Some time ago, the idea of an instant reference card was bantered about on the list. I presented a file called org-help.org. I have worked on it from time to time, and it's changed quite a bit. My most recent idea is to have it available on a keystroke, completely folded, and each line would instantly display some of the most commonly used keys for that topic, then by opening that headline, a tree would be revealed with more detailed keybindings. I've played with it, and it's helpful, and I'll make it available RSN, hoping others will find ways to make it more useful. My final touch would be to incorporate a link for each topic to the relevant topics in the org-mode info manual. What's missing is the convenience of info mode, of being able to stuff it away with "q" and call it up again at the same point. That would be more convenient. I'm unable to go forth on that part of the quest, because I haven't gotten my head around texinfo (yet?). Meanwhile, I remembered a little help popup I made to remember all my keybindings, long years ago. Here's a quick popup to get a transient display of some keybindings above the current line. I didn't understand how to wire it into org-mode-map's keybindings, so I bound it, for now, to \C-cp. The beauty of this gem is to be able to type the keys right away, and they work. Please feel free to improve it. Maybe another two or three of these would provide a person with his own frequently used keys. ;;;;;; org-popup-help ;;---------------- ;; Org Popup Help ;;---------------------- (defun org-popup-help () "Inserts a reminder of my org keybindings momentarily above the current line, until the next keystroke." (interactive) (save-excursion (momentary-string-display org-keys (save-excursion (beginning-of-line) (point)) nil "Type SPC or any command to erase help."))) ;; (defvar org-keys (concat " | \n" " | \n" ;;; " | Visibility Cycling TAB C-i \n" " | Motion C-c C-n/p / C-c C-f/b / C-c C-u / C-c C-j \n" " | Structure Editing M-RET / M-L/R / M-S-L/R \n" " | Sorting C-c ^ \n" " | Converting to headlines/removing stars C-c * \n" " | Checkboxes M-S-RET\n" " | Archiving [manual] C-c C-x a \n" " | Filtering and Sparse Trees C-c / \n" " | Links C-c l / C-c C-l \n" " | TODO Items M-S-RET C-c C-t \n" " | Tags C-c C-q / C-c C-c / C-c \\n" " | Properties and Column View C-c C-x p \n" " | Timestamps C-c . / C-c ! \n" " | *Schedule and Deadline* C-c C-s / C-c C-d\n" " | Clocking time C-c C-x C-i / C-c C-x C-o \n" " | Relative time clock C-c C-x . / C-c C-x - \n" " | Exporting and Publishing C-c C-e \n" " | Attachments Dispatcher Commands: C-c C-a \n" ) "*String displayed above current line by \\org-popup-help].") ;(define-key org-mode-map "p" 'org-popup-help) (global-set-key "\C-cp" 'org-popup-help) ;;;;;;;;;;;;;END org-popup-help. I'll provide it as a file as well, in case the tabs/spaces get blown away in the mail. Alan -- Alan Davis It is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true. ---- Bertrand Russell They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea. ---- Sir Francis Bacon