* pretty icons in org buffers
@ 2009-06-21 11:17 David O'Toole
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David O'Toole @ 2009-06-21 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've been re-entering my life data into Orgmode after about a year of just
using a palm pilot. So I would like to contribute something to the org
community again. A while back I wrote some elisp code for displaying bitmap
icons as overlays in org buffers (screenshots at
http://dto.github.com/notebook/linkd.html )
As you can see I also drew a bunch of .xpm icons for emacs to display in the
buffers. I would be happy to contribute these icons and rework that 30 or 40
lines of overlay code back into a nice little org extension.
After a discussion on the #org-mode IRC channel, it seems like there might
be a demand for this. We have at least 2 people who want it. :)

What do people think of icons in org buffers? This could actually reduce
visual noise and increase comprehension. Think of priorities being colored
circles instead of [#A] [#B] [#C]. Or TODO and DONE and CANCELED being
represented by different checkboxy icons.

* Re: pretty icons in org buffers
@ 2009-06-21 17:53 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-06-21 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David O'Toole; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi David,

"David O'Toole" <dto1138@gmail.com> writes:

> What do people think of icons in org buffers? This could actually reduce
> visual noise and increase comprehension. Think of priorities being colored
> circles instead of [#A] [#B] [#C]. Or TODO and DONE and CANCELED being
> represented by different checkboxy icons.

I think I'm not a big fan of mixing text and images, but it's good to
see you back in Org :)

I guess many people don't feel like me and would be happy to try it.
Please let us know.

If you want to send me a screenshot of an org-mode buffer with .xpm
icons, I'd happily add it to the screenshots page here:

  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-screenshots.php

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* pretty icons in org buffers
@ 2009-06-21 19:31 ` Eric S Fraga, Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga, Eric S Fraga @ 2009-06-21 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David O'Toole; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

David O'Toole writes:
> What do people think of icons in org buffers? This could actually reduce

My own bias is less towards icons and more towards text.  Sorry.
Obviously I don't mind at all if others like icons! ;-)

Out of curiousity, does the use of icons require Emacs to be running
in a windowing system?  I often use Emacs directly on the console (via
screen).

eric

* Re: pretty icons in org buffers
@ 2009-06-21 23:15   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-06-21 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e.fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk>, Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk>
writes:

> Out of curiousity, does the use of icons require Emacs to be running
> in a windowing system?

AFAIK it does.

--
 Bastien

* RE: pretty icons in org buffers
@ 2009-06-22 19:25 ` Jonathan Arkell
From: Jonathan Arkell @ 2009-06-22 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Count me in as a Yes.  I think it would not only reduce the visual noise, but it would look slick, and make Org even more fun to work with.

The biggest thing for me though, is that they should degrade gracefully.

[...]

The information contained in this message is confidential. It is intended to be read only by the individual or entity named above or their designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any distribution of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete or destroy any copy of this message.