* orgmode/beamer - won't export blocks
@ 2011-05-24 17:21 Benjamin Slade
From: Benjamin Slade @ 2011-05-24 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm having the same trouble which seems to be reported in this thread (I'm
not running Aquamacs though, just GNU Emacs under Linux, with orgmode v7.4):
http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg28752.html

I've followed tutorials, and orgmode isn't generating beamer \block
structures (I checked the LaTeX code generated: it is generating \itemize
rather than \block).

Did anyone ever figure out the reason for this?

[Orgmode] Baffled by beamer blocks

Philip J. Hollenback
Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:31:43 -0700

I've got a basic org-mode 7.01g + beamer setup working and am able to
create and export presentations.  However I am completely unable to
create presentations with blocks in them.  I've followed the examples on
the website such as http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer.php
with no success.

When I try to write a presentation with blocks, I find that instead of
blocks I end up with nested lists in the frames.  The LaTeX output shows
no \block structures.  I see no error messages in any of my emacs
buffers. I should note that I'm running Aquamacs 1.9 on the mac.

Can anyone suggest what in my setup might be preventing blocks from
working?  I'm really baffled at this point.

Thanks,
P.
--
Philip J. Hollenback
phil...@pobox.com

* Re: orgmode/beamer - won't export blocks
@ 2011-05-24 19:43 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-05-24 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Benjamin,

Benjamin Slade wrote:
> I'm having the same trouble which seems to be reported in this thread (I'm
> not running Aquamacs though, just GNU Emacs under Linux, with orgmode v7.4):
> http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org/msg28752.html
>

> I've followed tutorials, and orgmode isn't generating beamer \block
> structures (I checked the LaTeX code generated: it is generating \itemize
> rather than \block).
>
> Did anyone ever figure out the reason for this?

> [Orgmode] Baffled by beamer blocks
>
> Philip J. Hollenback
> Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:31:43 -0700
>
> I've got a basic org-mode 7.01g + beamer setup working and am able to
> create and export presentations.  However I am completely unable to
> create presentations with blocks in them.  I've followed the examples on
> the website such as http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer.php
> with no success.
>
> When I try to write a presentation with blocks, I find that instead of
> blocks I end up with nested lists in the frames.  The LaTeX output shows
> no \block structures.  I see no error messages in any of my emacs
> buffers. I should note that I'm running Aquamacs 1.9 on the mac.
>
> Can anyone suggest what in my setup might be preventing blocks from
> working?  I'm really baffled at this point.
>
> Thanks,
> P.
> --
> Philip J. Hollenback
> phil...-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
> www.hollenback.net

If you search for accurate help, please post an "ECM" (Example Complete and
Minimal), so that one can very quickly try your file, report if it works or
not, and try to spot the problem.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: orgmode/beamer - won't export blocks
@ 2011-05-24 21:11   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-05-24 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Benjamin Slade wrote:
>> I'm having the same trouble which seems to be reported in this thread (I'm
>> not running Aquamacs though, just GNU Emacs under Linux, with orgmode v7.4):
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg28752.html

Benjamin,

But that is quite old.  That thread ended inconclusively because the OP
never got back to us with further details.  And as Sebastien says:

[...]

"Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:
> If you search for accurate help, please post an "ECM" (Example Complete and
> Minimal), so that one can very quickly try your file, report if it works or
> not, and try to spot the problem.
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb

Please give us a small *complete* org file (say, one slide with one or
two blocks) that doesn't work and we can see what is happening.  It
might also be worthwhile updating your version to org to the most recent
stable release (7.5), if you can.

In any case, I would suggest you look at the configuration options in
your org file, specifically #+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL and the H: #+OPTIONS
setting.

I use org+beamer practically daily and it works just fine!

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.299.gb638.dirty)

* Re: orgmode/beamer - won't export blocks
@ 2011-05-25  0:05 Benjamin Slade
From: Benjamin Slade @ 2011-05-25  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks, Sebastien and Eric.

I updated to org-mode v7.5 [stable], but I'm still having the same problem.

I include below a minimal example and also the snippet of code in my
.emacs config file which is relevant.

Cheers, Ben.

%%Minimal example begins%%
#+startup: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
#+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 2

#+MACRO: BEAMERMODE presentation
#+MACRO: BEAMERTHEME Madrid
#+MACRO: BEAMERCOLORTHEME lily
#+MACRO: BEAMERSUBJECT RMRF
#+MACRO: BEAMERINSTITUTE Miskatonic University, Astrology Dept.
#+TITLE: Presentation with Org-Mode and Beamer
#+AUTHOR: Someone

* My presentation

** Overview

   1. Blocks

   2. That's it

** Blocks
Nothing to see here.
*** A block							  :B_example:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: example
    :END:
  - Hello, world
  - I can't see any block here!
%%Minimal example ends%%

I have the following in my .emacs, in case there's something here that
is causing a problem (taken from
http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2009/10/writing-presentations-with-org-mode-and.html
)

%%snippet from .emacs begins%%
;; #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer in org files
(unless (boundp 'org-export-latex-classes)
  (setq org-export-latex-classes nil))
(add-to-list 'org-export-latex-classes
  ;; beamer class, for presentations
  '("beamer"
     "\\documentclass[11pt]{beamer}\n
      \\mode<{{{beamermode}}}>\n
      \\usetheme{{{{beamertheme}}}}\n
      \\usecolortheme{{{{beamercolortheme}}}}\n
      \\beamertemplateballitem\n
      \\setbeameroption{show notes}
      \\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}\n
      \\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}\n
      \\usepackage{hyperref}\n
      \\usepackage{color}
      \\usepackage{listings}
      \\lstset{numbers=none,language=[ISO]C++,tabsize=4,
  frame=single,
  basicstyle=\\small,
  showspaces=false,showstringspaces=false,
  showtabs=false,
  keywordstyle=\\color{blue}\\bfseries,
  commentstyle=\\color{red},
  }\n
      \\usepackage{verbatim}\n
      \\institute{{{{beamerinstitute}}}}\n
       \\subject{{{{beamersubject}}}}\n"

     ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")

     ("\\begin{frame}[fragile]\\frametitle{%s}"
       "\\end{frame}"
       "\\begin{frame}[fragile]\\frametitle{%s}"
       "\\end{frame}")))

  ;; letter class, for formal letters

  (add-to-list 'org-export-latex-classes

  '("letter"
     "\\documentclass[11pt]{letter}\n
      \\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}\n
      \\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}\n
      \\usepackage{color}"

     ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
     ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\subsection*{%s}")
     ("\\subsubsection{%s}" . "\\subsubsection*{%s}")
     ("\\paragraph{%s}" . "\\paragraph*{%s}")
     ("\\subparagraph{%s}" . "\\subparagraph*{%s}")))
%%snippet from .emacs ends%%

________________________________
From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] orgmode/beamer - won't export blocks
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 22:11:07 +0100

@ 2011-05-27  7:01 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-05-27  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Slade; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Benjamin Slade <slade@jnanam.net> writes:

> Thanks, Sebastien and Eric.
>
> I updated to org-mode v7.5 [stable], but I'm still having the same problem.
>
> I include below a minimal example and also the snippet of code in my
> .emacs config file which is relevant.

Thanks for the example.  More importantly, thanks for the snippet of
configuration code.  The problem, I believe, lies there as your simple
file works just fine for me (assuming you have oddeven levels being
used; it doesn't work if you have odd only).

I would suggest that you no longer need (or want) to customise the
org-export-latex-classes variable for beamer.

Try removing that customisation, restart emacs and see what happens?

HTH.
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.312.gf194)

* Re: orgmode/beamer - won't export blocks
@ 2011-05-27 17:20   ` Benjamin Slade
From: Benjamin Slade @ 2011-05-27 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e.fraga, emacs-orgmode

Thank you for the help.

Yes, removing the configuration code from .emacs results in the
correct behaviour (i.e. blocks are now exported properly).

Quick question -- is there still a way of setting up beamer/orgmode
configuration in .emacs?

thanks,
  --Ben

@ 2011-05-27 21:35     ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-05-27 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Benjamin,

Benjamin Slade wrote:
> Thank you for the help.
>
> Yes, removing the configuration code from .emacs results in the
> correct behaviour (i.e. blocks are now exported properly).

Where did you find that way to do?  I guess in old threads... Is it still on
Worg, this should be removed.

> Quick question -- is there still a way of setting up beamer/orgmode
> configuration in .emacs?

Why are you asking that?  It's even better: you don't need any special
configuration anymore (like before) for beamer to work out of the box.

The only lines I still have in my .emacs about beamer are:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
        ;; XXX 2010-03-25 TEMP Fix for conflict TikZ/hyperref: loading
        ;; `atbegshi' before document class beamer
        (add-to-list 'org-export-latex-classes
                     '("beamer"
                       "\\RequirePackage{atbegshi}
                       \\documentclass{beamer}\n"
                       org-beamer-sectioning))
#+end_src

Maybe even not needed anymore...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: orgmode/beamer - won't export blocks
@ 2011-05-29 17:06 Benjamin Slade
From: Benjamin Slade @ 2011-05-29 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Seb,

So you don't include LaTeX packages that you always want to be loaded
in the .emacs config? I have a bunch of packages that I would need for
my beamer presentations and it would be nice just to have them
automatically included every time.

By the bye, I found the old config code from here:
http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2009/10/writing-presentations-with-org-mode-and.html

cheers,
  --Ben
From: 	Sebastien Vauban
Subject: 	Re: [O] orgmode/beamer - won't export blocks
Date: 	Fri, 27 May 2011 23:35:11 +0200

Hi Benjamin,

@ 2011-05-30 14:42 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-05-30 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Benjamin,

Benjamin Slade wrote:
> So you don't include LaTeX packages that you always want to be loaded in the
> .emacs config?

No, I tend to avoid doing such. This really is the worst place to think of...
because your .emacs file is personal. Then, you cannot (easily) share any of
your custom with anybody...

> I have a bunch of packages that I would need for my beamer presentations and
> it would be nice just to have them automatically included every time.

If you want to do so, either put your list of packages

- in an Org file that you #+INCLUDE as needed, or
- in your own theme (that's what I generally end up doing).

Both are better places, IMHO, for customs.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: orgmode/beamer - won't export blocks
@ 2011-05-30 16:18 Benjamin Slade
From: Benjamin Slade @ 2011-05-30 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Seb,

Many thanks for your reply. One last question: do you have an example
(or a link to an explanation about) making one's "own theme"? (I
understand the #+INCLUDE option).

cheers,
  --Ben

@ 2011-05-30 17:44 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-05-30 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Benjamin,

Benjamin Slade wrote:
>>> I have a bunch of packages that I would need for my beamer presentations and
>>> it would be nice just to have them automatically included every time.
>>
>> If you want to do so, either put your list of packages
>>
>> - in an Org file that you #+INCLUDE as needed, or
>> - in your own theme (that's what I generally end up doing).
>>
>> Both are better places, IMHO, for customs.
>
> Many thanks for your reply. One last question: do you have an example
> (or a link to an explanation about) making one's "own theme"? (I
> understand the #+INCLUDE option).

I haven't yet found a real tutorial about making his own Beamer theme. I just
copied one of beamers themes and modified it to meet my needs.

After you have a new theme, run texhash so that LaTeX finds the new theme --
if needed.

An extract from my file `beamerthemesva.sty':

#+begin_src latex
% Copyright 2010, 2011 by Seb Vauban

\ProvidesPackage{beamerthemesva}[2011/05/26 v1.0 sva beamer theme]

\usefonttheme{sva}% Put yours, or a default one
\usecolortheme{sva}% Put yours, or a default one
\useinnertheme{sva}% Put yours, or a default one
\useoutertheme{sva}% Put yours, or a default one

% Color hyperref links and urls
\definecolor{sva-color-link}{HTML}{1968BA} % blue
\definecolor{sva-color-url}{HTML}{003399} % darker blue
\hypersetup{%
    colorlinks=true,% avoid the red boxed around cross-references
    linkcolor=sva-color-link,% color of internal links
    urlcolor=sva-color-url, % color of external links
}%
#+end_src

Check how the currently existing theme are created. Not that hard. Not that
easy, though...

Best regards,
  Seb

--