Man, you guys are making me want and android phone.I sat in a cafe with a friend who grep'd his mail server from his g1 and was impressed. On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Michael Zeller < michael.dylan.zeller@gmail.com> wrote: > "Sven Bretfeld" writes: > > > > > Connecting to my PC and starting emacsclient -t via a bash-alias (`ec') > > takes about 5 seconds from everywhere. I think running (and working > > with) a native Emacs on the phone itself (which isn't available anyway) > > could never be much faster. Gnus and Org-mode are ready to go. And no > > need to synchronize. > > As an aside, you could actually run emacs natively on the g1. I've > followed the instructions from Jay Freeman (http://www.saurik.com/id/10, > seems to be down though, try using the Google cache) for installing > Debian on the g1 (on your SD card -- I recommend getting an 8GB > card). After you've installed Debian you run openssh and connect to > localhost using ConnectBot. > > Even better, you could install xorg and run emacs using AndroidVNC in X, > although I've found this to be much slower. Although, "theoretically" > you could use a browser such as Conkeror in X to follow http links, > although this is extremely slow for me. You're better off with w3m-el, > until newer hardware comes out. Also note that the keyboard under > AndroidVNC is not as nice as ConnectBot's layout. > > > > > This is the solution I always dreamed of and more than once asked about > > in this list. I can very much recommend Android (even if its > > relationship to Google can be annoying). > > I also recommend Android. > > > > > For those who want to give it a try: In ConnectBot CTRL is pressing the > > mouse ball once, META (ESC) is pressing it twice. TAB is twice pressing > > the mouse ball and hitting SPC. To expand a tree in an org file you have > > to set org-cycle to a key. Of course, you should have an internet > > flatrate if you want to write your PhD thesis that way ;-). > > With my solution, you don't need to drop all of that money on an > internet plan, but you would need to sync your org files. For using the > g1 without a plan, just buy a prepaid SIM card and connect using adb > shell when registering the phone and execute: > > am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.settings/.Settings > > to bring up the Wifi settings and register without buying a dataplan. I > spend about $10 a month prepaid and use Skype for everything else. > > > > > Greetings > > > > Sven > > Thanks, > ~Michael Zeller > > > _______________________________________________ > Emacs-orgmode mailing list > Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list. > Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org > http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode >