* [babel] Silent output in Org, but verbose export
@ 2011-09-06 15:39 Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-09-06 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Eric,

Currently, the following does not seem possible:

#+begin_src sh :results silent :exports results
echo "I want to see this in HTML/PDF, but not in Org"
#+end_src

Is there a way to do so?  That is:
- have no results inserted in the Org file
- well inserted when exporting the Org file

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: [babel] Silent output in Org, but verbose export
@ 2011-09-06 16:37 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-09-06 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Currently, the following does not seem possible:
>
> #+begin_src sh :results silent :exports results
> echo "I want to see this in HTML/PDF, but not in Org"
> #+end_src
>
> Is there a way to do so?  That is:
> - have no results inserted in the Org file
> - well inserted when exporting the Org file
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb

Hi Seb,

While this functionality isn't explicitly built into Org-mode the
following should work...

#+begin_src sh :results (if org-current-export-file "replace" "silent") :exports both
  echo  "I want to see this in HTML/PDF, but not in Org"
#+end_src

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: [babel] Silent output in Org, but verbose export
@ 2011-09-07  8:25   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-09-07  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:
>
> > Hi Eric,
> >
> > Currently, the following does not seem possible:
> >
> > #+begin_src sh :results silent :exports results
> > echo "I want to see this in HTML/PDF, but not in Org"
> > #+end_src
> >
> > Is there a way to do so?  That is:
> > - have no results inserted in the Org file
> > - well inserted when exporting the Org file
> >
> > Best regards,
> >   Seb
>
> Hi Seb,
>
> While this functionality isn't explicitly built into Org-mode the
> following should work...
>
> #+begin_src sh :results (if org-current-export-file "replace" "silent")
> :exports both
>   echo  "I want to see this in HTML/PDF, but not in Org"
> #+end_src

Without adding to many header  arguments, I think an additional value for
the handling header argument ":results" would be useful: export_only, which,
would implement this behaviour.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Best -- Eric
>
> --
> Eric Schulte
> http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: [babel] Silent output in Org, but verbose export
@ 2011-09-07  8:44   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-09-07  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Eric,

Eric Schulte wrote:
> "Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> Currently, the following does not seem possible:
>>
>> #+begin_src sh :results silent :exports results
>> echo "I want to see this in HTML/PDF, but not in Org"
>> #+end_src
>>
>> Is there a way to do so?  That is:
>> - have no results inserted in the Org file
>> - well inserted when exporting the Org file
>
> While this functionality isn't explicitly built into Org-mode the
> following should work...
>
> #+begin_src sh :results (if org-current-export-file "replace" "silent") :exports both
>   echo  "I want to see this in HTML/PDF, but not in Org"
> #+end_src

This works perfectly, thanks a lot!

Now, subquestion: let's suppose I first write this code block...

#+begin_src sh :exports results
echo "I want to see this in HTML/PDF, but not in Org"
#+end_src

#+results:
| I want to see this in HTML/PDF | but not in Org |

then I add the option "silent", and eval it:

#+begin_src sh :results silent :exports results
echo "I want to see this in HTML/PDF, but not in Org"
#+end_src

#+results:
| I want to see this in HTML/PDF | but not in Org |

The =results= line is not removed automatically. I have to delete it myself.

Question: wouldn't it be better to check, when option is =silent=, that there is
no =results= line, and remove it if there is one?

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2011-09-07 15:15     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-09-07 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Seb,

> Now, subquestion: let's suppose I first write this code block...
>
> #+begin_src sh :exports results
> echo "I want to see this in HTML/PDF, but not in Org"
> #+end_src
>
> #+results:
> | I want to see this in HTML/PDF | but not in Org |
>
> then I add the option "silent", and eval it:
>
> #+begin_src sh :results silent :exports results
> echo "I want to see this in HTML/PDF, but not in Org"
> #+end_src
>
> #+results:
> | I want to see this in HTML/PDF | but not in Org |
>
> The =results= line is not removed automatically. I have to delete it myself.
>
> Question: wouldn't it be better to check, when option is =silent=, that there is
> no =results= line, and remove it if there is one?

I tried implementing this change (a simple one-line addition) but it
breaks some other pieces of code block evaluation (inline blocks) which
assume that ":results silent" will not affect the contents of the
buffer.

For not at least I think it would be preferable to leave the meaning of
silent to be "do nothing to the buffer" rather than to remove any
possibly pre-existing results.  Possibly at some point in the future
after I've fixed results removal for inline blocks we should revisit
this decision.

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: [babel] Silent output in Org, but verbose export
@ 2011-09-07 20:23       ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-09-07 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Eric,

Eric Schulte wrote:
>> Now, subquestion: let's suppose I first write this code block...
>>
>> #+begin_src sh :exports results
>> echo "I want to see this in HTML/PDF, but not in Org"
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+results:
>> | I want to see this in HTML/PDF | but not in Org |
>>
>> then I add the option "silent", and eval it:
>>
>> #+begin_src sh :results silent :exports results
>> echo "I want to see this in HTML/PDF, but not in Org"
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+results:
>> | I want to see this in HTML/PDF | but not in Org |
>>
>> The =results= line is not removed automatically. I have to delete it myself.
>>
>> Question: wouldn't it be better to check, when option is =silent=, that there is
>> no =results= line, and remove it if there is one?
>>

> I tried implementing this change (a simple one-line addition) but it
> breaks some other pieces of code block evaluation (inline blocks) which
> assume that ":results silent" will not affect the contents of the
> buffer.
>
> For not at least I think it would be preferable to leave the meaning of
> silent to be "do nothing to the buffer" rather than to remove any
> possibly pre-existing results.  Possibly at some point in the future
> after I've fixed results removal for inline blocks we should revisit
> this decision.

Fine with me. Thanks for trying!

Best regards,
  Seb