* Nested calls in babel
@ 2019-09-10  7:57 Carlos Sánchez de La Lama
From: Carlos Sánchez de La Lama @ 2019-09-10  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I am being unable to make nested calls work. Here is a minimal snippet:

#+NAME: foo
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
"foo"
#+END_SRC

#+NAME: bar
#+CALL: foo()

#+RESULTS: bar
: foo

#+CALL: bar()

#+RESULTS:
: nil

Why does the last call (to bar) return nil instead of the result of bar
(which is "foo")? Actually, if I remove foo altogether, executing "bar"
block gives an error, but executing the last call to "bar" still works
(and still returns nil).

Are nested calls supported at all?

Thanks,

Carlos

--
Carlos

* Re: Nested calls in babel
@ 2019-09-12 17:17 ` Berry, Charles
From: Berry, Charles @ 2019-09-12 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Sánchez de La Lama; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Your example works for me. viz, the call to bar returns "foo" (not nil).

MacOS 10.14.6, Emacs 26.1, org release_9.2.6-534-g6f32e7

HTH,

Chuck

> On Sep 10, 2019, at 12:57 AM, Carlos Sánchez de La Lama <csanchezdll@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am being unable to make nested calls work. Here is a minimal snippet:

> #+NAME: foo
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> "foo"
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+NAME: bar
> #+CALL: foo()
>
> #+RESULTS: bar
> : foo
>
> #+CALL: bar()
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : nil
>
> Why does the last call (to bar) return nil instead of the result of bar
> (which is "foo")? Actually, if I remove foo altogether, executing "bar"
> block gives an error, but executing the last call to "bar" still works
> (and still returns nil).
>
> Are nested calls supported at all?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carlos
>
> --
> Carlos

* Re: Nested calls in babel
@ 2019-09-16  9:31   ` Carlos Sánchez de La Lama
From: Carlos Sánchez de La Lama @ 2019-09-16  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Berry, Charles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Chuck,

>> I am being unable to make nested calls work. Here is a minimal snippet:

>> #+NAME: foo
>> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>> "foo"
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> #+NAME: bar
>> #+CALL: foo()
>>
>> #+RESULTS: bar
>> : foo
>>
>> #+CALL: bar()
>>
>> #+RESULTS:
>> : nil
>
> Your example works for me. viz, the call to bar returns "foo" (not nil).

thanks for checking. I was using 25.3. I have now upgraded to 26.3 and
it works as expected :)

Carlos