* Assigning results to variables
@ 2012-03-25  1:39 Neuwirth Erich
From: Neuwirth Erich @ 2012-03-25  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is it possible to assign the results of a babel code block to a variable?
Then the results produce by one language could be transferred as input to a code block in another language.
I studied the documentation and could not find any hint about this.

* Re: Assigning results to variables
@ 2012-03-25  2:09 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-03-25  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neuwirth Erich; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Neuwirth Erich <erich.neuwirth@univie.ac.at> wrote:

> Is it possible to assign the results of a babel code block to a
> variable?  Then the results produce by one language could be
> transferred as input to a code block in another language.  I studied
> the documentation and could not find any hint about this.

Here's a very simple example:

* chaining calculations

#+name: foo
#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
(+ 3 4)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS: foo
: 7

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp :var x=foo
(* x x)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: 49

Nick

* Re: Assigning results to variables
@ 2012-03-25  8:22 ` Erich Neuwirth
From: Erich Neuwirth @ 2012-03-25  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks,
that is exactly what I need.
Perhaps this trick could explicitly mentioned in the documentation.

* Re: Assigning results to variables
@ 2012-03-26 11:42   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-03-26 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erich Neuwirth; +Cc: emacs-orgmode