From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
To: Liang Wang <netcasper@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: start-day is lost in clock report mode and log mode of custom agenda view
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 17:55:22 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Liang,

the reason that this is not working here is that you
are using a block agenda, which in principle can contain
a number of agenda view in a simple buffer.  If could, for
example, contain this weeks agenda, and the agenda of the
same week a year ago - or whatever you want. Since Org
knows little about what might happen in the block, the
command to refresh the current view is simply to call
the entire block agenda again.  You can see this when
looking at the value of the variable org-agenda-redo
command in the agenda buffer.

org-agenda-redo-command is a variable defined in `org-agenda.el'.
Its value is
(org-run-agenda-series "Calendar"
		       '(((agenda ""
				  ((org-agenda-ndays 1)
				   (org-deadline-warning-days 7))))))

Thus there is no memory of the starting day for the agenda list.

If you would not use a block view, but instead a simple agenda list

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
       '(("g" "Calendar"
	 agenda "" ((org-agenda-ndays 1)
		    (org-deadline-warning-days 7)))))

and press "b" to go back in time a few time, you will see that the
redo command is now:

org-agenda-redo-command is a variable defined in `org-agenda.el'.
Its value is
(org-agenda-list 'nil 734100 1)

which does contain a memory of the starting day (the
number 734100).  So in this case Org understands the
command well and is able to reproduce the view correctly.

The reason why this comes into play when switching to
clock report is that the "R" key toggles a flag and
then requilds the entire agenda, this time with
clock report.

Hope this makes it clear and offers a way out.

- Carsten