From: "Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org>
To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: org-babel-dot on windows
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2011 22:27:49 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Bas,

Bas Bossink wrote:
> The error says: Error: dot: can't open
> c\:/Users/bas/AppData/Local/Temp/babel-2652SMW/dot-2652b4h
>
> running:
> dot -Tpng \Users\bas\AppData\Local\Temp\babel-2652SMW\dot-2652b4h -o
> test.png
>
> in a cmd window works fine and generates the png I would expect.

That shows a problem that I would relate to the shell.

BTW, I find your filepath quite weird, with c\:/Users... I'm sure there is a
quoting problem there. What happens if you try M-x ffap on that path?  Does
Emacs recognize it?

> About my configuration, I don't know if there is anything weird in it. For
> reference I appended the org-mode part of my .emacs at the bottom of this
> message.

Hence, your org-mode config is not important; the one which is, is the one
about shell. Something such as:

#+begin_src sh
      ;; for single shell commands
      (setq shell-file-name
            ;; must be in the `PATH' (Windows users)
            (cond ((executable-find "bash") "bash")
                  ((executable-find "cmdproxy.exe") "cmdproxy.exe")
                  (t "cmd.exe"))) ;; = system shell

      ;; use `shell-file-name' as the default shell
      (when (try-require 'env)
        (setenv "SHELL" shell-file-name))

      ;; switch used to have the shell execute its command line argument
      ;; (`/c' does not work with XEmacs)
      (setq shell-command-switch
            (cond ((eq shell-file-name "cmd.exe") "/c") ; using a system shell
                  (t "-c")))

      ;; quote process arguments to ensure correct parsing on Windows
      (setq w32-quote-process-args
            (cond ((eq shell-file-name "cmd.exe") nil) ; using a system shell
                  (t t)))
#+end_src

> Do you know anybody who has a Windows box that can reproduce/investigate
> this problem?

HTH.

Best regards,
  Seb