* Org suggestion: option which allows moving subtrees freely
@ 2009-08-11  9:24 PT
From: PT @ 2009-08-11  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Often I want to move an item or a subtree to an other location
with M-up/down and I get the message "Cannot move past superior
level".

I think there could be an option allowing this behavior. In
practice I found sometimes it would be quicker and easier to move
stuff under a different heading in the same file by simply using
Meta+cursor keys than using the refill interface.

* Re: Org suggestion: option which allows moving subtrees freely
@ 2009-08-11  9:36 ` Scot Becker
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Scot Becker @ 2009-08-11  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PT; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

+1

I always supposed there was some Good Reason (tm) for prohibiting
this, which I hadn't yet understood, so I never asked for it before.
But since PT asked, I'll join in.

Scot

@ 2009-08-11  9:56   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-11  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Becker; +Cc: PT, emacs-orgmode

The good reason is this:

* heading
** A child
*** a grand child

if you try to move the grand child up, the integrity of the
tree is broken because then you have

* heading
*** a grand child
** A child

Even worse if you move a child beyond the first top-level heading.

I do M-left M-up M-right to get past a parent.  When moving down,
M-left M-down M-right will get you to the end of that subtree, but
otherwise it works just fine.

- Carsten

@ 2009-08-11  9:57   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-08-11  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Becker; +Cc: PT, emacs-orgmode

At Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:36:16 +0100,
Scot Becker wrote:

> +1
>
> I always supposed there was some Good Reason (tm) for prohibiting
> this, which I hadn't yet understood, so I never asked for it before.
> But since PT asked, I'll join in.

+1

ditto.  I often find myself doing an arbitrary sequence of M-up,
M-left, M-up, M-right, M-up, with one or more instances of each of
these actions as required, all to move past a higher level heading
/barrier/.

but I can't say I'm all that bothered, especially if there is a Good
Reason why this is not possible!

eric

* Re: Org suggestion: option which allows moving subtrees freely
@ 2009-08-11  9:57   ` Giovanni Lanzani
From: Giovanni Lanzani @ 2009-08-11  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: ulissesroc

> +1
>
> I always supposed there was some Good Reason (tm) for prohibiting
> this, which I hadn't yet understood, so I never asked for it before.
> But since PT asked, I'll join in.
>
> Scot
>

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM, PT<spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Often I want to move an item or a subtree to an other location
>> with M-up/down and I get the message "Cannot move past superior
>> level".
>>
>> I think there could be an option allowing this behavior. In
>> practice I found sometimes it would be quicker and easier to move
>> stuff under a different heading in the same file by simply using
>> Meta+cursor keys than using the refill interface.

+2

Now what I have to do in order to get it is to to M-right and then M-up,
and M-left to accomplish the same results.

Giovanni

* Re: Org suggestion: option which allows moving subtrees freely
@ 2009-08-11 10:12     ` PT
From: PT @ 2009-08-11 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I do M-left M-up M-right to get past a parent.  When moving down,
> M-left M-down M-right will get you to the end of that subtree, but
> otherwise it works just fine.

It seems like something which org could also do if the user sets the option.

If I move the tree up with M-up and it sees I'm at the parent heading then it
could set the header level to the same as the parent's, move the item above the
parent and leave it there, letting me do the rest of the positioning manually.

So it would spare at least an M-left for the user which doesn't seem much, but
small things add up in the long run.

* Re: Org suggestion: option which allows moving subtrees freely
@ 2009-08-11 10:35       ` PT
From: PT @ 2009-08-11 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

PT <spamfilteraccount <at> gmail.com> writes:

> So it would spare at least an M-left for the user which doesn't seem much, but
> small things add up in the long run.

Maybe the M-right part wouldn't be too hard either. If above the
moved up header (which is now at the same level as its previous
parent header after an automatic M-left) there is an other header
on the same level then it could be put under it with an automatic
M-right.

It could spare 2 keypresses which would be a real improvement.

* Re: Org suggestion: option which allows moving subtrees freely
@ 2009-08-11 12:04         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-08-11 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

PT <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> writes:

Hi!

>> So it would spare at least an M-left for the user which doesn't seem
>> much, but small things add up in the long run.
>>

> Maybe the M-right part wouldn't be too hard either. If above the moved
> up header (which is now at the same level as its previous parent
> header after an automatic M-left) there is an other header on the same
> level then it could be put under it with an automatic M-right.
>
> It could spare 2 keypresses which would be a real improvement.

I can't see that this would be a big improvement.  If you want to move
the subtree that far away that the number of keystrokes invoced makes a
difference, then probably you should have used refiling in the first
run.

At least I'm one of those that would accidentially destroy the document
structure with such an automatic reparenting. ;-)

Well, as optional feature I don't have an opinion.  But I think you
could add an around advice to `org-metaup' to get that behavior.  Simply
ad-do-it and catch a possible error.  If there was none, you are ok.  If
there was one, you have to call `org-metaleft' followed by `org-metaup'
again.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Org suggestion: option which allows moving subtrees freely
@ 2009-08-11 12:15 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-08-11 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2009-08-11 10:24 +0100, PT wrote:
> Often I want to move an item or a subtree to an other location
> with M-up/down and I get the message "Cannot move past superior
> level".
>
> I think there could be an option allowing this behavior. In
> practice I found sometimes it would be quicker and easier to move
> stuff under a different heading in the same file by simply using
> Meta+cursor keys than using the refill interface.

I agree with Carsten and Tassilo. I don't see this as an improvement.
C-k and C-y is easy enough to move substrees and it can move them
anywhere.

--
Emacs uptime: 21 hours, 53 minutes, 48 seconds

* Re: Org suggestion: option which allows moving subtrees freely
@ 2009-08-11 13:09   ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-08-11 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2009-08-11 10:24 +0100, PT wrote:
>> Often I want to move an item or a subtree to an other location
>> with M-up/down and I get the message "Cannot move past superior
>> level".
>>
>> I think there could be an option allowing this behavior. In
>> practice I found sometimes it would be quicker and easier to move
>> stuff under a different heading in the same file by simply using
>> Meta+cursor keys than using the refill interface.
>
> I agree with Carsten and Tassilo. I don't see this as an improvement.
> C-k and C-y is easy enough to move substrees and it can move them
> anywhere.

I agree with Leo, Carsten, and Tassilo. When I move a subtree to a
different tree entirely, I use C-k and C-y or refile.

I appreciate that org/outline mode respects the integrity of the outline
tree. Otherwise, IMO, M-up/down could easily wreak havoc with the
structure of the document.

- Matt

* Re: Re: Org suggestion: option which allows moving subtrees freely
@ 2009-08-11 13:24     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-11 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Leo

Thank you all for your input, I am not going to make a change here.

- Carsten

@ 2009-08-11 16:05       ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2009-08-11 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode, Leo

> I appreciate that org/outline mode respects the integrity of the outline
> tree. Otherwise, IMO, M-up/down could easily wreak havoc with the
> structure of the document.

ditto.  See I thought there was a Good Reason.

Scot