* Inactive time stamps along with CLOCK: entries?
@ 2011-11-09 13:23 Tommy Kelly
From: Tommy Kelly @ 2011-11-09 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Question for Bernt, but maybe more widely useful.

Bernt, in some of your org-capture-templates, you often include a %U
timestamp as well as clocking in the item in question. for example:

("j" "Journal" entry (file+datetree "~/git/org/diary.org")
               "* %?\n%U\n  %i" :clock-in t :clock-resume t)

Why do you do that extra \n%U? Since the timestamp is going to be
identical to the first entry in the CLOCK: line, and since you can
have/not-have clocking items show up in the agenda, why have both the
:CLOCK line and the timestamp? What else do you get from having a
timestamp that you don't get from the CLOCK: line alone?

thanks,
Tommy

* Re: Inactive time stamps along with CLOCK: entries?
@ 2011-11-09 17:09 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-11-09 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tommy Kelly; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes:

> Question for Bernt, but maybe more widely useful.
>
> Bernt, in some of your org-capture-templates, you often include a %U
> timestamp as well as clocking in the item in question. for example:
>
> ("j" "Journal" entry (file+datetree "~/git/org/diary.org")
>                "* %?\n%U\n  %i" :clock-in t :clock-resume t)
>
> Why do you do that extra \n%U? Since the timestamp is going to be
> identical to the first entry in the CLOCK: line, and since you can
> have/not-have clocking items show up in the agenda, why have both the
> :CLOCK line and the timestamp? What else do you get from having a
> timestamp that you don't get from the CLOCK: line alone?

Hi Tommy,

The reason I have both is I create capture tasks and notes _fast_ and
remove empty clock lines - so there is no clock line or clock drawer
when I'm done in that that.

The %U is to record when I created the task/note.

-Bernt

* Re: Inactive time stamps along with CLOCK: entries?
@ 2011-11-09 19:27   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-11-09 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Bernt and Tommy,

Bernt Hansen wrote:
> Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly-ABZRMiVa18FBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Question for Bernt, but maybe more widely useful.
>>
>> Bernt, in some of your org-capture-templates, you often include a %U
>> timestamp as well as clocking in the item in question. for example:
>>
>> ("j" "Journal" entry (file+datetree "~/git/org/diary.org")
>>                "* %?\n%U\n  %i" :clock-in t :clock-resume t)
>>
>> Why do you do that extra \n%U? Since the timestamp is going to be
>> identical to the first entry in the CLOCK: line, and since you can
>> have/not-have clocking items show up in the agenda, why have both the
>> :CLOCK line and the timestamp? What else do you get from having a
>> timestamp that you don't get from the CLOCK: line alone?
>
> The reason I have both is I create capture tasks and notes _fast_ and
> remove empty clock lines - so there is no clock line or clock drawer
> when I'm done in that that.
>
> The %U is to record when I created the task/note.

Could sorting of entries be another reason: possible with inactive timestamp,
not with first clock line?

Best regards,
  Seb

--