Hi Mark, On Dec 10, 2009, at 10:49 AM, Mark Elston wrote: > I have been following this discussion with some interest as it may > provide the basis for something I am interested in doing as well. > I hope my discussion doesn't muddy the waters too much... > > Nick Dokos wrote: >> Darlan Cavalcante Moreira wrote: >>> At Thu, 10 Dec 2009 17:09:33 +0100, >>> Carsten Dominik wrote: >>>>> ... >>>> I still don't have any better ideas than this to represent notes >>>> in Org for beamer presentations. Just writing \noe{...} as you >>>> suggest will certainly work - the disadvantage is that this does >>>> not make a lot of sense when exporting to other formats. >>>> >>>> One option would be to turn all those notes into footnotes >>>> for other export..... >>>> >>>> I'd really be interested to get more input on this issue. >>>> >>>> - Carsten >>>> >>> Maybe it is better to simple ignore notes when exporting to other >>> formats. >>> >>> For me notes in beamer are useful only to give me an idea of what >>> I intend to >>> talk about in the presentation and help me training for the >>> presentation. They >>> are not really "part of the final exported document" and sometimes >>> I put a lot >>> of information in them (possible in a different language from the >>> presentation). >>> >>> Also, the contents in notes can be anything such as a table or a >>> figure. This >>> obviously would result in an error if or if org tried to put them >>> into a >>> footnote when exporting to other formats. >>> >>> Therefore, the question is has anyone here any interest in notes >>> when exporting >>> to other formats or do they only make sense when exporting to >>> beamer? >>> > > My case is similar. I teach a class each week and, so far, have > created > two documents; a set of handouts and my notes for teaching. Generally > these documents start from the same original and I modify and expand > the > notes I use for teaching while leaving the handouts a smaller doc for > those in the class to take their own notes from. > > I don't use beamer as the handouts tend to be 6-8 pages of 'normal' > text > as it is and my teaching notes are usually far larger. I don't want > to > manipulate a stack of paper while teaching. > >> For me, notes are rather important: in addition to reminding me >> what to >> say, they are essentially a second level to the presentation (and I >> always include them in any handouts). Somebody who has a vague >> interest >> in the subject can look at the slides. If they want to go into it a >> bit >> deeper, they can look at the notes. > > My case is similar but I don't 'expose' my teaching notes to the > students for a variety of reasons. > >> ... >> So unless somebody comes up with a really good idea, delaying any >> org-specific implementation might be the best way forward: it would >> save >> wear-and-tear on Carsten, allow the rest of us to catch up and gather >> some experience and perhaps come up with better ideas on how to >> handle >> this. >> Nick > > I guess my request is similar to what has been discussed above in > that I > would *very* much like to maintain handouts and teaching material in > the > same file and then export it to two different files as necessary. > This > would make my job a lot easier to manage. I could decide which > tables, > figures, text, etc are common to both docs and which are just for me > and > everything happens automatically behind the scenes. > > Beamer output is not critical for me (or even necessarily desired) > right > now but I would like a way of marking some text for 'limited' export. > Using a special notation is not a problem if it gives me the ability > to > maintain a single document that I can export to two different LaTeX/ > PDF > docs. > > Mark I use Org-babel to accomplish this. Its literate programming facility lets you define a block of text and re-use it wherever you like. You can "tangle" as many .tex files as you want from a single Org-mode document. You can find some examples here: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/org-babel-uses.php HTH, Tom