* Inserting a new item vs a new headline
@ 2012-10-31 11:28 Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-10-31 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

I find weird the positioning of a new headline, when created via M-RET.

Let me explain with the following ECM:

* Current section

** List

- Foo
- Baz
@                                  <<< @ = position of the cursor

* Next section

If I want to add new item to the list, I press M-RET. It will do the right
thing, and conserves the whitelines below:

* Current section

** List

- Foo
- Baz
- @

* Next section

C-RET, on the other hand, will go at the most far position (one character
before the next section), and glue the new headline there:

* Current section

** List

- Foo
- Baz

** @
* Next section

Often, when not thinking at that, I already insert white lines, but then, I
unavoidably have to remove them by hand.

* Current section

** List

- Foo
- Baz

@

* Next section

becomes this:

* Current section

** List

- Foo
- Baz

** @
* Next section

I would have loved to see the `**' where the cursor was.

I find this not inline with what would happen if I'd know the text of my new
headline:

* Current section

** List

- Foo
- Baz

@Text of my new headline

* Next section

becomes, when M-RETing[1], as *I* expect it:

* Current section

** List

- Foo
- Baz

** Text of my new headline@

* Next section

All of this is really about details. And, maybe, they're due to misuse of
C-RET and M-RET.

Just wanted to signal them, in case that...

Best regards,
  Seb

[1] Not C-RETing...

--
Sebastien Vauban

only message in thread, other threads:[~2012-10-31 11:28 UTC | newest]