* Change line spacing for lists for LaTeX export
@ 2009-06-18 22:02 Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2009-06-18 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I need to print outlines in a more compact form than LaTeX lists ordinarily
provide.  I often have used the paralist package, although it conflicts with
some other packages.  How can I alter the line spacing for the lists
directly, for export?

I found this suggestion, and I was going to use #+LATEX_HEADER:, but then it
occured to me that I don't have a way to specifiy that "my_enumerate" would
be used instead of "enumerate".

This is the code I found on line:

%
% this makes list spacing much better.
%
\newenvironment{my_enumerate}{
\begin{enumerate}
  \setlength{\itemsep}{1pt}
  \setlength{\parskip}{0pt}
  \setlength{\parsep}{0pt}}{\end{enumerate}

}

Thank you for any suggestions.

Alan Davis

"Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them
to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value."
  --- Buckminster Fuller

* Re: Change line spacing for lists for LaTeX export
@ 2009-06-18 22:18 ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2009-06-18 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I can see now that the LaTeX source for my outline is not in list form, but
in sections.   When I reformat to use list notation in org, the following do
not change anything in the pdf that is output.  Interestingly, when I export
LaTeX into a buffer latex then complains about too many nested levels, while
the pdf is exported ok.

Perhaps there is another length parameter I can change to make the outlines
based on sectioning more compact.

Alan

@ 2009-06-18 22:19   ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2009-06-18 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I had used the following:

#+LATEX_HEADER:\addtolength{\itemsep}{-4pt}

and, previously:

#+LATEX_HEADER:\setlength{\itemsep}{1pt}

Neither of them makes a difference.

Alan

@ 2009-06-18 23:09     ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2009-06-18 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I apologize for sending so many updates.

I was able to get the feature I desire by adding the following to the top of
the exported LaTeX and replacing "itemize" with "packed_item".

\newenvironment{packed_item}{
\begin{itemize}
  \setlength{\itemsep}{1pt}
  \setlength{\parskip}{0pt}
  \setlength{\parsep}{0pt}
}{\end{itemize}}

It would be preferable by far to be able to get this effect straightaway in
exported pdfs.

But I think I need to  change my mode of outlining or else find  a way to
reduce the spacing in sectioning-based outlines in the exported LaTeX.
Perhaps a macro to convert from ** based outlines to plain list (-)
outlines.

Alan

* Re: Change line spacing for lists for LaTeX export
@ 2009-06-26 15:41 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-26 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: org-mode

On Jun 19, 2009, at 12:02 AM, Alan E. Davis wrote:

> I need to print outlines in a more compact form than LaTeX lists
> ordinarily provide.  I often have used the paralist package,
> although it conflicts with some other packages.  How can I alter the
> line spacing for the lists directly, for export?
>
> I found this suggestion, and I was going to use #+LATEX_HEADER:, but
> then it occured to me that I don't have a way to specifiy that
> "my_enumerate" would be used instead of "enumerate".
>
> This is the code I found on line:
>
> %
> % this makes list spacing much better.
> %
> \newenvironment{my_enumerate}{
> \begin{enumerate}
>   \setlength{\itemsep}{1pt}
>   \setlength{\parskip}{0pt}
>   \setlength{\parsep}{0pt}}{\end{enumerate}
>

> }
> Thank you for any suggestions.

You can now (latest git) define an environment like you do above

Then set

(setq org-export-latex-low-levels '("\\begin{myenv}" "\\end{myenv}" "\
\item %s"))

Now this environment will be used for the lower levels of LaTeX export.

Note that you can use

to force even the top-level headings into this environment.

HTH

- Carsten