* category in column view?
@ 2008-10-16 20:23 George Pearson
From: George Pearson @ 2008-10-16 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there a way to display a category column in column view?

I tried org-customize to add %CATEGORY to the front of the
org-columns-default-format variable and saved it for current and future
sessions.  However, when I requested a column view in the weekly agenda,
there was no additional column (nor was there any error message).

* Re: category in column view?
@ 2008-10-17 13:47 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-17 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Pearson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 16, 2008, at 10:23 PM, George Pearson wrote:

> Is there a way to display a category column in column view?
>
> I tried org-customize to add %CATEGORY to the front of the
> org-columns-default-format variable and saved it for current and
> future
> sessions.  However, when I requested a column view in the weekly
> agenda,
> there was no additional column (nor was there any error message).

No, there is not, but in the agenda, the category is always shown.  Or
are you talking about column view in a buffer, this time around?

- Carsten

* Re: category in column view?
@ 2008-10-17 14:31   ` George Pearson
From: George Pearson @ 2008-10-17 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 17 Oct 2008 at 15:47, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Oct 16, 2008, at 10:23 PM, George Pearson wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to display a category column in column view?

> No, there is not, but in the agenda, the category is always shown.  Or
> are you talking about column view in a buffer, this time around?

I'm talking about the column view obtained from the weekly agenda.
(i.e. do C-c a a, and then C-c C-x C-c in the resulting agenda buffer).

I like that the category is in the weekly agenda, and would like it to
appear in the column view as well.  The reason for this is that I am
using categories as Project titles, to provide context for TODO items.
For example, I could have a category "Trip plan" with a TODO item
"review costs".  Without the "Trip plan" category, "review costs" is
meaningless as it could be applicable to almost anything.

I forgot whose tutorial gave me this category-use idea, but it seemed
to be a good idea at the time.  Of course, org-mode is so powerful there
may be other ways of achieving the same goal.

* Re: category in column view?
@ 2008-10-20  6:08     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-20  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Pearson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi George,

you can now use a %CATEGORY field in column view.

- Carsten