From: edgar@openmail.cc
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: General advice beyond Org
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 00:28:22 +0000	[thread overview]

Hello,

_I_ need help. I am in graduate school, and I keep having issues with my
advisor for my strong inclination to use free software. I am obviously
not in position to refuse, but she dislikes to have discussions about
it. She pays a stipend to me every month, and my tuition is waved.

Is anyone here aware of a place where they do computational human
biomechanics, mechanics, materials or finite elements where I could
interact with free software? (having github, LaTeX, Python, etc.; avoid
Micro$oft products, Matlab, Mathematica, etc.). Is there no place where
one can simply use free software on a daily basis?

It seems from her comments that I am, otherwise, a good researcher. She
is a nice person, but I fear that this may become an issue in the future
for me (whether with her or other people).

As a student or junior faculty, how do you go about this? Do you just
nod and wave your freedom good bye?

Thank you! (I will post this in other fora as well; don't let that to
discourage you from answering, please).

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!