From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
To: Eric Hanchrow <eric.hanchrow@gmail.com>
Cc: 9809@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#9809: 24.0.90; flyspell-auto-correct-word hard to access in org-mode
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 20:33:53 -0400	[thread overview]

Eric Hanchrow wrote:

> I started emacs with "emacs -Q".  Then I typed
>
>     M-x o r g - m o d e <return> M-x f l y s p e l l -
>     m o d e <return> C-h c <M-tab> C-h c M-TAB
>
> C-h c <M-tab> showed me "<M-tab> runs the command pcomplete".
> C-h c  M-TAB (which I typed via Ctrl+Alt+i) showed me "M-TAB runs the
> command flyspell-auto-correct-word".
>
> I expected _both_ key events -- <M-tab> and M-TAB -- to show me
> flyspell-auto-correct-word.

This occurs because org.el for some reason tries to define the M-TAB key
3 different ways:

(org-defkey org-mode-map [(meta tab)] 'pcomplete)
(org-defkey org-mode-map "\M-\t" 'pcomplete)
(org-defkey org-mode-map "\M-\C-i"      'pcomplete)

Removing all but the second definition would fix this.

Ref "Named ASCII Control Characters" in the lispref.

    If you do not want to distinguish between (for example) <TAB> and
    `C-i', make just one binding, for the ASCII character <TAB> (octal
    code 011). If you do want to distinguish, make one binding for this
    ASCII character, and another for the "function key" `tab'.