From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@gmail.com>
To: Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com>
Cc: org-mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: removal of appointments
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:09:29 +1000	[thread overview]

Richard:

I want to preface this with a statement of truth: I don't know what I am
talking about.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Richard Riley
<rileyrgdev@googlemail.com>wrote:

>                         I guess I was just fishing to see if someone had
> implemented something like a "make a noise property" with a sleep
> feature for example that associated a certain property with a WAV/mp3
> file and when the appointment is triggered it will play the audo file if
> appropriate.

All the same, I was able to hack together a simple little routine to start a
video in vlc from dired and also start an org-mode buffer with a timer at
the same time.

The elements that can make what you want to happen happen, do exist or could
be put together.  But you are on your own.  Just the same if you contact me
off the list I'll send a copy of what I put together (dired-vlc.el) and
maybe suggest which part would be useful for modifying to play an mp3.
Interestingly, the routines I borrowed from were designed around mplayer,
and they are simple.

As far as the trigger, I wouldn't know where to begin.

The sleep function would be possible too, but I was quite far out of my
depth even in what I had done, and up 'til now I have not gotten around to
trying to incorporate pausing into dired-vlc.el, although others have
indicated it is doable.

Alan

--
Alan Davis

"An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need for one
non-existent."                     ---Lord Raleigh (John William Strutt), or
else his son, who was also a scientist.

It is undesirable to believe a proposition when
there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true.
    ---- Bertrand Russell