* is there a hook to save a remember buffer?
@ 2009-09-09  5:42 Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2009-09-09  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Is there a hook to save the remember buffer when I type C-c C-r when I'm in
an unsaved remember buffer?  That would be almost as good, perhaps better,
than saving the remember buffer to a special file or directory.

Alan

You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world,  but when
you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird...
So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing---that's what counts.

   ----Richard Feynman

* Re: is there a hook to save a remember buffer?
@ 2009-09-09 20:17 ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2009-09-09 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I've looked briefly into the org-remember.el.  A hook exists:
remember-mode-hook.  Im not sure it can be successfully applied to the case
I envision.

THere are tradeoffs to immediately saving a remember buffer to a file, and
editing a note in the remember buffer, then saving with  remember-finalize.
I don't remember what they are, as they led me away from immediately saving
quite a while ago. I was strongly encouraged by the establishment of a
procedure to automatically save to a directory, any remember buffer that was
not finallized.  I had some issues with it, including how clunky it was to
recover, and it was broken at some point, when I was too busy to fix it.

One problem with editing in the Remember buffer, then saving later, is
forgetting where I am.  I can rely on several remember templates, and too
often have lost the remember buffer's contents, when I ran remember again.

What I propose is the make it possible---optionally---to invoke a hook to
save existing remember buffers when C-c C-r (X) is used to file a remember
note while in the remember buffer already.

I found a test "bufferp".  It does not seem to recognize the buffer name
"Remember", nor "*Remember*".

Is it possible to do this, or is remember going to defeat this?

Alan Davis

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Alan E. Davis <lngndvs@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a hook to save the remember buffer when I type C-c C-r when I'm in
> an unsaved remember buffer?  That would be almost as good, perhaps better,
> than saving the remember buffer to a special file or directory.
>

> Alan
>
> You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world,  but
> when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the
> bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing---that's what
> counts.
>
>    ----Richard Feynman

* Re: Re: is there a hook to save a remember buffer?
@ 2009-09-29  9:37   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-09-29  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: org-mode

Hi Allen,

saving remember buffers is hackish and complex as it is, so I am not
going to add this option.

I think the workflow has to be this:

Create a remember buffer and more-or-less immediately file it.

If you need to work on the content for a longer time, work on it at
the target location:  Simply exit remember with C-u C-c C-c.  The
buffer will be filed and the target location will be visited
immediately.  So now you can work there as long as you want, and start
another remember process when you need one.

HTH

- Carsten