* Emacs23 on Ubuntu recognizes 'remember', not 'capture'
@ 2012-07-17 13:32 Rian Murphy
From: Rian Murphy @ 2012-07-17 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,
I am using emacs 23 on an Ubuntu server. I also use emacs 22 on a Macbook pro.
On the Macbook, I set up my .emacs file to use orgmode and defined several
capture templates. They work fine on the Macbook.

So I set up the .emacs file in the Ubuntu environment to start up org mode, and
copied my capture templates over. When I tried to do a capture, however, emacs
(on Ubuntu) didn't recognize 'org-capture'. The only way I could get it to work
is to change all the'capture' references in .emcas to 'remember', and
redo the templates using the remember syntax.

I'd prefer to use capture on my Ubuntu installation. I searched the gmane
archives and didn't find any clues.

Would I have to somehow uninstall emacs 23 and install emacs 22?
Any other ideas?  Thanks, R. Murphy

* Re: Emacs23 on Ubuntu recognizes 'remember', not 'capture'
@ 2012-07-17 14:04 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
> I am using emacs 23 on an Ubuntu server. I also use emacs 22 on a Macbook pro.
> On the Macbook, I set up my .emacs file to use orgmode and defined several
> capture templates. They work fine on the Macbook.

> So I set up the .emacs file in the Ubuntu environment to start up org mode, and
> copied my capture templates over. When I tried to do a capture, however, emacs
> (on Ubuntu) didn't recognize 'org-capture'. The only way I could get it to work
> is to change all the'capture' references in .emcas to 'remember', and
> redo the templates using the remember syntax.

> I'd prefer to use capture on my Ubuntu installation. I searched the gmane
> archives and didn't find any clues.

Pelase, do
M-x emacs-version
and
M-x org-version

in both systems; then if version is < than 6.36, you should not have capture, but only remember
[[info:org#Capture]]

> Would I have to somehow uninstall emacs 23 and install emacs 22?
> Any other ideas?
- Wouldn't be possible for you to Install emacs 24?
- yopu can also try to download and install latest org (see org website)

cheers,
Giovanni

* Re: Emacs23 on Ubuntu recognizes 'remember', not 'capture'
@ 2012-07-17 14:53   ` Rian Murphy
From: Rian Murphy @ 2012-07-17 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi <at> yahoo.it> writes:
> > I'd prefer to use capture on my Ubuntu installation. I searched the gmane
> > archives and didn't find any clues.
>
> Pelase, do
> M-x emacs-version
> and
> M-x org-version
>
> in both systems; then if version is < than 6.36, you should not have
capture, but only remember
> [[info:org#Capture]]

Giovanni,
Thank you very much for your quick reply.
Sure enough, I had version 6.21b of org on my Ubuntu installation.

Per your advice, I tried upgrading to Emacs 24. Apparently, 24 isn't
readily available for Ubuntu, but I got Damien Cassou's latest snapshot
following the instrucitons
in http://www.mikeyboldt.com/2011/11/30/install-emacs-24-in-ubuntu/.
It upgraded Emacs to 23.1.50.1 and org to 6.30c.
I guess I will have to live with 'remember' for a while.

But thanks a lot for your help.  R.M.

* Re: Emacs23 on Ubuntu recognizes 'remember', not 'capture'
@ 2012-07-17 15:29     ` Christopher Witte
From: Christopher Witte @ 2012-07-17 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rian Murphy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 17 July 2012 16:53, Rian Murphy <rianmurphy@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi <at> yahoo.it> writes:
>> > I'd prefer to use capture on my Ubuntu installation. I searched the gmane
>> > archives and didn't find any clues.
>>
>> Pelase, do
>> M-x emacs-version
>> and
>> M-x org-version
>>
>> in both systems; then if version is < than 6.36, you should not have
> capture, but only remember
>> [[info:org#Capture]]

> Giovanni,
> Thank you very much for your quick reply.
> Sure enough, I had version 6.21b of org on my Ubuntu installation.
>
> Per your advice, I tried upgrading to Emacs 24. Apparently, 24 isn't
> readily available for Ubuntu, but I got Damien Cassou's latest snapshot
> following the instrucitons
> in http://www.mikeyboldt.com/2011/11/30/install-emacs-24-in-ubuntu/.
> It upgraded Emacs to 23.1.50.1 and org to 6.30c.
> I guess I will have to live with 'remember' for a while.
>
> But thanks a lot for your help.  R.M.

Upgrading org is easy and there are instructions in the FAQ,
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#updating-org

Chris.

* Re: Emacs23 on Ubuntu recognizes 'remember', not 'capture'
@ 2012-07-17 16:10       ` Rian Murphy
                           ` (3 more replies)
From: Rian Murphy @ 2012-07-17 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christopher Witte <chris <at> witte.net.au> writes:

> Upgrading org is easy and there are instructions in the FAQ,
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#updating-org
>
> Chris.

Chris, thanks for your help. I should have looked in the org-mode
FAQ to start with -- I apologize.
Oddly, however, when I do a 'git pull' and a 'make up2', then restart
emacs, 'org-version' still tells me I have version 6.30c.
'emacs-version' still says 23.1.50.1.
Maybe it's a Ubuntu thing....       Thanks again, R.M.

* Re: Emacs23 on Ubuntu recognizes 'remember', not 'capture'
@ 2012-07-17 16:28         ` Christopher Witte
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Christopher Witte @ 2012-07-17 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rian Murphy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 17 July 2012 18:10, Rian Murphy <rianmurphy@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Christopher Witte <chris <at> witte.net.au> writes:

>> Upgrading org is easy and there are instructions in the FAQ,
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#updating-org
>>
>> Chris.
>>

> Chris, thanks for your help. I should have looked in the org-mode
> FAQ to start with -- I apologize.
> Oddly, however, when I do a 'git pull' and a 'make up2', then restart
> emacs, 'org-version' still tells me I have version 6.30c.
> 'emacs-version' still says 23.1.50.1.
> Maybe it's a Ubuntu thing....       Thanks again, R.M.

I don't think it's an Ubuntu thing, I keep up to date with the git
repo under Ubuntu.  Did you run 'make install'?  You might need to run
'sudo make install'.  You should also be able to refresh org without
restarting emacs, I can't remember what the command is though.

* Re: Emacs23 on Ubuntu recognizes 'remember', not 'capture'
@ 2012-07-17 16:38         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-07-17 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rian Murphy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rian Murphy <rianmurphy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Christopher Witte <chris <at> witte.net.au> writes:

> > Upgrading org is easy and there are instructions in the FAQ,
> > http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#updating-org
> >
> > Chris.
> >

> Chris, thanks for your help. I should have looked in the org-mode
> FAQ to start with -- I apologize.
> Oddly, however, when I do a 'git pull' and a 'make up2', then restart
> emacs, 'org-version' still tells me I have version 6.30c.
> 'emacs-version' still says 23.1.50.1.
> Maybe it's a Ubuntu thing....       Thanks again, R.M.

You probably don't have the installation directory in your load-path.
Check with C-h v load-path RET.

In my case, make up2 installed into

    /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org

(afaik, that's the case with default values of ``prefix'' and ``DESTDIR'':
the first one is "/usr/share" and the second is undefined in the default configuration).
If that's the case with you as well, then you'd have to say

(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org")

before

(require 'org-install)

Nick

* Re: Emacs23 on Ubuntu recognizes 'remember', not 'capture'
@ 2012-07-17 16:42         ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-07-17 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rian Murphy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Rian Murphy <rianmurphy@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Christopher Witte <chris <at> witte.net.au> writes:

>> Upgrading org is easy and there are instructions in the FAQ,
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#updating-org
>>
>> Chris.
>>

> Chris, thanks for your help. I should have looked in the org-mode
> FAQ to start with -- I apologize.
> Oddly, however, when I do a 'git pull' and a 'make up2', then restart
> emacs, 'org-version' still tells me I have version 6.30c.
> 'emacs-version' still says 23.1.50.1.
> Maybe it's a Ubuntu thing....       Thanks again, R.M.

I've not used `make up2`, so I can't comment on how that's working. It
might help if you clearly listed the specific steps you used to get
orgmode from git. My process, for example, is:

- cd ~/.elisp
- git clone http://orgmode.org/org-mode.git org.git
- cd org.git
- make clean && make && make doc

I don't `make install`. You'll need to tell emacs where to run org
from via your .emacs. Mine has this line:

,---
| (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/lisp")
`---

Lastly, someone suggested I run this when I was having trouble getting
org setup on my Mac with an out of date version despite having done
the git thing:

,---
| M-x locate-library <RET> org <RET>
`---

This will show you what path emacs *thinks* org is at, despite where
you think it *should* be looking.

ETA: I see some other emails came in. And yes, per Nick, make sure you
set the load path *before* requiring org! I made that mistake once --
quite frustrating :)

Good luck!
John

* Re: Emacs23 on Ubuntu recognizes 'remember', not 'capture'
@ 2012-07-17 16:48           ` Rian Murphy
From: Rian Murphy @ 2012-07-17 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christopher Witte <chris <at> witte.net.au> writes:

> > Chris, thanks for your help. I should have looked in the org-mode
> > FAQ to start with -- I apologize.
> > Oddly, however, when I do a 'git pull' and a 'make up2', then restart
> > emacs, 'org-version' still tells me I have version 6.30c.
> > 'emacs-version' still says 23.1.50.1.
> > Maybe it's a Ubuntu thing....       Thanks again, R.M.
> >

> I don't think it's an Ubuntu thing, I keep up to date with the git
> repo under Ubuntu.  Did you run 'make install'?  You might need to run
> 'sudo make install'.  You should also be able to refresh org without
> restarting emacs, I can't remember what the command is though.

Fixed it. I had 'setq load-path cons' entries in my .emacs pointing
to the wrong directories. I changed these, now it works beautifully.
It's always those details that elude me.... Thanks for staying with me
on this.  R.M.

* Re: Emacs23 on Ubuntu recognizes 'remember', not 'capture'
@ 2012-07-17 16:51           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-07-17 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Rian Murphy, emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Rian Murphy <rianmurphy@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Christopher Witte <chris <at> witte.net.au> writes:

> >> Upgrading org is easy and there are instructions in the FAQ,
> >> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#updating-org
> >>
> >> Chris.
> >>

> > Chris, thanks for your help. I should have looked in the org-mode
> > FAQ to start with -- I apologize.
> > Oddly, however, when I do a 'git pull' and a 'make up2', then restart
> > emacs, 'org-version' still tells me I have version 6.30c.
> > 'emacs-version' still says 23.1.50.1.
> > Maybe it's a Ubuntu thing....       Thanks again, R.M.
>
> I've not used `make up2`, so I can't comment on how that's working. It
> might help if you clearly listed the specific steps you used to get
> orgmode from git.

The Makefile in the main org directory pulls in targets.mk and in there
you will find:

,----
| up0 up1 up2::
| 	git remote update
| 	git pull
| up1 up2::	all
| 	$(MAKE) test-dirty
| up2 update2::
| 	$(SUDO) $(MAKE) install
`----

so ``make up2'' does the ``git pull'', runs the test suite and then runs
``make install'' (default.mk even sets SUDO, so the make install is run with
superuser privileges :-) ).

Nick

* Re: Emacs23 on Ubuntu recognizes 'remember', not 'capture'
@ 2012-07-17 17:48           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-07-17 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos writes:
> In my case, make up2 installed into
>
>     /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org

You can always check what make thinks it should do via

make config

or even

make config-all

> (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org")

That is not necessary, at least if subdirs.el already exists in
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp (Ubuntu should have it, but certain versions
of Debian apparently don't - but you can copy the version from the Emacs
installation).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Emacs23 on Ubuntu recognizes 'remember', not 'capture'
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-07-17 19:49         ` Rian Murphy
From: Rian Murphy @ 2012-07-17 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rian Murphy <rianmurphy <at> yahoo.com> writes:

Thanks everybody for your help with this problem.
I am new to emacs and org-mode, and so a little tentative, but
the support I got from this group is encouraging me to go
further.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time until org-mode gets me
completely organized. Then the trouble will really start.

Thanks again, Rian Murphy

* Re: Emacs23 on Ubuntu recognizes 'remember', not 'capture'
@ 2012-07-31 16:40 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-07-31 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rian Murphy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rian,

Rian Murphy <rianmurphy@yahoo.com> writes:

> Would I have to somehow uninstall emacs 23 and install emacs 22?
> Any other ideas?

My simple suggestion is to install GNU Emacs 24.1 in all your computers.

It contains a more recent Org (> 7.8), which lets you use `org-capture'
everywhere.

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Emacs23 on Ubuntu recognizes 'remember', not 'capture'
@ 2012-07-31 23:37   ` Olaf Meeuwissen
From: Olaf Meeuwissen @ 2012-07-31 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Rian Murphy, emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Rian,
>
> Rian Murphy <rianmurphy@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Would I have to somehow uninstall emacs 23 and install emacs 22?
>> Any other ideas?
>
> My simple suggestion is to install GNU Emacs 24.1 in all your computers.

Or install Ubuntu's separately packaged org-mode package.  The emacs23
package on Ubuntu and Debian ships with the bundled org-mode version
(6.33, IIRC).  The org-mode package is significantly newer, 7.x.  The
only glitch I've encountered is with accessing the info pages, but you
can work around that by modifying Info-directory-list.

> It contains a more recent Org (> 7.8), which lets you use `org-capture'
> everywhere.

The org-mode package supports org-capture just fine.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962

* Re: Emacs23 on Ubuntu recognizes 'remember', not 'capture'
@ 2012-08-01 17:19     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-08-01 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Olaf Meeuwissen writes:
> Or install Ubuntu's separately packaged org-mode package.  The emacs23
> package on Ubuntu and Debian ships with the bundled org-mode version
> (6.33, IIRC).  The org-mode package is significantly newer, 7.x.  The
> only glitch I've encountered is with accessing the info pages, but you
> can work around that by modifying Info-directory-list.

This would suggest a packaging error that should be reported to and
fixed by the Ubuntu folks...  there's no excuse for the package
installation not updating the info dir or site-lisp script so it becomes
available automatically.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: Emacs23 on Ubuntu recognizes 'remember', not 'capture'
@ 2012-08-01 23:45       ` Olaf Meeuwissen
From: Olaf Meeuwissen @ 2012-08-01 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Olaf Meeuwissen writes:
>> Or install Ubuntu's separately packaged org-mode package.  The emacs23
>> package on Ubuntu and Debian ships with the bundled org-mode version
>> (6.33, IIRC).  The org-mode package is significantly newer, 7.x.  The
>> only glitch I've encountered is with accessing the info pages, but you
>> can work around that by modifying Info-directory-list.
>
> This would suggest a packaging error that should be reported to and
> fixed by the Ubuntu folks...  there's no excuse for the package
> installation not updating the info dir or site-lisp script so it becomes
> available automatically.

I just double checked on two amd64 machines running Debian wheezy.  Both
were last upgraded on [2012-07-31 Tue].  Both machines have the same
emacs-version (23.4.1) and org-version (7.8.11).  Both machines have the
same value for Info-directory-list and Info-default-directory-list.

Yet, on one I get the info pages for org-mode 6.33x and on the other for
7.8.11.  The latter machine was freshly installed 2012-07-19, the former
2010-12-30 (and has seen more or less biweekly upgrades ever since).
Neither machine's .emacs file tweaks any of the info functionality that
I'm aware of.

So, I'm not sure that this is (still) an issue with Debian's org-mode
package.  At least on a recent wheezy installation it does not show.  I
don't have access to an Ubuntu 12.04 (pangolin) machine right now but
maybe I can check tonight.