* Tracking Org-mode's git repo
@ 2009-07-29  9:05 Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-07-29  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I sat down to hack a little on our functions we wrote to compile
Org-mode without make (see
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/15264 ff).

I thought it would be nice, to do the whole bunch of actions at once for
users tracking the development version of Org-mode:

   * git
     - clone the repo
     - pull

   * Download and unpack org-latest.tar.gz in case no git is installed
     or the user doesn't want to use git to track Org.

Git cloning and pulling is now done as recommended in our FAQ
(http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#keeping-local-changes-current-with-Org-mode-development)
which is based on Bernt's suggestions, I believe. Optionally, the whole
thing sets up a local branch for you, that is rebased automatically
(again, see the FAQ entry for more no this).

What's still missing, is a function to download and unpack
org-latest.tar.gz, which I will do during the next days. We should add
that feature for people not willing/being able to install git.

I've set up a repo on github for this.

If you want to contribute, you could (a) clone/fork the repo, (b) send
me your public key that you wish to use with that repo so I can add it,
or (c) just send patches.

Best regards,

    Sebastian