* Configuration query
@ 2010-11-17 21:19 Thomas S. Dye
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-11-17 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aloha all,

This might be a naive query, but I'm wondering if there is some
standard way to put the emacs configuration back to a previous state
outside of the customization interface?

I'm finding that I frequently work with Org-mode files that need
different configurations.  I typically have a #+begin_src emacs-lisp
block in these files that I can execute with C-c C-c, so that emacs
behaves the way the file requires for the task at hand.  When I'm
done, though, and jump onto the next task, which might depend on my
standard configuration to work correctly, I sometimes find that the
changes I've made break things.  At this point, I typically save, quit
emacs and start over.

What I'd like to do is be able to have, in each file that contains an
emacs-lisp source block that changes the configuration, a
corresponding source code block that puts things back the way they
were before the block was executed.

Perhaps there is an easy way to do this?

All the best,
Tom

* Re: Configuration query
@ 2010-11-18  9:47 ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-11-18  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Thomas,

"Thomas S. Dye" wrote:
> This might be a naive query, but I'm wondering if there is some standard way
> to put the emacs configuration back to a previous state  outside of the
> customization interface?
>
> I'm finding that I frequently work with Org-mode files that need different
> configurations.  I typically have a #+begin_src emacs-lisp  block in these
> files that I can execute with C-c C-c, so that emacs  behaves the way the file
> requires for the task at hand.  When I'm  done, though, and jump onto the next
> task, which might depend on my  standard configuration to work correctly, I
> sometimes find that the  changes I've made break things.  At this point, I
> typically save, quit  emacs and start over.
>
> What I'd like to do is be able to have, in each file that contains an
> emacs-lisp source block that changes the configuration, a  corresponding
> source code block that puts things back the way they  were before the block
> was executed.
>
> Perhaps there is an easy way to do this?

This may be a naive answer, but let's try: why wouldn't you have another
emacs-lisp block containing your standard configuration. In that way, you
would simply to have to C-c C-c' it.

#+begin_src dream?
Maybe one could imagine having a hook searching for such a specifically named
block and try to execute it, when switching to that buffer?
#+end_src

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Configuration query
@ 2010-11-18 14:03 ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2010-11-18 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

M-x load-file RET .emacs ?

On 11/17/10 10:19 PM, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
> Aloha all,
>
> This might be a naive query, but I'm wondering if there is some standard
> way to put the emacs configuration back to a previous state outside of
> the customization interface?
>
> I'm finding that I frequently work with Org-mode files that need
> different configurations. I typically have a #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> block in these files that I can execute with C-c C-c, so that emacs
> behaves the way the file requires for the task at hand. When I'm done,
> though, and jump onto the next task, which might depend on my standard
> configuration to work correctly, I sometimes find that the changes I've
> made break things. At this point, I typically save, quit emacs and start
> over.
>
> What I'd like to do is be able to have, in each file that contains an
> emacs-lisp source block that changes the configuration, a corresponding
> source code block that puts things back the way they were before the
> block was executed.
>
> Perhaps there is an easy way to do this?
>
> All the best,
> Tom

* Re: Configuration query
@ 2010-11-18 16:43   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-11-18 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aloha Séb and Jörg,

Thanks for these suggestions.  I was hoping for something a bit more
fine-grained, so that only the settings that were changed in the file
were reset, and the values they were reset to were the ones they had,
rather than the ones in .emacs.  It appears there is no standard way
to do this, which helps me on my way.

Tom

On Nov 18, 2010, at 4:03 AM, Jörg Hagmann wrote:

> M-x load-file RET .emacs ?
>
> On 11/17/10 10:19 PM, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>> Aloha all,
>>
>> This might be a naive query, but I'm wondering if there is some
>> standard
>> way to put the emacs configuration back to a previous state outside
>> of
>> the customization interface?
>>
>> I'm finding that I frequently work with Org-mode files that need
>> different configurations. I typically have a #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>> block in these files that I can execute with C-c C-c, so that emacs
>> behaves the way the file requires for the task at hand. When I'm
>> done,
>> though, and jump onto the next task, which might depend on my
>> standard
>> configuration to work correctly, I sometimes find that the changes
>> I've
>> made break things. At this point, I typically save, quit emacs and
>> start
>> over.
>>
>> What I'd like to do is be able to have, in each file that contains an
>> emacs-lisp source block that changes the configuration, a
>> corresponding
>> source code block that puts things back the way they were before the
>> block was executed.
>>
>> Perhaps there is an easy way to do this?
>>
>> All the best,
>> Tom

* Re: Configuration query
@ 2010-11-18 17:42     ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-11-18 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Thomas,

"Thomas S. Dye" wrote:
> Aloha Séb and Jörg,
>
> Thanks for these suggestions. I was hoping for something a bit more
> fine-grained, so that only the settings that were changed in the file were
> reset, and the values they were reset to were the ones they had, rather than
> the ones in .emacs. It appears there is no standard way to do this, which
> helps me on my way.

Just the necessary values?  Waouwww... Not easy, I guess. What you want, then,
is some sort of rollback to a previous state of multiple different values.

Just another idea launched in the air (never used that): wouldn't there be
something to look at in the direction of Emacs sessions?  Can we save
sessions, and come back to a previously saved one?  If yes, that could be the
way to go...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Configuration query
@ 2010-11-18 22:07 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2010-11-18 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm finding that I frequently work with Org-mode files that need
> different configurations. I typically have a #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> block in these files that I can execute with C-c C-c, so that emacs
> behaves the way the file requires for the task at hand. When I'm
> done, though, and jump onto the next task, which might depend on my
> standard configuration to work correctly, I sometimes find that the
> changes I've made break things. At this point, I typically save,
> quit emacs and start over.

> What I'd like to do is be able to have, in each file that contains
> an emacs-lisp source block that changes the configuration, a
> corresponding source code block that puts things back the way they
> were before the block was executed.

> Perhaps there is an easy way to do this?

What about making configuration variables buffer-local in the block
you execute? Once the buffer is killed, you should be back to your
previous configuration.

For example:

  #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (make-local-variable 'sentence-end-double-space)
  (setq sentence-end-double-space t)
  #+END_SRC

Regards,

-- Nicolas