* Latex export bugs and a request
@ 2009-03-16 19:16 Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-03-16 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode ml

Hi Carsten,

I have a three minor LaTeX export bugs to report and a request.

1. I a table group begins in the first column of a table, the boundary
is missing in the latex export.

|---+------+----+---------|
| / | <    |    | >       |
|   | Here | is | a table |
|---+------+----+---------|

produces

,----
| \begin{center}
| \begin{tabular}{lll|}
| \hline
|  Here  &  is  &  a table  \\
| \hline
| \end{tabular}
| \end{center}
`----

Note the {lll|} rather than {|lll}.

2. Headlines greater than n when H:n (e.g., level three headlines when H
is set to 2) are exported as description lists.

Is this the intended behavior?

The problem is that the next paragraph (or, worse, the next item in a
list if the headline is followed by a plain list) is folded inside of
the description list.

E.g.,

,----
| \begin{description}
|
| \item[Here is the subsubheading]\label{sec-2.1.1}
|

| \begin{itemize}
| \item And here are some bullet points.
| \item Another bullet point.
| \end{itemize}
| As you can see in the export, this interferes with the itemize.
| \end{description}
`----

Here's the full source file:

#+TITLE: Sample LaTeX export

* Table group bug

When using table groups, the first verticle line on the left is
missing in the latex export.

|---+------+----+---------|
| / | <    |    | >       |
|   | Here | is | a table |
|---+------+----+---------|

* Headline export

Headlines > n for option H:n get exported as descriptions

** Here is the subheading

*** Here is the subsubheading

  - And here are some bullet points.

  - Another bullet point.

As you can see in the export, this interferes with the itemize.

And here's the export file:
,----

| % Created 2009-03-16 Mon 13:58
| \documentclass[11pt]{article}
| \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
| \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
| \usepackage{graphicx}
| \usepackage{charter}
| \frenchspacing
| \usepackage{longtable}
| \usepackage{hyperref}
|

| \title{Sample LaTeX export}
| \author{Matthew Lundin}
| \date{March 16, 2009}
|
| \begin{document}
|
| \maketitle
|

| \section*{Table group bug}
| \label{sec-1}
|

| When using table groups, the first verticle line on the left is
| missing in the latex export.
|

| \begin{center}
| \begin{tabular}{lll|}
| \hline
|  Here  &  is  &  a table  \\
| \hline
| \end{tabular}
| \end{center}
|

| \section*{Headline export}
| \label{sec-2}
|

| Headlines > n for option H:n get exported as descriptions
|
| \subsection*{Here is the subheading}
| \label{sec-2.1}
|

| \begin{description}
|
| \item[Here is the subsubheading]\label{sec-2.1.1}
|

| \begin{itemize}
| \item And here are some bullet points.
| \item Another bullet point.
| \end{itemize}
| As you can see in the export, this interferes with the itemize.
| \end{description}
|
| \end{document}
`----

3. A different issue: html export seems ignores anything inside of
#+begin_latex ... #+end_latex, but the LaTeX exporter does not ignore
the #+begin_html, #+end_html, and #+html directives.

Would it be possible to have the latex exporter ignore markup
designated as html?

4. Finally, a request

Would it be possible to add markup for centered text to org-mode? I've
begun to create documents in org mode for export both to html and LaTeX.
For now, my workaround is to create macros for centered text that I
comment out depend on how the document is to be exported. But it would
be great if there was something like #+begin_center ... #+end_center.

,----
| #+MACRO: begincenter #+latex: \begin{center}
| #+MACRO: endcenter #+latex: \end{center}
| # #+MACRO: begincenter #+html: <div style="text-align: center;">
| # #+MACRO: endcenter #+html: </div>
`----

A related thought (and sorry for the very long email), is there any way
to define these types of macros globally, rather than in-buffer? It
would be really nice to be able to set commonly used macros globally.
Even nicer would be the ability to define macros that are context
sensitive: i.e., one substitution for for LaTeX export, another
substitution for HTML export. This might make it easier to export the
same source file to different outputs. Just a wishlist item....

Thanks,
Matt

* Re: Latex export bugs and a request
@ 2009-03-16 21:16 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-16 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: Org-mode ml

Hi Matt,

On Mar 16, 2009, at 8:16 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> I have a three minor LaTeX export bugs to report and a request.
>
> 1. I a table group begins in the first column of a table, the boundary
> is missing in the latex export.

> |---+------+----+---------|
> | / | <    |    | >       |
> |   | Here | is | a table |
> |---+------+----+---------|
>
> produces
>
> ,----
> | \begin{center}
> | \begin{tabular}{lll|}
> | \hline
> |  Here  &  is  &  a table  \\
> | \hline
> | \end{tabular}
> | \end{center}
> `----
>
> Note the {lll|} rather than {|lll}.

Strange, I am getting {lll}, with no vertical lines on either outside.
Ah, you have org-export-latex-tables-column-borders turned on.
Yes, there was a bug, fixed now.  Thanks!

> 2. Headlines greater than n when H:n (e.g., level three headlines
> when H
> is set to 2) are exported as description lists.
>
> Is this the intended behavior?

This is how Bastien designed it, and it is similar to the HTML way,
turning these into lists.  It works fine if there is any text before
the plain list bullets.

Do you have a better proposal?

> 3. A different issue: html export seems ignores anything inside of
> #+begin_latex ... #+end_latex, but the LaTeX exporter does not ignore
> the #+begin_html, #+end_html, and #+html directives.
>
> Would it be possible to have the latex exporter ignore markup
> designated as html?

I am unable to reproduce this, works fine for me.

> 4. Finally, a request
>
> Would it be possible to add markup for centered text to org-mode? I've
> begun to create documents in org mode for export both to html and
> LaTeX.
> For now, my workaround is to create macros for centered text that I
> comment out depend on how the document is to be exported. But it would
> be great if there was something like #+begin_center ... #+end_center.

OK, we have now #+begin_center

> ,----
> | #+MACRO: begincenter #+latex: \begin{center}
> | #+MACRO: endcenter #+latex: \end{center}
> | # #+MACRO: begincenter #+html: <div style="text-align: center;">
> | # #+MACRO: endcenter #+html: </div>
> `----
>
> A related thought (and sorry for the very long email), is there any
> way
> to define these types of macros globally, rather than in-buffer? It
> would be really nice to be able to set commonly used macros globally.
> Even nicer would be the ability to define macros that are context
> sensitive: i.e., one substitution for for LaTeX export, another
> substitution for HTML export. This might make it easier to export the
> same source file to different outputs. Just a wishlist item....

Yes,  guess we could have global macros, and also macros that expand
depending on exporter type.  I have not though much about it, maybe
you'd like to draw up a syntax?

- Carsten

* Re: Latex export bugs and a request
@ 2009-03-18 16:33   ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-03-18 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-mode ml

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Strange, I am getting {lll}, with no vertical lines on either outside.
> Ah, you have org-export-latex-tables-column-borders turned on.
> Yes, there was a bug, fixed now.  Thanks!

Thanks! Works beautifully now.

>> 2. Headlines greater than n when H:n (e.g., level three headlines
>> when H
>> is set to 2) are exported as description lists.
>>
>> Is this the intended behavior?
>
> This is how Bastien designed it, and it is similar to the HTML way,
> turning these into lists.  It works fine if there is any text before
> the plain list bullets.

When I use a paragraph of text instead of plain list bullets, the
subsequent paragraph becomes the definition of the headline, which
becomes the list label. Is this correct?

> Do you have a better proposal?

I suppose I was expecting the headings to become itemized lists if
num:nil or enumerated lists if num:t. But I realize that's probably not
the most straightforward behavior. I think it's easier for me to use
bullet lists in the org source than to request a change. :)

>> Would it be possible to have the latex exporter ignore markup
>> designated as html?
>
> I am unable to reproduce this, works fine for me.

You are right. I cannot reproduce this. I'm afraid it may have been due
to a typo. Sorry for the false alarm.

> OK, we have now #+begin_center

Again, thanks so much! This works beautifully and I've already used it
in a syllabus.

>> A related thought (and sorry for the very long email), is there any
>> way
>> to define these types of macros globally, rather than in-buffer? It
>> would be really nice to be able to set commonly used macros globally.
>> Even nicer would be the ability to define macros that are context
>> sensitive: i.e., one substitution for for LaTeX export, another
>> substitution for HTML export. This might make it easier to export the
>> same source file to different outputs. Just a wishlist item....
>
> Yes,  guess we could have global macros, and also macros that expand
> depending on exporter type.  I have not though much about it, maybe
> you'd like to draw up a syntax?

Thanks for considering this. I'll do some brainstorming and get back to you.

Best,

@ 2009-03-19 10:04     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-19 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: Org-mode ml

On Mar 18, 2009, at 5:33 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>

>> Strange, I am getting {lll}, with no vertical lines on either
>> outside.
>> Ah, you have org-export-latex-tables-column-borders turned on.
>> Yes, there was a bug, fixed now.  Thanks!
>>

> Thanks! Works beautifully now.
>

>>> 2. Headlines greater than n when H:n (e.g., level three headlines
>>> when H
>>> is set to 2) are exported as description lists.
>>>
>>> Is this the intended behavior?
>>
>> This is how Bastien designed it, and it is similar to the HTML way,
>> turning these into lists.  It works fine if there is any text before
>> the plain list bullets.
>>

> When I use a paragraph of text instead of plain list bullets, the
> subsequent paragraph becomes the definition of the headline, which
> becomes the list label. Is this correct?

I am confused, could you make a detailed example, please?

@ 2009-03-20  2:43       ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-03-20  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-mode ml

Hi Carsten,

>>> This is how Bastien designed it, and it is similar to the HTML way,
>>> turning these into lists.  It works fine if there is any text before
>>> the plain list bullets.
>>>

>> When I use a paragraph of text instead of plain list bullets, the
>> subsequent paragraph becomes the definition of the headline, which
>> becomes the list label. Is this correct?
>
> I am confused, could you make a detailed example, please?

Sorry for being unclear. Take, for instance, the following source file:

* This is the first heading

Here is some text after the first heading.

** This is the second heading

Here is some text after the second heading.

*** This is the third heading

Here is some text after the third heading.

This outputs to tex as follows (preamble excluded):

\section{This is the first heading}
\label{sec-1}

Here is some text after the first heading.

\subsection{This is the second heading}
\label{sec-1.1}

Here is some text after the second heading.

\begin{description}

\item[This is the third heading]\label{sec-1.1.1}

Here is some text after the third heading.
\end{description}

When latex is run, the output looks like this. Note how the text after
the third heading is folded into the same line:

1 This is the first heading

Here is some text after the first heading.

1.1 This is the second heading

@ 2009-03-21 17:21         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-21 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: Org-mode ml

Hi Matthew,

I have worked on this part of the LaTeX exporter.  Among other things,
I now export
these headers as an itemize list by default, parallel to the HTML
exporter.

You can customize org-export-latex-low-levels to specify what exactly
you want, you can get description or enumerate lists as well.

Let me know if the problems now go away.

- Carsten

@ 2009-03-21 18:32         ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-03-21 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: Org-mode ml

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> Hi Carsten,

>>> When I use a paragraph of text instead of plain list bullets, the
>>> subsequent paragraph becomes the definition of the headline, which
>>> becomes the list label. Is this correct?
>>
>> I am confused, could you make a detailed example, please?

I'm a bit chagrined to admit that there is already a variable that does
what I want. So sorry for the false alarm. I set the variable
org-export-latex-low-levels to a string--\subparagraph{%s}--and then
redefined the formatting of the subparagraph macro in the article
preamble org-export-latex-classes. So everything is fine.

I suppose it would be nice to add an itemize possibility to the variable
org-export-latex-low-levels, but by no means urgent. This is a wishlist
item and nothing more....

@ 2009-03-21 20:32           ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-03-21 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-mode ml

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> I have worked on this part of the LaTeX exporter. Among other things,
> I now export these headers as an itemize list by default, parallel to
> the HTML exporter.
>
> You can customize org-export-latex-low-levels to specify what exactly
> you want, you can get description or enumerate lists as well.
>
> Let me know if the problems now go away.

Thanks ever so much. This is a very nice addition.

I saw a small issue in defcustom for org-export-latex-low-levels (see
below).

Best,
Matt

diff --git a/lisp/org-export-latex.el b/lisp/org-export-latex.el
index a09aff6..f852084 100644
--- a/lisp/org-export-latex.el
+++ b/lisp/org-export-latex.el
@@ -227,8 +227,8 @@ the %s stands here for the inserted headline and is mandatory."
   :group 'org-export-latex
   :type '(choice (const :tag "Ignore" nil)
 		 (symbol :tag "Convert as descriptive list" description)
-		 (symbol :tag "Convert as descriptive list" itemize)
-		 (symbol :tag "Convert as descriptive list" enumerate)
+		 (symbol :tag "Convert as itemized list" itemize)
+		 (symbol :tag "Convert as enumerated list" enumerate)
 		 (string :tag "Use a section string" :value "\\subparagraph{%s}")))

 (defcustom org-export-latex-list-parameters

* Re: Latex export bugs and a request
@ 2009-03-22  7:03             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-22  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: Org-mode ml