* Bug: Org Table: Field formulas with hline-address on right-hand side don't work anymore [7.8.09]
@ 2012-05-07  8:46 Tobias Nähring
From: Tobias Nähring @ 2012-05-07  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, GTK+ Version 2.24.8)

of 2012-01-29 on fiona

Package: Org-mode version 7.8.09

This bug concerns org-tables.

Field formulas with hline-address on right-hand side don't work anymore.

See the formula below the next table.

There, the address on the right-hand side is @II$1.

The result in @3$1 should be 3.

Nevertheless, re-calculation delivers nothing. The entry of @3$1 remains on the old value (whatever was entered before).

If one replaces "@II$1" with "@3$1" within the formula one gets the right result.

|---|

| 1 |

| 2 |

|---|

| 0 |

#+TBLFM: @II$1=vsum(@I$1..@II$1)

I already tried to turn on "Debug Formulas" but this did not help. This gave just no change in the reaction of the re-calculate command.

Note, that on the other hand the formula below the next table works. As expected, the 1 in field @1$1 is replaced with the 3 from field @II$1.

|---|

| 1 |

| 2 |

|---|

| 3 |

#+TBLFM: @1$1=@II$1

Pityingly, I can't easily reproduce the former version of orgmode where this

worked. (I installed over the former version without backup. I should not have done this.)

Please, inform me if this version number is really important for

the bug-fix. Maybe, I find the time to put more effort in this. I.e., install former version until I get one where the field formulas work.

A fast fix would be great since I need the hline-references in field formulas very much (large variable number of columns in tables, calculate maximum norm of column sections and stuff like that...,). I have old org-files where I need to re-calculate stuff like that.

current state:

==============

(setq

org-export-latex-after-initial-vars-hook '(org-beamer-after-initial-vars)

org-speed-command-hook '(org-speed-command-default-hook org-babel-speed-command-hook)

org-metaup-hook '(org-babel-load-in-session-maybe)

org-after-todo-state-change-hook '(org-clock-out-if-current)

org-export-latex-format-toc-function 'org-export-latex-format-toc-default

org-tab-first-hook '(org-hide-block-toggle-maybe org-src-native-tab-command-maybe

                                     org-babel-hide-result-toggle-maybe)

org-src-mode-hook '(org-src-babel-configure-edit-buffer

                                    org-src-mode-configure-edit-buffer)

org-confirm-shell-link-function 'y-or-n-p

org-export-first-hook '(org-beamer-initialize-open-trackers)

org-agenda-before-write-hook '(org-agenda-add-entry-text)

org-babel-pre-tangle-hook '(save-buffer)

org-cycle-hook '(org-cycle-hide-archived-subtrees org-cycle-hide-drawers

                                 org-cycle-show-empty-lines

                                 org-optimize-window-after-visibility-change)

org-descriptive-links nil

org-export-preprocess-before-normalizing-links-hook '(org-remove-file-link-modifiers)

org-mode-hook '((lambda nil

                                 (org-defkey org-mouse-map [mouse-3] (quote org-mouse-3-menu))

                                 (setq pcomplete-default-completion-function

                                  (quote (lambda nil (hippie-expand nil))))

                                 )

                               #[nil "\300\301\302\303\304$\207"

                                  [org-add-hook change-major-mode-hook org-show-block-all append

                                   local]

                                  5]

                               #[nil "\300\301\302\303\304$\207"

                                  [org-add-hook change-major-mode-hook org-babel-show-result-all

                                   append local]

                                  5]

                               org-babel-result-hide-spec org-babel-hide-all-hashes)

org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-hook '(org-babel-hash-at-point org-babel-execute-safely-maybe)

org-confirm-elisp-link-function 'yes-or-no-p

org-export-interblocks '((src org-babel-exp-non-block-elements))

org-clock-out-hook '(org-clock-remove-empty-clock-drawer)

org-occur-hook '(org-first-headline-recenter)

org-from-is-user-regexp "\\<U-ITIHQ\\\\Tobias\\.Naehring\\>"

org-export-preprocess-before-selecting-backend-code-hook '(org-beamer-select-beamer-code)

org-export-latex-final-hook '(org-beamer-amend-header org-beamer-fix-toc

                                                      org-beamer-auto-fragile-frames

                                                      org-beamer-place-default-actions-for-lists)

org-metadown-hook '(org-babel-pop-to-session-maybe)

org-export-blocks '((src org-babel-exp-src-block nil)

                                    (export-comment org-export-blocks-format-comment t)

                                    (ditaa org-export-blocks-format-ditaa nil)

                                    (dot org-export-blocks-format-dot nil))

)

Best regards

Tobias Nähring
Engineering / Software Development
--
_________________________________

ITI News & Events
New Version: SimulationX 3.5 <http://www.itisim.com/simulationx/system-simulation/current-version/simulationx-35/>
SimulationX Info Day Stuttgart, 21 May <http://www.iti.de/aktuelles/events/839-21052012-simulationx-informationstag-stuttgart/>
VDI Congress "Drivetrain for Vehicles", 19-20 June <http://www.itisim.com/events/858-19th-20th-june-2012-getriebe-in-fahrzeugen/>

www.itisim.com <http://www.itisim.com>

ITI GmbH
Webergasse 1
01067 Dresden Germany
T +49 (351) 26050 124
F +49 (351) 26050 155
Naehring@itisim.com <mailto:Naehring@itisim.com>

Managing Director/Geschäftsführer
Jens O. Schindler · Dr. Andreas Uhlig

Commercial Register/Handelsregister
Amtsgericht Dresden · HRB 2331
USt.-IdNr.: DE140297717

Diese E-Mail ist streng vertraulich und nur für den
Empfänger bestimmt. Sie kann Informationen
enthalten, die rechtliche, geschäftliche oder andere
Vergünstigungen bedeuten.
Sollten Sie nicht der ausdrückliche Empfänger
sein, dürfen Sie diese Informationen nicht benutzen,
veröffentlichen oder vervielfältigen.

The information in this e-mail is strictly confidential, is intended
solely for the addressee, and may be privileged. If you are not the
intended addressee you must not disclose, print or take action
based upon this transmission and should delete it from
your system.

[-- Attachment #2: image001.gif --]
[-- Type: image/gif, Size: 11535 bytes --]

* Bug: Org Table: Field formulas with hline-address on right-hand side don't work anymore [7.8.09]
@ 2012-05-08  6:55 "Tobias Nähring"
From: "Tobias Nähring" @ 2012-05-08  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[...]

* Re: Bug: Org Table: Field formulas with hline-address on right-hand side don't work anymore [7.8.09]
@ 2012-05-08 17:15 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-05-08 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Tobias Nähring writes:
> This bug concerns org-tables.

Posting the same bug report multiple times isn't going to magically
speed up its resolution.

> Field formulas with hline-address on right-hand side don't work
> anymore.

It seems to me that it's rather the left-hand address that is the
problem.  Also, it is an initialization problem: once the calc machinery
has worked once, that very same formula you give works just as it should
until you leave the table and try again.  Beyond that, I don't think I
know enough about the innards of org-table to help.

> Pityingly, I can't easily reproduce the former version of orgmode
> where this worked. (I installed over the former version without
> backup. I should not have done this.)

If you install from Git you can install any version desired.

> A fast fix would be great since I need the hline-references in field
> formulas very much (large variable number of columns in tables,
> calculate maximum norm of column sections and stuff like that…,). I
> have old org-files where I need to re-calculate stuff like that.

You might consider one of these workarounds:

|---|
| 1 |
| 2 |
|---|
| 3 |
#+TBLFM: @>$1=vsum(@I$1..@II$1)

|---|
| 1 |
| 2 |
|---|
| 3 |
#+TBLFM: @II=vsum(@I$1..@II$1)

Regards
Achim.

* Re: Bug: Org Table: Field formulas with hline-address on right-hand side don't work anymore [7.8.09]
@ 2012-05-09  5:46   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-05-09  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Interestingly, this seems to have been broken ever since org-table got
split into its own file; i.e. the only working versions I could find are
5.x ones and the first broken version is fe939ecb95, which splits org.el
into more files and moves them into /lisp.  Since I don't think that
code inside the functions was altered during that split, this smacks of
a missing defvar or autoload in either org-table or org.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: Bug: Org Table: Field formulas with hline-address on right-hand side don't work anymore [7.8.09]
@ 2012-05-10  7:15     ` Tobias
From: Tobias @ 2012-05-10  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

First I have to apologize for posting the bug report twice. The first report has
been sent from my company. I thought that this bug-report does not make it to
the list because the e-mail address at my company is not subscribed to the list.
Therefore, I subscribed with my private e-mail address and sent the bug report
once more.

Now, some digging about the bug. I have investigated org-table-recalculate and
the functions called therein.

The only place where @II is handled correctly is:
org-table-get-descriptor-line
This function is only called within:
org-table-get-range
This function is called at the end of:
org-table-expand-lhs-ranges
But at the beginning of this function the cond condition
(string-match "^@-?[-+I0-9]+\\$-?[0-9]+$" lhs)
already filteres out this case. The field descriptor is not regarded as a range
but as a fixed field.
I changed
(string-match "^@-?[-+I0-9]+\\$-?[0-9]+$" lhs)
into
(string-match "^@-?[-+0-9]+\\$-?[0-9]+$" lhs)
without the I in the first character set. This seems to fix the bug. But I am
not sure about the side effects.

@ 2012-05-10 10:04     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2012-05-10 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 9.5.2012, at 07:46, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Interestingly, this seems to have been broken ever since org-table got
> split into its own file; i.e. the only working versions I could find are
> 5.x ones and the first broken version is fe939ecb95, which splits org.el
> into more files and moves them into /lisp.  Since I don't think that
> code inside the functions was altered during that split, this smacks of
> a missing defvar or autoload in either org-table or org.

Hello Achim and Tobias,

I cannot even find a 5.x version where this worked.  In fact, hline
expressions were never allowed for the LHS of a formula, and I believe
they never worked in this way.

I also do not see a compelling reason to make them work.

Regards

- Carsten

@ 2012-05-10 10:19       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2012-05-10 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 10.5.2012, at 09:15, Tobias wrote:

> First I have to apologize for posting the bug report twice. The first report has
> been sent from my company. I thought that this bug-report does not make it to
> the list because the e-mail address at my company is not subscribed to the list.
> Therefore, I subscribed with my private e-mail address and sent the bug report
> once more.
>
> Now, some digging about the bug. I have investigated org-table-recalculate and
> the functions called therein.
>
> The only place where @II is handled correctly is:
> org-table-get-descriptor-line
> This function is only called within:
> org-table-get-range
> This function is called at the end of:
> org-table-expand-lhs-ranges
> But at the beginning of this function the cond condition
> (string-match "^@-?[-+I0-9]+\\$-?[0-9]+$" lhs)
> already filteres out this case. The field descriptor is not regarded as a range
> but as a fixed field.
> I changed
> (string-match "^@-?[-+I0-9]+\\$-?[0-9]+$" lhs)
> into
> (string-match "^@-?[-+0-9]+\\$-?[0-9]+$" lhs)
> without the I in the first character set. This seems to fix the bug. But I am
> not sure about the side effects.

On the other hand (referring to my message in this thread just a few minutes ago) this analysis here is correct and making the change Tobias is proposing probably would work without side effects.

So I step back from my earlier post and I applied the change Tobias was proposing.

- Carsten

* Re: Bug: Org Table: Field formulas with hline-address on right-hand side don't work anymore [7.8.09]
@ 2012-05-10 17:50       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-05-10 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik writes:
> I cannot even find a 5.x version where this worked.

It does work, but you have to be very careful not to pick up another org
or org-install at all (i.e. you'll never get it to work with Emacs23
unless you forcefully remove org and all its autoloads from the Emacs
install).  But further investigation with the debugger then shows that
the reason why it works is a bug when matching the lhs (or so I think,
it is very hard to understand why it choses that code path) that then
leads to the formula being recognized as a "numbered" equation; in other
words the part "@II$" is completely ignored.  Why this then breaks after
org-table.el moved into a separate file is another mystery, but
fortunately it doesn't have to be solved... :-)

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: Bug: Org Table: Field formulas with hline-address on right-hand side don't work anymore [7.8.09]
@ 2012-05-10 18:57         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2012-05-10 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 10.5.2012, at 19:50, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Carsten Dominik writes:
>> I cannot even find a 5.x version where this worked.
>
> It does work, but you have to be very careful not to pick up another org
> or org-install at all (i.e. you'll never get it to work with Emacs23
> unless you forcefully remove org and all its autoloads from the Emacs
> install).  But further investigation with the debugger then shows that
> the reason why it works is a bug when matching the lhs (or so I think,
> it is very hard to understand why it choses that code path) that then
> leads to the formula being recognized as a "numbered" equation; in other
> words the part "@II$" is completely ignored.  Why this then breaks after
> org-table.el moved into a separate file is another mystery, but
> fortunately it doesn't have to be solved... :-)

My mother has this quote in her kitchen:
Next to the honorable art to get things done, there is the honorable are to leave things undone (bad translation, but you get the idea….

Thanks!

- Carsten

@ 2012-05-10 19:32           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-05-10 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik writes:
> My mother has this quote in her kitchen: Next to the honorable art to
> get things done, there is the honorable are to leave things undone
> (bad translation, but you get the idea….

Our master in vocational training had the bottom drawer in his desk
labeled "Self-Completion" (with a polished and engraved brass plate, no
less).  Once a year he'd sift through all the files and circular letters
he had put there and indeed, there was nothing left to do except for
dropping them into the paper bin.  :-)

Regards,
Achim.