dates.

... and you would gain to sort the tasks tree by properties :)

I added a footnote on the documentation to ask the user to avoid
inserting text between the headline and the SCHEDULED/DEADLINE
text.

--
 Bastien