* Table block help
@ 2014-12-16 19:19 Subhan Michael Tindall
From: Subhan Michael Tindall @ 2014-12-16 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'emacs-orgmode@gnu.org'

How does emacs choose what special editor (or if one exists) to call when running org-edit-special at point?

I work a lot with data in tables in my org files, and often have tables hundreds of lines long that are often pasted in ascii and converted to org tables using C-c |
I generally want the tables to start out folded, which I currently accomplish by wrapping them in a #+BEGIN_TABLE/#+END_TABLE block
I'd love to be able to pop them out into a separate frame for editing using C-c ' (org-edit-special), remaining in org mode the whole time.
I DON"T want to call the formula editor with C-c ', even if I'm within the table itself. I could live with this as long as I can jump to start of line and pop out into a special buffer.
It looks like I should be looking toward org-edit-src-code, but it does not appear to be easily configurable for new/different language types.
A more advanced solution would be to pop the table out into a specialized table-editing minor mode, org major mode with some specialized keybindings to assist in editing the tables.

Any ideas? Any quick solutions?

Subhan

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.  Thank you.

* Re: Table block help
@ 2014-12-16 19:34 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-12-16 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Subhan Michael Tindall; +Cc: 'emacs-orgmode@gnu.org'

Aloha Subhan,

Subhan Michael Tindall <SubhanT@familycareinc.org> writes:

> How does emacs choose what special editor (or if one exists) to call
> when running org-edit-special at point?
>
> I work a lot with data in tables in my org files, and often have
> tables hundreds of lines long that are often pasted in ascii and
> converted to org tables using C-c |
> I generally want the tables to start out folded, which I currently
> accomplish by wrapping them in a #+BEGIN_TABLE/#+END_TABLE block

Or, #+name: mytable, then TAB on the #+name: line.

> I'd love to be able to pop them out into a separate frame for editing
> using C-c ' (org-edit-special), remaining in org mode the whole time.
> I DON"T want to call the formula editor with C-c ', even if I'm within
> the table itself. I could live with this as long as I can jump to
> start of line and pop out into a special buffer.
> It looks like I should be looking toward org-edit-src-code, but it
> does not appear to be easily configurable for new/different language
> types.

A low tech approach: put the table under its own heading then Subtree to
Indirect Buffer, C-c C-x b.

hth,
Tom

--