I apologize for sending so many updates. I was able to get the feature I desire by adding the following to the top of the exported LaTeX and replacing "itemize" with "packed_item". \newenvironment{packed_item}{ \begin{itemize} \setlength{\itemsep}{1pt} \setlength{\parskip}{0pt} \setlength{\parsep}{0pt} }{\end{itemize}} It would be preferable by far to be able to get this effect straightaway in exported pdfs. But I think I need to change my mode of outlining or else find a way to reduce the spacing in sectioning-based outlines in the exported LaTeX. Perhaps a macro to convert from ** based outlines to plain list (-) outlines. Alan