* Org-capture from Firefox: ^M or not ^M?
@ 2011-07-19 12:19 Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-07-19 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

In the exact same conditions (I mean, Emacs settings, etc.), when I capture
some regions from Web pages, they sometimes:

- are mixed "all one one line"
  Example: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2007-03/msg00670.html

- are copied as on the screen, but with ending ^M at every line
  Example: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiaryMode

I'm not sure anymore whether or when it is correct:
- region on multiple lines (as on the screen), and
- no ending ^M...

Questions:

- Do you see the same behavior as mine?  I'm on Windows XP with Firefox
  3.6.18.

- Is there some work around so that you would not have to fiddle with the
  copied text?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Org-capture from Firefox: ^M or not ^M?
@ 2011-07-20 13:18 ` Otto Pichlhöfer
From: Otto Pichlhöfer @ 2011-07-20 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sebastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@...> writes:

> Hello,
>
> In the exact same conditions (I mean, Emacs settings, etc.), when I capture
> some regions from Web pages, they sometimes:
>
> - are mixed "all one one line"
>   Example: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2007-03/msg00670.html
>
> - are copied as on the screen, but with ending ^M at every line
>   Example: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiaryMode
>
> I'm not sure anymore whether or when it is correct:
> - region on multiple lines (as on the screen), and
> - no ending ^M...
>
> Questions:
>
> - Do you see the same behavior as mine?  I'm on Windows XP with Firefox
>   3.6.18.
>
> - Is there some work around so that you would not have to fiddle with the
>   copied text?
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb

I do this:

(defun remove-ctrl-M ()
  "Remove ^M at end of line in the whole buffer."
  (interactive)
  (save-match-data
    (save-excursion
      (let ((remove-count 0))
        (goto-char (point-min))
(point-max) t) ; so passt es nur am Ende der Zeile
        (while (re-search-forward (char-to-string 13) (point-max) t)
          (setq remove-count (+ remove-count 1))
          (replace-match "" nil nil))
        (message (format "%d ^M removed from buffer." remove-count))))))

and:

(add-hook 'org-capture-mode-hook 'remove-ctrl-M)

Regards,
Otto

* Re: Org-capture from Firefox: ^M or not ^M?
@ 2011-07-20 19:23   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-07-20 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Otto ,

Otto Pichlhöfer  wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@...> writes:
>> In the exact same conditions (I mean, Emacs settings, etc.), when I capture
>> some regions from Web pages, they sometimes:
>>
>> - are mixed "all one one line"
>>   Example: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2007-03/msg00670.html
>>
>> - are copied as on the screen, but with ending ^M at every line
>>   Example: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiaryMode
>>
>> I'm not sure anymore whether or when it is correct:
>> - region on multiple lines (as on the screen), and
>> - no ending ^M...
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> - Do you see the same behavior as mine?  I'm on Windows XP with Firefox
>>   3.6.18.
>>
>> - Is there some work around so that you would not have to fiddle with the
>>   copied text?
>
> I do this:
>
> (defun remove-ctrl-M ()
>   "Remove ^M at end of line in the whole buffer."
>   (interactive)
>   (save-match-data
>     (save-excursion
>       (let ((remove-count 0))
>         (goto-char (point-min))
> (point-max) t) ; so passt es nur am Ende der Zeile
>         (while (re-search-forward (char-to-string 13) (point-max) t)
>           (setq remove-count (+ remove-count 1))
>           (replace-match "" nil nil))
>         (message (format "%d ^M removed from buffer." remove-count))))))
>
> and:
>
> (add-hook 'org-capture-mode-hook 'remove-ctrl-M)

Thanks for sharing this code which resolves... the easiest problem of the 2
described above. That's already one step.

But do you get paragraphs ouput as one very long line as well -- when captured
--, in the first link above? If yes, do you have a solution for that one?

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2011-07-20 21:59   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-07-20 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Otto ,

Otto Pichlhöfer  wrote:
>> In the exact same conditions (I mean, Emacs settings, etc.), when I capture
>> some regions from Web pages, they sometimes:
>>
>> - are mixed "all one one line"
>>   Example: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2007-03/msg00670.html

Just to be complete, what's weird in this case is that lines are well "apart"
(or "unfilled", in Emacs terminology) in the HTML source.

Of course, we can imagine putting a "filling" command in the capture hook, but
this will often break things -- you don't want code to be automatically (and
irresponsibly) filled, do you?

Best regards,
  Seb

--