* How to use FILETAGS?
@ 2008-10-05 11:56 Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-10-05 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello All,

  I have set a "#+FILETAGS: :Personal:" in my org file (did a C-c C-c
to initilalize it.)  The tag did not appear in the agenda view like I
expected it to.  I was hoping to use agenda view filtering on tags to
see a subset of tasks with that tag (without having to set that for
all tasks.)  What else do I need to do for it to work?

-- Manish

* Re: How to use FILETAGS?
@ 2008-10-07 15:06 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-10-07 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

  On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Manish wrote:
  > Hello All,
  >
  >  I have set a "#+FILETAGS: :Personal:" in my org file (did a C-c C-c
  > to initilalize it.)  The tag did not appear in the agenda view like I
  > expected it to.  I was hoping to use agenda view filtering on tags to
  > see a subset of tasks with that tag (without having to set that for
  > all tasks.)  What else do I need to do for it to work?

Okay.  I think I realize my mistake now.

The FILETAGS are NOT meant to be displayed and hence can not be used
for filtering items in agenda view.  They are meant to be matched
while creating agenda only.

So I guess my question now becomes, does anyone know an easier way to
add a tag to a bunch of items?

-- Manish

* Re: Re: How to use FILETAGS?
@ 2008-10-07 16:28   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-07 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Manish,

On Oct 7, 2008, at 5:06 PM, Manish wrote:

>  On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Manish wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I have set a "#+FILETAGS: :Personal:" in my org file (did a C-c C-c
>> to initilalize it.)  The tag did not appear in the agenda view like I
>> expected it to.  I was hoping to use agenda view filtering on tags to
>> see a subset of tasks with that tag (without having to set that for
>> all tasks.)  What else do I need to do for it to work?
>>

> Okay.  I think I realize my mistake now.
>
> The FILETAGS are NOT meant to be displayed and hence can not be used
> for filtering items in agenda view.  They are meant to be matched
> while creating agenda only.

No.  They are used when the agenda is created, and they are stored in
a text property on the entry.  If you press "T", you should see all
the tags of an entry.  I just tested it, and it works fine, including
filtering, which acts on the text-property tags, not only on the
displayed tags.

Maybe you have turned off tag inheritance?  Because file tags are
*inherited* by all entries in the buffer.

HTH

- Carsten

> So I guess my question now becomes, does anyone know an easier way to
> add a tag to a bunch of items?
>
> -- Manish

* Re: Re: How to use FILETAGS?
@ 2008-10-07 17:30     ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-10-07 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
  > Hi Manish,
  >
  > On Oct 7, 2008, at 5:06 PM, Manish wrote:
  >
  >>  On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Manish wrote:
  >>>
  >>> Hello All,
  >>>
  >>> I have set a "#+FILETAGS: :Personal:" in my org file (did a C-c C-c
  >>> to initilalize it.)  The tag did not appear in the agenda view like I
  >>> expected it to.  I was hoping to use agenda view filtering on tags to
  >>> see a subset of tasks with that tag (without having to set that for
  >>> all tasks.)  What else do I need to do for it to work?
  >>>

  >> Okay.  I think I realize my mistake now.
  >>
  >> The FILETAGS are NOT meant to be displayed and hence can not be used
  >> for filtering items in agenda view.  They are meant to be matched
  >> while creating agenda only.
  >
  > No.  They are used when the agenda is created, and they are stored in a text
  > property on the entry.  If you press "T", you should see all the tags of an
  > entry.  I just tested it, and it works fine, including filtering, which acts
  > on the text-property tags, not only on the displayed tags.
  >
  > Maybe you have turned off tag inheritance?  Because file tags are
  > *inherited* by all entries in the buffer.

"T" does show the tags, inheritance is enabled for those specific tags
listed in FILETAGS only but am unable to make filtering work.

I also haven't seen those tags being added to property of items!  I am
guessing this property is added to only top-level items.

-- Manish

* Re: Re: How to use FILETAGS?
@ 2008-10-07 18:03       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-07 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 7, 2008, at 7:30 PM, Manish wrote:

>  On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> Hi Manish,

>>> Okay.  I think I realize my mistake now.
>>>
>>> The FILETAGS are NOT meant to be displayed and hence can not be used
>>> for filtering items in agenda view.  They are meant to be matched
>>> while creating agenda only.
>>
>> No.  They are used when the agenda is created, and they are stored
>> in a text
>> property on the entry.  If you press "T", you should see all the
>> tags of an
>> entry.  I just tested it, and it works fine, including filtering,
>> which acts
>> on the text-property tags, not only on the displayed tags.
>>
>> Maybe you have turned off tag inheritance?  Because file tags are
>> *inherited* by all entries in the buffer.
>
> "T" does show the tags, inheritance is enabled for those specific tags
> listed in FILETAGS only but am unable to make filtering work.

This absolutely does work for me, also with non-top-level entries.

Could someone else please check?

> I also haven't seen those tags being added to property of items!  I am
> guessing this property is added to only top-level items.

That is right, the TAGS property (I guess you mean in column view???)
only
shows the local tags.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: How to use FILETAGS?
@ 2008-10-07 18:16         ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-10-07 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[snip]
>> I also haven't seen those tags being added to property of items!  I am
>> guessing this property is added to only top-level items.
>
> That is right, the TAGS property (I guess you mean in column view???) only
> shows the local tags.

No property seems to be added to any item, including top-level ones.
When is the property added and what is the name of the property that
is added?

And tags specfied in FILETAGS do not appear even in plain vanilla
day's agenda view (C-c a a)

-- Manish

* Re: How to use FILETAGS?
@ 2008-10-09 15:13         ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-10-09 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Oct 7, 2008, at 7:30 PM, Manish wrote:
>
>>  On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>> Hi Manish,

>>> No.  They are used when the agenda is created, and they are stored
>>> in a text
>>> property on the entry.  If you press "T", you should see all the
>>> tags of an
>>> entry.  I just tested it, and it works fine, including filtering,
>>> which acts
>>> on the text-property tags, not only on the displayed tags.
>>>
>>> Maybe you have turned off tag inheritance?  Because file tags are
>>> *inherited* by all entries in the buffer.
>>
>> "T" does show the tags, inheritance is enabled for those specific tags
>> listed in FILETAGS only but am unable to make filtering work.
>
> This absolutely does work for me, also with non-top-level entries.
>
> Could someone else please check?

This works for me.  I added

#+FILETAGS: :Personal:

to the top of one of my org files, hit C-c C-c on the line to
reinitialize and then match tags with Personal as the target with

C-c a m Personal RET

and it lists all of the tasks in my org file including top-level tasks.
The tasks do now show :Personal: in the display but using T on any tasks
shows the tag is inherited.

I hit T on a task 4 levels deep and it includes the Personal tag.

It also works with

#+FILETAGS: Personal

-Bernt

* Re: How to use FILETAGS?
@ 2008-10-11 11:12           ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-10-11 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
  [snip]
  > This works for me.  I added
  >
  > #+FILETAGS: :Personal:
  >
  > to the top of one of my org files, hit C-c C-c on the line to
  > reinitialize and then match tags with Personal as the target with
  >
  > C-c a m Personal RET
  >
  > and it lists all of the tasks in my org file including top-level tasks.
  > The tasks do now show :Personal: in the display but using T on any tasks
  > shows the tag is inherited.
  >
  > I hit T on a task 4 levels deep and it includes the Personal tag.
  >
  > It also works with
  >
  > #+FILETAGS: Personal

Thanks Bernt.  It works this way for me as well.  I guess I should be
able to mimic similar behaviour by restricting agenda to that specific
buffer as well.

But does it (task filtering based on tags using "/") work while you
are in agenda view?

-- Manish

* Re: How to use FILETAGS?
@ 2008-10-11 19:13             ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-10-11 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:

>   On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>   [snip]
>   > This works for me.  I added
>   >
>   > #+FILETAGS: :Personal:
>   >
>   > to the top of one of my org files, hit C-c C-c on the line to
>   > reinitialize and then match tags with Personal as the target with
>   >
>   > C-c a m Personal RET
>   >
>   > and it lists all of the tasks in my org file including top-level tasks.
>   > The tasks do now show :Personal: in the display but using T on any tasks
>   > shows the tag is inherited.
>   >
>   > I hit T on a task 4 levels deep and it includes the Personal tag.
>   >
>   > It also works with
>   >
>   > #+FILETAGS: Personal
>
> Thanks Bernt.  It works this way for me as well.  I guess I should be
> able to mimic similar behaviour by restricting agenda to that specific
> buffer as well.
>
> But does it (task filtering based on tags using "/") work while you
> are in agenda view?

Yes this works for me.  / TAB <tagname> works even if tagname is not in
org-tag-alist.  Some of my (new) FILETAGS are still in my org-tag-alist
so I can just filter with the quick-keys but for the ones that are not
the / TAB <tagname> works fine.

I tested this with C-a a t to show all my todo keyword tasks without
scheduled dates and then used / to filter that list down to some
specific FILETAG tagname.

-Bernt

* Re: How to use FILETAGS?
@ 2008-10-18 11:46               ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-10-18 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 12:43 AM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
  > Manish writes:
  >
  >>   On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
  >>   [snip]
  >>   > This works for me.  I added
  >>   >
  >>   > #+FILETAGS: :Personal:
  >>   >
  >>   > to the top of one of my org files, hit C-c C-c on the line to
  >>   > reinitialize and then match tags with Personal as the target with
  >>   >
  >>   > C-c a m Personal RET
  >>   >
  >>   > and it lists all of the tasks in my org file including top-level tasks.
  >>   > The tasks do now show :Personal: in the display but using T
on any tasks
  >>   > shows the tag is inherited.
  >>   >
  >>   > I hit T on a task 4 levels deep and it includes the Personal tag.
  >>   >
  >>   > It also works with
  >>   >
  >>   > #+FILETAGS: Personal
  >>
  >> Thanks Bernt.  It works this way for me as well.  I guess I should be
  >> able to mimic similar behaviour by restricting agenda to that specific
  >> buffer as well.
  >>
  >> But does it (task filtering based on tags using "/") work while you
  >> are in agenda view?
  >
  > Yes this works for me.  / TAB <tagname> works even if tagname is not in
  > org-tag-alist.  Some of my (new) FILETAGS are still in my org-tag-alist
  > so I can just filter with the quick-keys but for the ones that are not
  > the / TAB <tagname> works fine.
  >
  > I tested this with C-a a t to show all my todo keyword tasks without
  > scheduled dates and then used / to filter that list down to some
  > specific FILETAG tagname.

Finally, agenda filtering on tags works for me.  Unfortunately, I am
not sure if it was an update, tweak or some other tinkering that fixed
it but it works beautifully.  It is now one of my favourite features.
I did not expect but was pleasently surprised to find that it allowed
filtering an already filtered view.  Carsten also fixed tab completion
of tags.  Sweet.

Will it be possible/useful to add some kind of indication to modeline
showing that filtering is in effect and the filters applied (may be
like "(Org Agenda Day Diary Filtered: P, t)")?  But I love it even
without it.

-- Manish

* Re: Re: How to use FILETAGS?
@ 2008-10-18 13:16                 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-18 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

Hi Manish,

I very much like the idea to add an indicator to the agenda mode line,
and will do that.

You said that you can filter an already filtered  view.  This is only
partially correct.  If you do that, it is not so that you will further
filter down the current list.  Instead, a new filter will be applied
to the original list.  At first I had it in fact implemented in a way
that several filters could be used in a row, but John Wiegley (how
asked for this feature) convinced me that the current convention is
better.

What this feature really does is saving you the definition of
different agenda commands selecting for specific tasks.  Instead, you
can now create one view and then filter it for different tags.

We could implement filtering for several tags, but I am not sure if
this will be really so useful.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: How to use FILETAGS?
@ 2008-10-18 13:34                   ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-10-18 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

  On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
  > Hi Manish,
  >
  > I very much like the idea to add an indicator to the agenda mode line, and
  > will do that.

Thank you.

  > You said that you can filter an already filtered  view.  This is only
  > partially correct.  If you do that, it is not so that you will further
  > filter down the current list.  Instead, a new filter will be applied to the
  > original list.

You are right.  I did not notice this in excitement.

  > At first I had it in fact implemented in a way that several
  > filters could be used in a row, but John Wiegley (how asked for this
  > feature) convinced me that the current convention is better.
  >
  > What this feature really does is saving you the definition of different
  > agenda commands selecting for specific tasks.  Instead, you can now create
  > one view and then filter it for different tags.

Yes.  I can see the point and the benefit.

  > We could implement filtering for several tags, but I am not sure if this
  > will be really so useful.

I kind of like the ability to zero-in on the kind of things you can do
at the moment based on repeated filtering (say, first select your
location.. home, work etc., then the kind of task you can do.. email,
phone, etc.  If only I could filter that fast on the effort too.. )  I
guess what I am trying to request is if this (repeated filtering) can
be a configurable behaviour?

-- Manish

* Re: How to use FILETAGS?
@ 2008-10-18 18:08                   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-10-18 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

Would it be possible to filter the data that creates the agenda clock
table report by tags?  This would be useful to limit the report to a
specific project that spans multiple org files for instance.

Right now I do a monthly agenda report for everything and cut and paste
the result to get the details I need for a particular project - if I
could just limit the display to a specific tag and have the report only
include clock times for that tag then this would be much easier for me
to deal with.

e.g.

| Key              | Detail                                |
|------------------+---------------------------------------|
| C-c a a          | Go to agenda                          |
| m                | Display agenda for this month         |
| R                | Display clock report for everything   |
| / TAB projecttag | Limit display to specific project tag |

and have the resulting clock report only include the filtered tasks and
their clock times.

I would find this very useful but don't let me create new work for you
if it's not easy/fun :)

Thanks for org-mode!

Regards,
Bernt