* Lists made stronger: lists within lists
@ 2010-12-12 17:35 Nicolas Goaziou
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2010-12-12 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

As I had promised it here a few days ago, I just pushed a testing
branch allowing to have lists in blocks, drawers and inline tasks.
These constructs can themselves be located in lists.

Basically, lists are allowed in every block but "src", "example" and
"verse". Inline tasks will not end lists, even though they start at
column 0. Exporters should understand quite intricate situations. Here
is an example of this:

-----
* Let's stress-test lists

  - a list

    1. Sub-item with both example and quote blocks
       #+begin_example
       + here is a false list
       #+end_example

       #+begin_quote
       1. followed by a real list
       2. of two items
          1. and a sub-item

       And some other text afterwards.
       #+end_quote

    2. Sub-item with src block
       #+begin_src emacs-lisp
       (message "Am I appearing?")
       #+end_src

    3. Sub-item with a drawer
       :LOGBOOK:
       * One
         * One dot one
         * One dot two
       :END:

  - and now some centering

    #+begin_center
    1. One
    2. Two
    #+end_center

  The end.
-----

This is not a trivial patch, so it needs careful testing (and maybe
some re-factoring). The branch can be found at:

  git://github.com/ngz/org-mode-lists.git recursive-lists

I still think inline tasks shouldn't be included in lists, but for
now, let's see it as a proof of concept. I can always remove it later
if it is "too much". The same idea applies to this whole patch: if it
is not really needed, it will not reach master branch.

Regards,

-- Nicolas

* Re: Lists made stronger: lists within lists
@ 2010-12-13  5:28 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2010-12-13  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Can't try it, but it looks great.  I still like the idea of inline
tasks instead of making lists more like headlines.

--
Q: How many CDC "scientists" does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: "You only think it's dark." [CDC has denied a deadly serious

* Re: Lists made stronger: lists within lists
@ 2010-12-13  7:49 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2010-12-13  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nicolas,

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As I had promised it here a few days ago, I just pushed a testing
> branch allowing to have lists in blocks, drawers and inline tasks.
> These constructs can themselves be located in lists.
>
> Basically, lists are allowed in every block but "src", "example" and
> "verse". Inline tasks will not end lists, even though they start at
> column 0. Exporters should understand quite intricate situations. Here
> is an example of this:

I have started trying it. So far looks pretty good (with src and
example blocks). I do use inline tasks, I'll try with them in the next
few days.

> -----
> * Let's stress-test lists
>
>  - a list
>
>    1. Sub-item with both example and quote blocks
>       #+begin_example
>       + here is a false list
>       #+end_example
>
>       #+begin_quote
>       1. followed by a real list
>       2. of two items
>          1. and a sub-item
>

>       And some other text afterwards.
>       #+end_quote
>
>    2. Sub-item with src block
>       #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>       (message "Am I appearing?")
>       #+end_src
>
>    3. Sub-item with a drawer
>       :LOGBOOK:
>       * One
>         * One dot one
>         * One dot two
>       :END:
>
>  - and now some centering
>
>    #+begin_center
>    1. One
>    2. Two
>    #+end_center
>

>  The end.
> -----
>
> This is not a trivial patch, so it needs careful testing (and maybe
> some re-factoring). The branch can be found at:
>
>  git://github.com/ngz/org-mode-lists.git recursive-lists
>

> I still think inline tasks shouldn't be included in lists, but for
> now, let's see it as a proof of concept. I can always remove it later
> if it is "too much". The same idea applies to this whole patch: if it
> is not really needed, it will not reach master branch.
>
> Regards,
>
> -- Nicolas

Suvayu

* Re: Lists made stronger: lists within lists
@ 2010-12-13 14:49 ` Karl Maihofer
From: Karl Maihofer @ 2010-12-13 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas,

great! I just moved around some list items with inline tasks in my
800+ pages document. And it works perfect. I will do some more tests
tonight.

Thanks a lot!
Karl

@ 2010-12-13 14:50   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-12-13 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Maihofer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Dec 13, 2010, at 3:49 PM, Karl Maihofer wrote:

> Nicolas,
>
> great! I just moved around some list items with inline tasks in my
> 800+ pages document. And it works perfect. I will do some more tests
> tonight.

Thanks to you and everyone for testing.  Critical for this kind of work.

Greetings

- Carsten

> Thanks a lot!
> Karl
>

> Zitat von Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> As I had promised it here a few days ago, I just pushed a testing
>> branch allowing to have lists in blocks, drawers and inline tasks.
>> These constructs can themselves be located in lists.
>>
>> Basically, lists are allowed in every block but "src", "example" and
>> "verse". Inline tasks will not end lists, even though they start at
>> column 0. Exporters should understand quite intricate situations.
>> Here
>> is an example of this:
>>

>> -----
>> * Let's stress-test lists
>>
>>  - a list
>>
>>    1. Sub-item with both example and quote blocks
>>       #+begin_example
>>       + here is a false list
>>       #+end_example
>>
>>       #+begin_quote
>>       1. followed by a real list
>>       2. of two items
>>          1. and a sub-item
>>

>>       And some other text afterwards.
>>       #+end_quote
>>
>>    2. Sub-item with src block
>>       #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>>       (message "Am I appearing?")
>>       #+end_src
>>
>>    3. Sub-item with a drawer
>>       :LOGBOOK:
>>       * One
>>         * One dot one
>>         * One dot two
>>       :END:
>>
>>  - and now some centering
>>
>>    #+begin_center
>>    1. One
>>    2. Two
>>    #+end_center
>>

>>  The end.
>> -----
>>
>> This is not a trivial patch, so it needs careful testing (and maybe
>> some re-factoring). The branch can be found at:
>>
>>  git://github.com/ngz/org-mode-lists.git recursive-lists
>>

>> I still think inline tasks shouldn't be included in lists, but for
>> now, let's see it as a proof of concept. I can always remove it later
>> if it is "too much". The same idea applies to this whole patch: if it
>> is not really needed, it will not reach master branch.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> -- Nicolas

- Carsten