* Timestamps
@ 2006-11-22 15:17 J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2006-11-22 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sorry everyone, I thought I saw this in the docs, but I can't find it now.

Is there someway to insert a timestamp, rather than a 'date' stamp?

Dave

* Re: Timestamps
@ 2006-11-22 16:08 ` David Emery
From: David Emery @ 2006-11-22 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:17:19 -0500, david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) wrote:
> Sorry everyone, I thought I saw this in the docs, but I can't find it now.
>
> Is there someway to insert a timestamp, rather than a 'date' stamp?

Yup, there is:

C-u C-c .

Dave

> Dave

* Re: Timestamps
@ 2006-11-22 16:16 ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2006-11-22 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I had to look that up myself.  It's 'C-u C-c .'.  You may want to look
up the option org-time-stamp-rounding-minutes also.

Edd

On 11/22/06, J. David Boyd <david@adboyd.com> wrote:

> Sorry everyone, I thought I saw this in the docs, but I can't find it now.
>
> Is there someway to insert a timestamp, rather than a 'date' stamp?
>
> Dave

* Re: Timestamps
@ 2006-11-22 16:37   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2006-11-22 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Eddward DeVilla" <eddward@gmail.com> writes:

> I had to look that up myself.  It's 'C-u C-c .'.  You may want to look
> up the option org-time-stamp-rounding-minutes also.
>
> Edd
>
> On 11/22/06, J. David Boyd <david@adboyd.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry everyone, I thought I saw this in the docs, but I can't find it now.
>>
>> Is there someway to insert a timestamp, rather than a 'date' stamp?
>>
>> Dave

Thanks guys.  This is what I was looking for, and lead me to the corollary,
C-u C-c ! for making non-active timestamps with the time in them.

* Re: Timestamps
@ 2006-11-22 16:46     ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2006-11-22 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

> "Eddward DeVilla" <eddward@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I had to look that up myself.  It's 'C-u C-c .'.  You may want to look
>> up the option org-time-stamp-rounding-minutes also.
>>
>> Edd
>>
>> On 11/22/06, J. David Boyd <david@adboyd.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry everyone, I thought I saw this in the docs, but I can't find it now.
>>>
>>> Is there someway to insert a timestamp, rather than a 'date' stamp?
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

> Thanks guys.  This is what I was looking for, and lead me to the corollary,
> C-u C-c ! for making non-active timestamps with the time in them.

s/lead me/led me/

* timestamps
@ 2010-02-08  8:54 Rares Pop
From: Rares Pop @ 2010-02-08  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm using orgmode 6.30d, under the OS Ubuntu 8.04 and the general idea is to
use it to log my work and i'm facing the following issues:

   - insert a constant timestamp (e.g. i forgot to insert an activity that i
   did yesterday, and i want to log it. Ican't insert a clock with previous
   start and end date)
   - change a timestamp inserted with a clock log in (e.g. i booked an
   activity to had started at 01:40PM but it actually started at 02:00 PM, how
   can i change it to have it delayed 20 minutes later)
   - export the org mode document with the clocks timestamp (e.g. i want to
   export the working log with all the timestamp both HTML and PDF but i have
   no success. The clock timestamps are not displayed in the output file)

I mentioned that i read all the manual and the advices given there don't
work.

Thank you very much for your help,
Rares

* Re: timestamps
@ 2010-02-08 13:14 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-02-08 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rares Pop; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rares Pop <rares.pop@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm using orgmode 6.30d, under the OS Ubuntu 8.04 and the general
> idea is to use it to log my work and i'm facing the following issues:
>
>   * insert a constant timestamp (e.g. i forgot to insert an activity
>     that i did yesterday, and i want to log it. Ican't insert a clock
>     with previous start and end date)

You can insert an timestamp with HH:MM by typing "C-u C-c !".

Here is a *very simple* function I use to insert a clock line at point:

    (defun my-org-insert-old-clock ()
      "Insert a clock line interactively at point."
      (interactive)
      (open-line 1)
      (insert "CLOCK: ")
      (org-time-stamp-inactive t)
      (insert "--")
      (org-time-stamp-inactive t)
      (org-clock-update-time-maybe))

>   * change a timestamp inserted with a clock log in (e.g. i booked an
>     activity to had started at 01:40PM but it actually started at 02:00
>     PM, how can i change it to have it delayed 20 minutes later)

You can change a time stamp by using Shift and the arrow keys. S-left
and S-right move forward and backward by day. S-up and S-down change
individual elements of the clock (hour, minutes, etc.).

See manual section 8.2: "Creating timestamps."

>   * export the org mode document with the clocks timestamp (e.g. i want
>     to export the working log with all the timestamp both HTML and PDF
>     but i have no success. The clock timestamps are not displayed in
>     the output file)

Are your timestamps in a :LOGBOOK: drawer? If so, you can turn on the
inclusion of drawers in export by adding the following line to the top
of your file:

Or you can set org-export-with-drawers to t.

Hope this helps.
Matt

* Re: timestamps
@ 2010-02-08 16:23   ` Rares Pop
       [not found]     ` <ADF3DA75-911F-4E3D-BEC1-089EAE8C2B19@gmail.com>
From: Rares Pop @ 2010-02-08 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Matt,

It worked almost everything, with the exception of publishing and exporting.
That doesn't work only if i delete the CLOCK: string before the timestamp.

Here is the line:
 CLOCK: [2010-02-08 Mon 15:31]--[2010-02-08 Mon 16:32] =>  1:01

I searched through the doco but i didn't not find any solution, to export it
the way it is.

Can you give some more ideas?

Best regards,
RAres

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

> Rares Pop <rares.pop@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I'm using orgmode 6.30d, under the OS Ubuntu 8.04 and the general
> > idea is to use it to log my work and i'm facing the following issues:
> >
> >   * insert a constant timestamp (e.g. i forgot to insert an activity
> >     that i did yesterday, and i want to log it. Ican't insert a clock
> >     with previous start and end date)
>
> You can insert an timestamp with HH:MM by typing "C-u C-c !".
>
> Here is a *very simple* function I use to insert a clock line at point:

>    (defun my-org-insert-old-clock ()
>      "Insert a clock line interactively at point."
>      (interactive)
>      (open-line 1)
>      (insert "CLOCK: ")
>      (org-time-stamp-inactive t)
>      (insert "--")
>      (org-time-stamp-inactive t)
>      (org-clock-update-time-maybe))
>
> >   * change a timestamp inserted with a clock log in (e.g. i booked an
> >     activity to had started at 01:40PM but it actually started at 02:00
> >     PM, how can i change it to have it delayed 20 minutes later)
>
> You can change a time stamp by using Shift and the arrow keys. S-left
> and S-right move forward and backward by day. S-up and S-down change
> individual elements of the clock (hour, minutes, etc.).
>
> See manual section 8.2: "Creating timestamps."
>
> >   * export the org mode document with the clocks timestamp (e.g. i want
> >     to export the working log with all the timestamp both HTML and PDF
> >     but i have no success. The clock timestamps are not displayed in
> >     the output file)
>
> Are your timestamps in a :LOGBOOK: drawer? If so, you can turn on the
> inclusion of drawers in export by adding the following line to the top
> of your file:

> Or you can set org-export-with-drawers to t.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Matt

* Re: Re: timestamps
       [not found]     ` <ADF3DA75-911F-4E3D-BEC1-089EAE8C2B19@gmail.com>
@ 2010-02-09  7:21       ` Rares Pop
From: Rares Pop @ 2010-02-09  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode

Thanks for the answer Carsten.

There is any plan to support it in future releases?

Thanks,
Rares

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 12:42 AM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2010, at 5:23 PM, Rares Pop wrote:
>
>  Hi Matt,
>>
>> It worked almost everything, with the exception of publishing and
>> exporting.
>> That doesn't work only if i delete the CLOCK: string before the timestamp.
>>
>> Here is the line:
>>  CLOCK: [2010-02-08 Mon 15:31]--[2010-02-08 Mon 16:32] =>  1:01
>>
>> I searched through the doco but i didn't not find any solution, to export
>> it the way it is.
>>
>> Can you give some more ideas?
>>

> Clock lines are currently unconditionally removed during export.
> Mainly because I think they look ugly and nobody wants to see them.
>
> - Carsten
>

>> Best regards,
>> RAres
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
>> Rares Pop <rares.pop@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > I'm using orgmode 6.30d, under the OS Ubuntu 8.04 and the general
>> > idea is to use it to log my work and i'm facing the following issues:
>> >
>> >   * insert a constant timestamp (e.g. i forgot to insert an activity
>> >     that i did yesterday, and i want to log it. Ican't insert a clock
>> >     with previous start and end date)
>>
>> You can insert an timestamp with HH:MM by typing "C-u C-c !".
>>
>> Here is a *very simple* function I use to insert a clock line at point:

>>   (defun my-org-insert-old-clock ()
>>     "Insert a clock line interactively at point."
>>     (interactive)
>>     (open-line 1)
>>     (insert "CLOCK: ")
>>     (org-time-stamp-inactive t)
>>     (insert "--")
>>     (org-time-stamp-inactive t)
>>     (org-clock-update-time-maybe))
>>
>> >   * change a timestamp inserted with a clock log in (e.g. i booked an
>> >     activity to had started at 01:40PM but it actually started at 02:00
>> >     PM, how can i change it to have it delayed 20 minutes later)
>>
>> You can change a time stamp by using Shift and the arrow keys. S-left
>> and S-right move forward and backward by day. S-up and S-down change
>> individual elements of the clock (hour, minutes, etc.).
>>
>> See manual section 8.2: "Creating timestamps."
>>
>> >   * export the org mode document with the clocks timestamp (e.g. i want
>> >     to export the working log with all the timestamp both HTML and PDF
>> >     but i have no success. The clock timestamps are not displayed in
>> >     the output file)
>>
>> Are your timestamps in a :LOGBOOK: drawer? If so, you can turn on the
>> inclusion of drawers in export by adding the following line to the top
>> of your file:

>> Or you can set org-export-with-drawers to t.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>> Matt

> - Carsten

* Re: Re: timestamps
@ 2010-02-11 16:14         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-02-11 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rares Pop; +Cc: Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode

On Feb 9, 2010, at 8:21 AM, Rares Pop wrote:

> Thanks for the answer Carsten.
>
> There is any plan to support it in future releases?

No plans yet.

One thing you could do is to use one of the hooks like org-export-
proprocess-hook to install a function that will find clock tasks and
format then in a way that they will look nice.

Then you can show us the result and convince us that this would be
good to have as a built-in option.

How about that?

- Carsten

> [...]
> 02:00
> >     PM, how can i change it to have it delayed 20 minutes later)
>
> You can change a time stamp by using Shift and the arrow keys. S-left
> and S-right move forward and backward by day. S-up and S-down change
> individual elements of the clock (hour, minutes, etc.).
>
> See manual section 8.2: "Creating timestamps."
>
> >   * export the org mode document with the clocks timestamp (e.g. i
> want
> >     to export the working log with all the timestamp both HTML and
> PDF
> >     but i have no success. The clock timestamps are not displayed in
> >     the output file)
>
> Are your timestamps in a :LOGBOOK: drawer? If so, you can turn on the
> inclusion of drawers in export by adding the following line to the top
> of your file:

> Or you can set org-export-with-drawers to t.

- Carsten

* Timestamps
@ 2021-11-28  4:52 David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2021-11-28  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Has the format for timestamps covering (say) a few hours changed?  The
following is still possible with "C-c .", but (I think) it is not
documented in the Org-Mode manual:

  <2021-11-27 Sat 10:30-12:30>

This seems to be the new standard:
  <2021-11-27 Sat 10:30>--<2021-11-27 Sat 12:30>

--
David Masterson

* Re: Timestamps
@ 2021-11-28  6:59 ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2021-11-28  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson, emacs-orgmode

I think the new standard is better since it allows for work or an agenda
item to cross one or more Midnights.

@ 2021-11-28 19:54 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2021-11-28 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> writes:

> Has the format for timestamps covering (say) a few hours changed?  The
> following is still possible with "C-c .", but (I think) it is not
> documented in the Org-Mode manual:
>
>   <2021-11-27 Sat 10:30-12:30>
>
> This seems to be the new standard:
>   <2021-11-27 Sat 10:30>--<2021-11-27 Sat 12:30>

Both are valid. Maybe the manual needs some clarification. Would you
want to tackle it?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Timestamps
@ 2021-12-01  3:33   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2021-12-01  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:

> I think the new standard is better since it allows for work or an agenda
> item to cross one or more Midnights.

If so, then the Org commands should be updated to follow the standard.

--
David Masterson

* Re: Timestamps
@ 2021-12-01  3:38     ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2021-12-01  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Not to mention the documentation.

@ 2021-12-01  3:53       ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2021-12-01  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

My mistake -- it is in the (latest?) documentation of "Plain Timestamp"
under "Dates and Times".  Eyes are getting old.  ;-)

@ 2021-12-01  3:54   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2021-12-01  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Hello,
>
> David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> writes:
>
>> Has the format for timestamps covering (say) a few hours changed?  The
>> following is still possible with "C-c .", but (I think) it is not
>> documented in the Org-Mode manual:
>>
>>   <2021-11-27 Sat 10:30-12:30>
>>
>> This seems to be the new standard:
>>   <2021-11-27 Sat 10:30>--<2021-11-27 Sat 12:30>
>
> Both are valid. Maybe the manual needs some clarification. Would you
> want to tackle it?

My mistake, I missed it.  Thanks

--
David Masterson